Alex Barkov wins the Selke

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Nothing against Barkov he's a hell of a player im talking more in general of the Selke winners.

Actually it is about reputation. Once a player has proven to be among the best they will get the votes. Every year is the same 4 or 5 guys that get all the votes for this trophy and a couple others and there are lots of guys who may have had better seasons that get overlooked. Not saying Barkov doesn't deserve it, but you knew Bergeron was getting a Top 3, and frankly I was very confident Stone was as well. Right now, these 3 are the go to guys, and unless a Danault blows the doors off the other more popular guys, he won't get the nod. Couturier is another guy that would get lots of votes even in years when he maybe wasn't as good.

Reactions: flamesforcup

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I think you have to be absolutely clueless if you don't think Barkov should be in the Selke-discussion. He's very good defensively and you'd be hardpressed to point defensive misreads etc. in his play when you actually watch the games. He cannot have same statistics, however, as those who play with elite teams. He plays with mediocre defensive players and Florida's D is more offensive minded than Boston's. Look at Ekblad for example.

17thRoundPick

Mar 19, 2015
I wish there was separate awards for best all-around/two-way forward and best defensive forward.
Anyway, Barkov deserves a trophy.

Reactions: Laus723

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Barkov had a much better defensive year and good enough for a lot of the eyes to vote him in. But the numbers paint a different story.

Then compare that to who Bergeron plays with compared to who Barkov's linemates are.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
By far the worst defensive season of the finalists so of course the writers chose him.

that said, love barkov. Come to Boston

Reactions: BTO

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Tbh, even as an analytics guy, I don't hate this. He improved a lot this year.

Is he as good as Bergeron? No, but nobody is. Does Bergeron really need to win ten straight Selke's? Like, we get it.

If I had a vote, I give to to Danault, but I don't have a vote, and I don't really think this one is off the wall. Stone will get his turn.

Matter of fact, I don't think a bad defensive player has ever won the Selke in the age of analytics. It's definitely an award you get two years too late if you're a finalist a bunch of times (Kopitar, Kesler) but all of the winners since the lockout were at least good defensively at some point.

People complain about it too much.

It’s the award for best defensive forward. It should go to that person every year. Unfortunately nhl writers think like this and it’s made all of the awards a joke.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Now lets put Bergeron on Florida Panthers and Barkov on Boston Bruins.

All things aren't equal and that's why Bergeron won't win the award every year of his career.

except all these numbers are relative and account for this.

there’s literally no cogent argument that barkov is the best defensive player of these three other than “I think it’s true.” I love this player, it’s not about barkov. It’s more about the media that covers the sport we all love doesn’t really know much about it or have any interest in learning and that kinda sucks.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Let’s put this in perspective for people. Barkov has a rep as a defensive forward yet his defensive numbers are inferior to Jack Hughes who isn’t considered a great defensive forward, and who does his damage with interceptions and takeaways in the neutral and offensive zone.

The award probably should’ve went to Stone or Bergeron.
You make a better argument if you actually post those numbers you're referring to.

Reactions: Laus723

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I think you have to be absolutely clueless if you don't think Barkov should be in the Selke-discussion. He's very good defensively and you'd be hardpressed to point defensive misreads etc. in his play when you actually watch the games. He cannot have same statistics, however, as those who play with elite teams. He plays with mediocre defensive players and Florida's D is more offensive minded than Boston's. Look at Ekblad for example.

He's being carried by Bobrovsky and Yandle

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
except all these numbers are relative and account for this.

there’s literally no cogent argument that barkov is the best defensive player of these three other than “I think it’s true.” I love this player, it’s not about barkov. It’s more about the media that covers the sport we all love doesn’t really know much about it or have any interest in learning and that kinda sucks.
Relative to different things. You can dig out any amount of individual relative statistics but it still won't change the fact that there's 5 other players on the ice with him.

Reactions: urho

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Tbh, even as an analytics guy, I don't hate this. He improved a lot this year.

Is he as good as Bergeron? No, but nobody is. Does Bergeron really need to win ten straight Selke's? Like, we get it.

If I had a vote, I give to to Danault, but I don't have a vote, and I don't really think this one is off the wall. Stone will get his turn.

Matter of fact, I don't think a bad defensive player has ever won the Selke in the age of analytics. It's definitely an award you get two years too late if you're a finalist a bunch of times (Kopitar, Kesler) but all of the winners since the lockout were at least good defensively at some point.

People complain about it too much.

So I hear you on the “what are you going to give Bergeron 10 straight Selkes”.

Just want him to win one more before he hangs them up. But, I’d prefer it happens in a year he deserves it instead of how Lidstrom won his last Norris.

Reactions: BTO and Mully

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013

I think that 2nd tweet does a great job of summing it up. I don’t trust these “player isolation” models fully.

From an xGF% standpoint, the Barkov line was the best in the NHL this season. Consider the teammates and you quickly get to your answer on why and the result we have for the Selke trophy.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
A 90 point player with Selke level defence?

The guy is going to get a massive contract when his current deal is up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad