Alex Barkov wins the Selke

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I think that 2nd tweet does a great job of summing it up. I don’t trust these “player isolation” models fully.

From an xGF% standpoint, the Barkov line was the best in the NHL this season. Consider the teammates and you quickly get to your answer on why and the result we have for the Selke trophy.

So XGF% is the metric behind defensive dominance deserving of a Selke?

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Again:

Marchand - Bergeron - Pasternak

Verheaghe/Tippett - Barkov - Marchment/Duclair

Pacioretty - Tuch - Stone

Who of Bergeron / Barkov / Stone has the least support? 2 of the players have solid 1st liners to play with, 1 has 3rd liners.

I`d like to see what Barkov would do if put here:

Marchand - Barkov - Pasternak

I bet he would have 100+ points in a full season and his defensive numbers would also skyrocket.
You have no clue what you’re talking about. Genuinely.

just say you don’t understand advanced stats and that you forgot they take into account the players they play with. Barkov not having better support does not impact him being worse individually on defense than the other two.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I think that 2nd tweet does a great job of summing it up. I don’t trust these “player isolation” models fully.

From an xGF% standpoint, the Barkov line was the best in the NHL this season. Consider the teammates and you quickly get to your answer on why and the result we have for the Selke trophy.

Also, further down that tweet

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Then compare that to who Bergeron plays with compared to who Barkov's linemates are.
The charts take this into account. Maybe the Barkov defenders should actually know what theyre talking about before getting defensive about people rightfully saying he’s not the best defensive forward of the bunch.

Reactions: burstnbloom

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I posted the charts. Sorry you intentionally skipped over them.

Sorry, I replied before checking the rest of the thread. Indeed your chart was on the very next page of the convo. Nothing intentional, just sloppy of me.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

The voting seems so random the further down you go. Don’t know why media members who are no more knowledgeable then quite a few posters on these boards get to vote. They just make it seem like a joke at times.

Also, congrats Barkov and Florida fans. I know y’all couldn’t be more proud. Hope y’all can keep building on what you got down there.

Reactions: Laus723

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Stone robbed. It’s the least legit of the “big awards” though as it’s so heavily reputation based

Stone is going to have to put up a monster year and hope some of the top end Selke caliber centers have off years to get a win. Centers simply are put into position to have a greater emphasis and impact on defense than wingers, even the great ones like Stone and Marchand.

Reactions: BRUINS since 1995

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
The fact that Henrik Zetterberg never won a Selke has caused this award to lose a bit of meaning to me.

He was the greatest "shadow" I have seen in the last 20 years.

You want a superstar on the other team erased? Just have Zetterberg throw a blanket over them.

Instead the voters kept giving the award to Datsyuk because of his "takeaways" statistic.

I have heard Mike Babcock say on more than one occasion that Zetterberg was his go-to shutdown forward.

Look at the job Zetterberg did to Crosby in back-to-back Finals. And I am a huge Crosby fan.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
The fact that Henrik Zetterberg never won a Selke has caused this award to lose a bit of meaning to me.

He was the greatest "shadow" I have seen in the last 20 years.

You want a superstar on the other team erased? Just have Zetterberg throw a blanket over them.

Instead the voters kept giving the award to Datsyuk because of his "takeaways" statistic.

I have heard Mike Babcock say on more than one occasion that Zetterberg was his go-to shutdown forward.

Look at the job Zetterberg did to Crosby in back-to-back Finals. And I am a huge Crosby fan.

This. Datsyuk was a wizard on the ice, but in terms of defending and shutting down the other team he was very overrated.

Reactions: SotasicA

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Relative to different things. You can dig out any amount of individual relative statistics but it still won't change the fact that there's 5 other players on the ice with him.

except they normalize for line mates. Look, I get it. You don’t want people besmirching your favorite player who also happens to be a 99th percentile player. It feels nitpicky. But the argument isn’t that advanced stats are wrong when you don’t get how they work. It’s that you don’t believe in them, that’s fine

but the point remains, barkov, while great, didn’t actually even have a positive defensive impact this season and just won the defensive award. meanwhile, my guy, was provably the best defensive asset on the best defensive team and didn’t win it because hockey writers won’t let him pass bob gainey. The whole process is stupid to the point of meaning nothing because the people who vote on it are lazy and dumb.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Cool, although I don't think he should win it over Stone.
After reading this thread, maybe they need to make the Corsi Award (completely based on advanced stats) to satisfy the analytics crowd.
Is Barkov the league leader in plus/minus then? Or what exactly?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
'Ah, the thread where everyone tell you what analytic data, or eye test, deserves to prove who wins the award.

Reactions: Laus723

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Difficult to compare this season with the varying divisions. Barkov in the top 3 is justified, but the landslide vote with 11 voters leaving Bergeron out of the top 5 shows how hard these "media" personalities are trying to be MLB's award voters. It is a terrible look. A new system for voting where competent voters, such as peers or management, decide the award winners would be ideal.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
except they normalize for line mates. Look, I get it. You don’t want people besmirching your favorite player who also happens to be a 99th percentile player. It feels nitpicky. But the argument isn’t that advanced stats are wrong when you don’t get how they work. It’s that you don’t believe in them, that’s fine

but the point remains, barkov, while great, didn’t actually even have a positive defensive impact this season and just won the defensive award. meanwhile, my guy, was provably the best defensive asset on the best defensive team and didn’t win it because hockey writers won’t let him pass bob gainey. The whole process is stupid to the point of meaning nothing because the people who vote on it are lazy and dumb.
“Didn’t have a positive impact” lmao.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad