All Purpose Coronavirus Discussion Part XVII: The Read A Book Edition

Is Mayonnaise An Instrument?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I highly recommend this video. The movie was obviously awful but this does a good job of breaking down why it was so horrible.

It wasn't awful, it was just meh, like most remakes.

It's hard to make good comedy, most comedy movies the last couple decades are either full of unimaginative sex/gross out jokes or play like an inflated TV hour show.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The old or new one? I haven't seen either. :laugh:

Old ones. For example.

EmUMpA9.gif

Reactions: Striiker

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That looks like stop-motion claymation. :laugh:

Yeah. The cgi is admittedly not good but it’s like 1987 for the first movie. 1990 for the second one & the third one I don’t acknowledge anyway.

They’re just good action movies with some pretty graphic violence (the first two are, the third one went kid friendly).

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yeah. The cgi is admittedly not good but it’s like 1987 for the first movie. 1992 for the second one & the third one I don’t acknowledge anyway.

They’re just good action movies with some pretty graphic violence (the first two are, the third one went kid friendly).
I have a list of like 200 movies/shows I'm going to eventually get to and those are on it.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It's hard to make good comedy, most comedy movies the last couple decades are either full of unimaginative sex/gross out jokes or play like an inflated TV hour show.

Comedy is so damn difficult and mediocre comedy is received much more harshly than mediocre action or drama.

They also get less budgetary space and are less likely to be greenlit in the first place because they don't play well overseas. There were changes in the purchasing procedures of studios that make them prefer pre-packaged concepts with existing scripts, casts, and directors. Then you have the spectacle genres cannibalizing movie theater space as well as often trying to have significant comedic elements. The high quality writers have largely moved away from movies and into other mediums for so many reasons.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Comedy is so damn difficult and mediocre comedy is received much more harshly than mediocre action or drama.

They also get less budgetary space and are less likely to be greenlit in the first place because they don't play well overseas. There were changes in the purchasing procedures of studios that make them prefer pre-packaged concepts with existing scripts, casts, and directors. Then you have the spectacle genres cannibalizing movie theater space as well as often trying to have significant comedic elements. The high quality writers have largely moved away from movies and into other mediums for so many reasons.
It's tough because action is action but whats funny is so subjective.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
They have to be playoff games since the regular season is over.

You would think so, wouldn't you? But that's not what they said yesterday.

They also ended the Regular Season, so they're just games that exist in a vacuum and stats go into no pre-existing buckets. I don't know why this drives me so nuts.

Reactions: orangey

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
The sad matter is that the media largely have become agents of polarity. Yes, this goes back as far as the first "official" scroll of goings-on and so many states have established their propaganda vehicles, but I would love to hear just facts without obvious agendas. CNN sharpened that stick as the first 24-hour infotainment entity and then Fox jumped the shark in the opposite direction. It makes me sad as a holder of a journalism degree.
Watch the BBC

Reactions: BernieParent

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Because I'm feeling too good about myself today, I'll exhume my story about having successfully collected the 1979-80 O-Pee-Chee series, including a Wayne Gretzky rookie card. I was so proud of having finally gotten an entire set that I Scotch-taped the whole set into a binder. What's worse, I can't even find the card anymore.
I can't even find the card anymore
I can't even find the card anymore

crying-child.jpg

I did have a second one that my best friend gave me in a box of his cards just before he moved to Saudi Arabia. About 5 years ago, he visited from Australia and I gave it back to him, with instructions to take very good care of it. I hope he cashed in!

Re: MTG, my wife and I started playing during the betas. I can't believe I bought her a Shivan Dragon ($20) for her birthday back then. Recently, I sold 6 dual lands and a couple of minor cards for $1000. They were played so not full value but still, $1000 in my pocket vs them sitting in a shoebox in the rec room.

I have so many cards in boxes in my apartment I dont know what to do with. I haven’t collected in about 12 years anyway.
Mario Lemieux OPC, Ray Bourque OPC are my oldest rookies in hockey. Crosby UD rookie is probably my most valuable. Have the Ovechkin RC as well from that set along with many others from that year.
Haven’t looked at a beckett guide in years tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad