Are the Leafs Tough Enough for Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I agree with you while also noting that a Babcock coached team really can't complain.
Babcock coached teams are well known for this, I know. But again, every one plays this way now. Years ago I'd agree that Babcocks teams got away with a ton. Now? Not so much. The BS interference is the norm for every team.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
He does play tough just not consistently. Before his injury he was a beast out there but has been soft since he returned for whatever reason but hoping as he gets more and more back into it and in shape and his confidence grows he gets back to that game for the playoffs.

Also it's kind of unfair to compare a 21 year old Matthews to the career's of a mid 30's HHOF's. They grew their games as they got better and stronger. Matthews and the entire team deserves more than 2 or even 3 years after being drafted to learn how to win in the playoffs.

It took Ovi over a decade.

This is what people don't seem to understand. This is a young team still growing and learning how to win. They are two and a half years into this core and the team will continue to grow and adapt.
Right now they still think they can just win on pure skill and sometimes it works. But this recent slide should teach them the need to play a complete game. It has very little to nothing to do with how tough they are.

Reactions: The Kessel Run

Apr 9, 2009
USA
He does play tough just not consistently. Before his injury he was a beast out there but has been soft since he returned for whatever reason but hoping as he gets more and more back into it and in shape and his confidence grows he gets back to that game for the playoffs.

Also it's kind of unfair to compare a 21 year old Matthews to the career's of a mid 30's HHOF's. They grew their games as they got better and stronger. Matthews and the entire team deserves more than 2 or even 3 years after being drafted to learn how to win in the playoffs.

It took Ovi over a decade.

Crosby had a cup at 22. Malkin 23. Both had also been to the finals the previous season at 21/22.

I'm not saying it's fair or not, just adding context. They might deserve more than 2-3 years, but they're being compared to some good players, so I'd take the comparison as a compliment.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I think mental toughness is the team's problem not physical toughness. They were leading going into 3rd period of game 7 last year, and didn't even show up for the 1st two games before losing. The year before that against the caps, they lost because of a poor lazy and dumb coverage by their d-man in game 6. Anybody can hit people, but the ones that win have the mental fortitude to make the clutch plays at do-or-die moments. That's what the leafs lack atm, and that'll probably come with experience considering how young and inexperienced the core is. People forget that the majority of the go to guys on that team are 24 or under, and those core guys have played at most 2 playoff series.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Crosby had a cup at 22. Malkin 23. Both had also been to the finals the previous season at 21/22.

I'm not saying it's fair or not, just adding context. They might deserve more than 2-3 years, but they're being compared to some good players, so I'd take the comparison as a compliment.

Cups are team accomplishments. I do expect ECF this year, but not winning doesnt diminish how good a player is, there are a lot of good teams in the league.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It has been said, but it’s a mental thing more than anything. Some teams get there faster than others. Some never get tough enough. But I don’t think there’s a sta that can predict it. It’ll just be a matter of time. The leafs seem poised to take a next step though.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I think mental toughness is the team's problem not physical toughness. They were leading going into 3rd period of game 7 last year, and didn't even show up for the 1st two games before losing. The year before that against the caps, they lost because of a poor lazy and dumb coverage by their d-man in game 6. Anybody can hit people, but the ones that win have the mental fortitude to make the clutch plays at do-or-die moments. That's what the leafs lack atm, and that'll probably come with experience considering how young and inexperienced the core is. People forget that the majority of the go to guys on that team are 24 or under, and those core guys have played at most 2 playoff series.
I mean, they lost the Washington series because they were against a clearly better team (23 point gap between the teams). They were the 8th seed playing against the best team in the NHL, and they managed to take 5/6 games into OT. Boston last year was also a clearly better team (7 point gap between teams, and Boston was on a rampage after the new year and their injuries came back). The Leafs battled that series to the 3rd period of game 7. There is a bit of a narrative that seems to be spreading around that the Leafs have choked or massively under-performed in the playoffs - which really isn't the case so far.

Unfortunately, the Leafs are in a situation where they won't be getting an easy 1st round matchup anytime soon. They aren't going to pass the Lightning, and because of how moronic the playoffs are set up it means they will be playing against a 105+ point team with whoever comes 2/3 in the Atlantic. The honestly would be better of if they could get the 7th (WC) spot and match up against the best team in the Metro.

RockTheRedDC

Apr 26, 2013
I mean, they lost the Washington series because they were against a clearly better team (23 point gap between the teams). They were the 8th seed playing against the best team in the NHL, and they managed to take 5/6 games into OT. Boston last year was also a clearly better team (7 point gap between teams, and Boston was on a rampage after the new year and their injuries came back). The Leafs battled that series to the 3rd period of game 7. There is a bit of a narrative that seems to be spreading around that the Leafs have choked or massively under-performed in the playoffs - which really isn't the case so far.

Unfortunately, the Leafs are in a situation where they won't be getting an easy 1st round matchup anytime soon. They aren't going to pass the Lightning, and because of how moronic the playoffs are set up it means they will be playing against a 105+ point team with whoever comes 2/3 in the Atlantic. The honestly would be better of if they could get the 7th (WC) spot and match up against the best team in the Metro.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham

McDavid hasn't won a cup or been t the finals. If he doesn't win one this coming year are we going to look at him differently?

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham

The way the playoffs are set up is beyond stupid.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
honestly would be better of if they could get the 7th (WC) spot and match up against the best team in the Metro.

Really? You would rather start on the road against the Capitals? By that time the Caps will possibly have the 2nd best record in the east/league. They are closing on that now. They no longer have the playoff choker monkey around their necks. Yet you would rather play them then the 4th best record in the conference and start at home?

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Really? You would rather start on the road against the Capitals? By that time the Caps will possibly have the 2nd best record in the east/league. They are closing on that now. They no longer have the playoff choker monkey around their necks. Yet you would rather play them then the 4th best record in the conference and start at home?
Yes, I would much rather face the Caps/Pens/BJs than Boston/TB in the 1st round. I do not think they end the season with a top-2 record in the east either, possibly not even top-3.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes, I would much rather face the Caps/Pens/BJs than Boston/TB in the 1st round. I do not think they end the season with a top-2 record in the east either, possibly not even top-3.

I asked specifically about the Capitals. They are 10-3 in their last 13 w/9 on the road. They are 4pts back of TO with a game in hand and coming on.

You would really rather play them and give home ice than play Buffalo or Boston? Ok.

One further note. If Toronto falls to the wc, they wont be competitive

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
You are not paying attention. Caps have then best last 10 in the east other than TB. They are 10-3 in their last 13 with 9 on the road. They are 4pts behind Toronto with a game in hand. They are the Cup champs who returned almost the whole team.

Yet you think they will fade and would rather play them than Buffalo or Boston? ok
I never said I would rather play Washington than Buffalo, that would be an easy choice. I think Boston and TB are stronger teams (when healthy) than the Caps. The season is much longer than 10 games. I don't require you to agree with me. I also got a lot of pushback when I said I didn't think Pittsburgh was an elite team this year in the offseason.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I never said I would rather play Washington than Buffalo, that would be an easy choice. I think Boston and TB are stronger teams (when healthy) than the Caps. The season is much longer than 10 games. I don't require you to agree with me. I also got a lot of pushback when I said I didn't think Pittsburgh was an elite team this year in the offseason.

I will accept the insult as given. Good luck

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003

Not that it changes your point, but Crosby/Malkin won the cup at 21/22. Cup finals at 20/21.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Stats aside ,

So youre fine w. Teams seeing the way Mathews was protected or treated tnt ?

Not sure if youre a leaf fan but id assume most leaf fans would want mathews as protected as possible especially considering his injuries. Not doing anything will just give the green light to smacking him around some more in the future.

Jumping a guy after a questionable hit isn’t protecting him. Protecting a player is preventing the questionable hit in the first place and useless goons don’t do that.

Oh teams want toughness. Problem is, you go out looking for it and you end up with a Lucic fiasco. That's why it's silly to overreact and make a big move for toughness. Skill still wins games.

Never forget that Milan Lucic was on the ice when Matt Cooke ended Marc Savard’s career.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I didnt see the game but i just saw the highlights and it seems that another Leaf skilled player took a dirty/questionable hit.

Did someone step up to Brouwer either in the moment or sometime after, during the game??

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
I didnt see the game but i just saw the highlights and it seems that another Leaf skilled player took a dirty/questionable hit.

Did someone step up to Brouwer either in the moment or sometime after, during the game??
every time a leafs player "steps up" its a penalty or a suspension.

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017

You think facing the Caps is a better matchup? Careful what ya wish for..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->