Are the Leafs Tough Enough for Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Dead Last in the league with 1 fighting major this season. ONE.

Franchise player Mathews gets pummeled to the boards by Kronwall tonight and the reaction was just a face wash. Nobody even challenges Kronwall or any other Red Wing the rest of the game.

Leafs no doubt are one of the most skilled teams in the league but we all know when it comes playoff time, players will be bullying and targeting their stars. Theyve moved on from Martin who has led the team in fighting by a country mile over the last few seasons.

So are they tough enough ? Who's gonna stand up to someome like Tom Wilson?

Leafs are also bottom 5 in Hits given and contending teams like Vegas Pitt and Tbay are top 5.

NHL.com - Stats
Its open season on these stars.

Last edited:

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Lol you don’t have to be “tough” anymore. If that happened in the playoffs, the team takes the 2m boarding penalty (if there is one). Remember, “the powerplay is our enforcer”. Who said that?

Soft, speed, and systems are the new league.

Edit- to the OP, it would be worse if someone went after kronwall, especially in the playoffs, you’re risking 2+5+10, and if kronwall turtles, a 7m pp.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Today league (fighting was never that common in playoff anyway) and a impressive 28% power play should do the tricks, the pens giant playoff success isn't a bad example.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Toughness is so overrated. You just get penalties that will destroy your chances. The Matthews clips does not warrant "toughness" or fighting, it was just an unfortunate fall after small contact.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Is Tampa? Was Pittsburgh?

10 years ago I say no. Today, I’d say they are fine.

Not sure why you reference those teams.

Caps are the champs and they had 22 reg season fights last year.

Vegas western champs and they wanted to get tougher for playoffs and added Ryan reaves before the playoffs last yr.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Vegas western champs and they wanted to get tougher for playoffs and added Ryan reaves before the playoffs last yr.

Oh I don’t know, maybe because one is currently leading the league and the other recently won 2 cups with a butter soft lineup? Or is last year the only one we can reference now?

I will take a team that has a 1% chance of fighting but a 25% chance of scoring on a powerplay any day.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011

Not sure for Tampa (probably because they are a cup favorite) but it is obvious for the Penguins, they just won 2 Stanley Cups and can be use has a barometer of what minimum of toughness is required to have playoff success.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Is Tampa? Was Pittsburgh?

10 years ago I say no. Today, I’d say they are fine.

Pittsburgh actually leads the league in hits per game right now. Their D will play physical with you and even Crosby the past few games has had around 2 hits a game (lo and behold, the Pens are also 5-2 in their last 7 games playing this way).

Tampa will hit you often with Gourde, Paquette, Joseph, etc. Those two teams are definitely not soft by any means.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Pittsburgh actually leads the league in hits per game right now. Their D will play physical with you and even Crosby the past few games has had around 2 hits a game (lo and behold, the Pens are also 5-2 in their last 7 games playing this way).

Tampa will hit you often with Gourde, Paquette, Joseph, etc. Those two teams are definitely not soft by any means.

Sure, but OP is using fights specifically as his metric.

Do those two teams fight a lot?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Lol you don’t have to be “tough” anymore. If that happened in the playoffs, the team takes the 2m boarding penalty (if there is one). Remember, “the powerplay is our enforcer”. Who said that?

Soft, speed, and systems are the new league.

Edit- to the OP, it wouldn’t be worse if someone went after kronwall, especially in the playoffs, you’re risking 2+5+10, and if kronwall turtles, a 7m pp.

My point isnt about Powerplay.

Who cares about powerplay if Leaf star players are injured because its open season on them.

You dont think rival teams are seeing that worthless reaction on Auston Mathews.

Ok if that was kadri or hyman then fine face wash take the PP.

But anyone so much as sneezes on Mathews let alone gives him.a questionable hit to the boards then there should be a stern reaction either in the moment or at the very least later on w. Kronwall to deter any future shananigans on them.

Reactions: Duffman955

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
I get your point but toughness can be measured in ways outside of fighting. Even though they lost against Detroit, they had the mental "toughness" to come back and score three goals in the third period where lots of fellow Leaf fans turned the TV off. I don't think the hit was dirty it just caught Matthews off balance. Using fighting majors as a way to measure playoff success seems short sighted. Even with a Matt Martin in the lineup teams would take liberties against our star players at times.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I get your point but toughness can be measured in ways outside of fighting. Even though they lost against Detroit, they had the mental "toughness" to come back and score three goals in the third period where lots of fellow Leaf fans turned the TV off. I don't think the hit was dirty it just caught Matthews off balance. Using fighting majors as a way to measure playoff success seems short sighted. Even with a Matt Martin in the lineup teams would take liberties against our star players at times.

Okay sure ill add "hits" to the original post.

Leafs are bottom 5 in the league and Vegas Pitt Tbay are top 5.
NHL.com - Stats

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
So were the 2010, 2013, and 2015 Blackhawks,.

Stats aside ,

So youre fine w. Teams seeing the way Mathews was protected or treated tnt ?

Not sure if youre a leaf fan but id assume most leaf fans would want mathews as protected as possible especially considering his injuries. Not doing anything will just give the green light to smacking him around some more in the future.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Calgary flames are last, Nashville third last in hits based off of that. Hard to have a lot of hits when you always have the puck. :sarcasm:;)

Sure but when it comes down to it those teams will fight and prorect their stars.

Hell, Travis Hamonic broke his face on Gudbransons fist beacuse Guddy hit Dube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad