All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XVII: The Read A Book Edition

Is Mayonnaise An Instrument?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What are the current mask rules in NJ, PA and MD?

It seems like DE has one of the most strict face mask policies around.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I hope he does shut it down and shut himself up...so sick of all the polarizing duckspeak..

Twitter-Trump clash intensifies political misinformation battle

Duckspeak-meaning "to quack like a duck". excerpt from 1984, Appendix, The Principles of Newspeak, page 241-251: ... What was required, above all for political purposes, was short clipped words of unmistakable meaning which could be uttered rapidly and which roused the minimum of echoes in the speaker's mind.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Don't look at prices of power 9 and such. You won't be happy. That's the "mom threw out my baseball cards" of that generation of kids.

I play Vintage, which is the only thing that still allows Moxen, Time Walk, etc. Almost no one plays it. I just got lucky that I still have it all. They probably play Commander, which can be done cheaply or expensively. But even the cheap decks can be very good.

Don't even worry about it. Unless you've got one of a few specific Thornton RCs in there, it's not worth the time to dig through. It would have been in a case of some sort as they were always the most valuable things in the set.

Because I'm feeling too good about myself today, I'll exhume my story about having successfully collected the 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee series, including a Wayne Gretzky rookie card. I was so proud of having finally gotten an entire set that I Scotch-taped the whole set into a binder. What's worse, I can't even find the card anymore.
I can't even find the card anymore

crying-child.jpg

I did have a second one that my best friend gave me in a box of his cards just before he moved to Saudi Arabia. About 5 years ago, he visited from Australia and I gave it back to him, with instructions to take very good care of it. I hope he cashed in!

Re: MTG, my wife and I started playing during the betas. I can't believe I bought her a Shivan Dragon ($20) for her birthday back then. Recently, I sold 6 dual lands and a couple of minor cards for $1000. They were played so not full value but still, $1000 in my pocket vs them sitting in a shoebox in the rec room.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Because I'm feeling too good about myself today, I'll exhume my story about having successfully collected the 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee series, including a Wayne Gretzky rookie card. I was so proud of having finally gotten an entire set that I Scotch-taped the whole set into a binder. What's worse, I can't even find the card anymore.

crying-child.jpg

I did have a second one that my best friend gave me in a box of his cards just before he moved to Saudi Arabia. About 5 years ago, he visited from Australia and I gave it back to him, with instructions to take very good care of it. I hope he cashed in!

Re: MTG, my wife and I started playing during the betas. I can't believe I bought her a Shivan Dragon ($20) for her birthday back then. Recently, I sold 6 dual lands and a couple of minor cards for $1000. They were played so not full value but still, $1000 in my pocket vs them sitting in a shoebox in the rec room.
When we head up to Canada for card hunting on this newly proposed YouTube channel funded by my soon to be lottery win, we're headed your way.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
And the default assumed interaction of someone calling your dog over isn't kidnapping. What the hell are we doing here?

"The media" is not one entity out to get everyone. They cover news. Like every other public-facing profession, there are those that are good at their jobs and there are those that appeal to the lowest common denominator. There's no need to lump the former in with the latter. In Flyers terms, not everyone is Carchidi and if you're treating them all that way, it speaks to your character and no one else's.

The sad matter is that the media largely have become agents of polarity. Yes, this goes back as far as the first "official" scroll of goings-on and so many states have established their propaganda vehicles, but I would love to hear just facts without obvious agendas. CNN sharpened that stick as the first 24-hour infotainment entity and then Fox jumped the shark in the opposite direction. It makes me sad as a holder of a journalism degree.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The sad matter is that the media largely have become agents of polarity. Yes, this goes back as far as the first "official" scroll of goings-on and so many states have established their propaganda vehicles, but I would love to hear just facts without obvious agendas. CNN sharpened that stick as the first 24-hour infotainment entity and then Fox jumped the shark in the opposite direction. It makes me sad as a holder of a journalism degree.

I blame Franco.

Reactions: Kermit the Prog

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
When we head up to Canada for card hunting on this newly proposed YouTube channel funded by my soon to be lottery win, we're headed your way.

I so badly wish I had footage from one large card show in particular. 97 Bowman Chrome baseball was still the hottest set. What made this special was that this was the day Kerry Wood struck out 20. His Chrome RCs were $50 when we arrived. At 15 Ks and with each successive one, the price went up and up and up until dealers were asking $300 each by the end of the game.

Reactions: Chinatown88

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

There is a tendency to see opposites as equivalents, both media outlets and the talkings heads format.
However, you have to separate opinion from reporting facts.

Outside of Chris Wallace, Fox News has no news, it's purely a polemic (actually that's charitable, Hannity for example, isn't coherent enough to engage in polemic). It is not just that they're biased, there's an almost complete disregard for the truth, making them more like a video tabloid than a news network.

CNN has drifted leftward, but is still far more centralist than credited, it's just as Fox has moved to Brietbart land that what was once considered "moderate" has been labeled "leftist."

MSNBC is to the left of CNN, but even they have a far greater respect for "facts" than Fox News.
Remember, Joe Scarborough was a Republican Congressman from the Panhandle of Florida, and Nicole Wallace was the press secretary for Jeb Bush and Director of Media Affairs for the Bush Administration, and that's on your "left wing" cable network.

However, all cable channels have a tendency toward opinion and hyperbole to keep the attention of their viewers.

The print media is pretty balanced, once you ignore the editorial pages and opinion pieces, which are designed to be, well, opinions.

The biggest difference between the NY Times and Wash Post and the WSJ is where news stories are placed in the paper (and that there are fewer stories and in-depth reporting in the WSJ since their reporting staff was slashed by Murdoch), not the content of stories. A story that is bad news for the administration might be page 1 on the NYT and Post, but page 4 in the WSJ and south of the fold. But all three "elite" papers have similar readers, who aren't interested in polemics in their news (since they're making decisions off that news and value accuracy) - they resort to the editorial/opinions to have their prejudices stoked.

Magazines like the Atlantic and New Yorker have high journalistic standards for their leading stories (the Rolling Stone a bit less), because their economics are highly dependent on their reputation (and in the age of the internet, glaring errors are quickly reported).

You just have to use a little common sense when reading the news.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
There is a tendency to see opposites as equivalents, both media outlets and the talkings heads format.
However, you have to separate opinion from reporting facts.

Outside of Chris Wallace, Fox News has no news, it's purely a polemic (actually that's charitable, Hannity for example, isn't coherent enough to engage in polemic). It is not just that they're biased, there's an almost complete disregard for the truth, making them more like a video tabloid than a news network.

CNN has drifted leftward, but is still far more centralist than credited, it's just as Fox has moved to Brietbart land that what was once considered "moderate" has been labeled "leftist."

MSNBC is to the left of CNN, but even they have a far greater respect for "facts" than Fox News.
Remember, Joe Scarborough was a Republican Congressman from the Panhandle of Florida, and Nicole Wallace was the press secretary for Jeb Bush and Director of Media Affairs for the Bush Administration, and that's on your "left wing" cable network.

However, all cable channels have a tendency toward opinion and hyperbole to keep the attention of their viewers.

The print media is pretty balanced, once you ignore the editorial pages and opinion pieces, which are designed to be, well, opinions.

The biggest difference between the NY Times and Wash Post and the WSJ is where news stories are placed in the paper (and that their are fewer stories and in-depth reporting in the WSJ since their reporting staff was slashed by Murdoch), not the content of stories. A story that is bad news for the administration might be page 1 on the NYT and Post, but page 4 in the WSJ and south of the fold. But all three "elite" papers have similar readers, who aren't interested in polemics in their news (since they're making decisions off that news and value accuracy) - they resort to the editorial/opinions to have their prejudices stoked.

Magazines like the Atlantic and New Yorker have high journalistic standards for their leading stories (the Rolling Stone a bit less), because their economics are highly dependent on their reputation (and in the age of the internet, glaring errors are quickly reported).

You just have to use a little common sense when reading the news.
Left ...right ...blah blah blah. News organizations are corporate entities that serve narrow interests and frame the political discourse typically on wedge issues of race, religion, gender, guns, sexuality etc. It rarely addresses class and power structures in any honest or meaningful way....

Reactions: Defect

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Left ...right ...blah blah blah. News organizations are corporate entities that serve narrow interests and frame the political discourse typically on wedge issues of race, religion, gender, guns, sexuality etc. It rarely addresses class and power structures in any honest or meaningful way....

That's why you have sociology classes taught by Marxist professors on the government payroll. To balance it out. :sarcasm:

Actually, I've read numerous articles detailing the inequities of the crisis and the response.
Even in the WSJ.
Corporate entities want to make money, elite newspapers only make money by attracting elite, wealthy readers, who want trustworthy news because they're often policymakers or business decision makers who need good information.

FOX News is not a news organization, it's a right wing infomercial network. Financially it works, or they'd report real news.

The economics of TV and print are different, TV makes money on immediacy and retaining viewer attention, but even then, other than FOX and the Sinclair Network, which sees news and political lobbying as one and the same, the cable news networks tend to regard a modicum of credibility as one of the keys to viewer loyalty.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The new one is likely going to suck too but at least it kind of forged it’s own path some with some new (main) characters.
Yeah, at least it looks like they put some effort put into it.

Honestly, I didn't really care for the original (watched it for the first time like a year or two ago) so I'm not too interested in the franchise regardless, but at least it's not a near copy of the first movie, made by people who clearly don't understand what made the first one so popular.

Last edited:
Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
This website is acting up and timing out and such. Was there some major hockey news released in the last few minutes?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One of the side benefits of the COVID crisis will be better design of buildings and airplanes to reduce air flow in a pattern that spreads viruses.
This will reduce the spread of seasonal flu over time, as well as reduce the rapid spread of any new pathogen in the future.

It won't substitute for quick action and developing emergency capacity and stockpiles of tests and PPE when the next pandemic strikes, but it will make our infrastructure safer in the long-run.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Yeah, at least it looks like they put some effort put into it.

Honestly, I didn't really care for the original (watched it for the first time like a year or two ago) so I'm not too interested in the franchise regardless, but at least it's not a near close of the first movie, made by people who clearly don't understand what made the first one so popular.
This is a toe take, go to your room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad