Alex Barkov wins the Selke

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
I thought Stone should have won it but you know he's a winger. I like how Draisaitl got 2 2nd place votes despite being one of the worst players defensively at even strength.
Stone honestly should’ve won a few times already, especially over this year since this was one of his weaker years defensively, which is still better than Barkovs.

Would’ve been fine with him or Bergeron.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Let’s put this in perspective for people. Barkov has a rep as a defensive forward yet his defensive numbers are inferior to Jack Hughes who isn’t considered a great defensive forward, and who does his damage with interceptions and takeaways in the neutral and offensive zone.

The award probably should’ve went to Stone or Bergeron.
LOL you’re embarassing yourself now.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Going down the list of 'premier' defensive F to make sure everyone gets one. Of the 3, Barkov was easily 3rd.

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
BF6ACECE-EAA2-48FE-9CBC-961CBFA394A4.jpeg
EEB4AC0B-381E-4017-8154-9A9407B73F54.jpeg
CA14244B-A895-4472-8EDD-F05D6BF20E18.jpeg

should’ve been Bergerons when you look at this. Barkov has no business winning over either one of them.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I remember reading The Hockey News magazine a few years ago and a scout compared Barkov to McKinnon and he said McKinnon is a better defensive forward than Barkov. He said Barkov didnt look above average deffensivley to him. Was suprisee to see a big scout to say that. Glad Barkov finally got some well deserved hardware but was expecting Stone to win it this season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Tbh, even as an analytics guy, I don't hate this. He improved a lot this year.

Is he as good as Bergeron? No, but nobody is. Does Bergeron really need to win ten straight Selke's? Like, we get it.

If I had a vote, I give to to Danault, but I don't have a vote, and I don't really think this one is off the wall. Stone will get his turn.

Matter of fact, I don't think a bad defensive player has ever won the Selke in the age of analytics. It's definitely an award you get two years too late if you're a finalist a bunch of times (Kopitar, Kesler) but all of the winners since the lockout were at least good defensively at some point.

People complain about it too much.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Let’s put this in perspective for people. Barkov has a rep as a defensive forward yet his defensive numbers are inferior to Jack Hughes who isn’t considered a great defensive forward, and who does his damage with interceptions and takeaways in the neutral and offensive zone.

The award probably should’ve went to Stone or Bergeron.

You just made great argument to not trust some random stats blindly. Lol.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I thought Stone should have won it but you know he's a winger. I like how Draisaitl got 2 2nd place votes despite being one of the worst players defensively at even strength.
Got anything to backup that he was one of the worst players defensively at even strength?

With that said he has no business being in this voting.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Tbh, even as an analytics guy, I don't hate this. He improved a lot this year.

Is he as good as Bergeron? No, but nobody is. Does Bergeron really need to win ten straight Selke's? Like, we get it.

If I had a vote, I give to to Danault, but I don't have a vote, and I don't really think this one is off the wall. Stone will get his turn.

Matter of fact, I don't think a bad defensive player has ever won the Selke in the age of analytics. It's definitely an award you get two years too late if you're a finalist a bunch of times (Kopitar, Kesler) but all of the winners since the lockout were at least good defensively at some point.

People complain about it too much.

If he's the best defensive forward in the NHL each of those 10 years than yes lol.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm surprised Matthews only got 1 fifth place vote. Figured the Toronto media would push him a bit more given the offensive season he had.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad