Adam Boqvist Appreciation Thread

Crow

May 19, 2014
This roster proved how underwhelming it is talent and coaching wise with the 22nd place finish and worst-ranked defense. We had two #1 goalies and were still awful.

Every single player on the team, including Kane, had stretches of season where they played below their expected level.
Seems like every player other than Lemieux and Gretz do that. Even Draisaitl completely sucked for like a month this year.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
This roster proved how underwhelming it is talent and coaching wise with the 22nd place finish and worst-ranked defense. We had two #1 goalies and were still awful.

Every single player on the team, including Kane, had stretches of season where they played below their expected level.
Again I think they underachieved. They should have been a few points out of the playoffs at worst. I don't think their talent on D is as bad as the results. I put it mostly on Colliton.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It is not JC's fault they did not perform.
JC is responsible for the defensive system and it's crap. It's basically a Chinese fire drill in their own zone and nobody knows their job.

I have no idea how this ended up in this thread could someone move this to the general Hawks discussion thread?

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadianHawks

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
JC is responsible for the defensive system and it's crap. It's basically a Chinese fire drill in their own zone and nobody knows their job.

I have no idea how this ended up in this thread could someone move this to the general Hawks discussion thread?

Last time I checked losing your man and having weak coverage was not JC's defensive plan.

If the Hawks want to improve their team defense they need to start with tightening up their coverage.

This ended up like this because you made a bad hot take and then decided to double down multiple times...

Reactions: bwana63

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Last time I checked losing your man and having weak coverage was not JC's defensive plan.

If the Hawks want to improve their team defense they need to start with tightening up their coverage.

This ended up like this because you made a bad hot take and then decided to double down multiple times...

Well no shit, that's not his plan but that's how it's happening in execution. No coach plans to have a bad system but sometimes it just happens.

JC's defensive system sucks if it neuters offense if they play decent defense.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
No shit? You were just claiming it was a systems issue. It is a player not doing their job issue...
That can be a coaching issue too. They're where they're supposed to be but guys are still wide open. This is what I believe is happening. The players are doing their job 90% of the time but offensive players are still getting great scoring chances.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The only person who knows where they're supposed to be is JC and the players themselves.

Who are you to say where they're supposed to be?

Anyone who has the slightest clue about hockey knows that they are out of position and are not playing D correctly. It is blatantly obvious.

This is just a lame backtrack.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Anyone who has the slightest clue about hockey knows that they are out of position and are not playing D correctly. It is blatantly obvious.

This is just a lame backtrack.

Still not necessarily a player issue.

Players could still be out of position because the coach is asking them to do something that isn't realistic and only doable in theory and not in practice.

That's what I think is happening and why the D system sucks so badly. He's asking them to do things that can only be done in theory. When it comes to putting it into practice it becomes a disaster because it just can't be done.

It's either that or Keith isn't as good as we think he is anymore.

Idk, I haven't watched hockey in a while so maybe I need to refresh my memory a bit.

I never played and if you did I'll concede this to you. There's a different level of knowledge that comes with actually playing that I admit I don't have.

I think that JC's D system relies too much on perfect communication and interchanging positions. It's good in theory but impossible in practice.

Last edited:

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Bartending downtown. At least I was prior to COVID. The restaurant reopened a few weeks ago and it’s been a disaster. Terrible clientele and tips.

Now’s the time to get out of the industry and stay out. It’s not going to be the same for at least a few years.
Ah I’m sorry to hear that. Its been similar out here.. we were making amazing money during the dog days of quarantine, people worried about us staying open and stuff. Once things reopened our tips went back to the usual “10%” (we’re a fast casual bbq concept), so you get full service but you don’t have a server just for you. So people usually dont know what to do their first visit or so.
For real I’m taking this as a sign for me to get myself out there and started on a career I can see myself in in 20 years or w/e.
Hope everything works out for you man, if you wanna pm me where you’re at I’ll do what I can do get my good tipin chicago homies out to ya. Nows that time where everyone wants to go out so youre getting more of a “mixed bag” when it comes to tippers. Hopefully you see more of your regular base soon. Sounds like youve been playing it safe and havent returned yet?

Reactions: x Tame Impala

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
It's not hard to imagine Lavy, Gallant or Babcock would have this team competing for a Central division as soon as next year with the continued development of the young players Dach, Boqvist, Strome, Cat, Kubalik. Even if Kubalik has a sophomore slump we could get a season out of Nylander. Talent is there. It's raw and needs to be coached up.

Reactions: Boqvy wan Kenobi

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
That can be a coaching issue too. They're where they're supposed to be but guys are still wide open. This is what I believe is happening. The players are doing their job 90% of the time but offensive players are still getting great scoring chances.

The only person who knows where they're supposed to be is JC and the players themselves.

Who are you to say where they're supposed to be?

You've dug the hole deep enough. For the love of God, stop digging!!

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
183659D3-14BA-4FCD-A651-7528C1D0880A.png

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Yet you know that JC's defensive system is crap. Wow!
I'm just going to shut up for a while and let this blow over.

To clarify:

1. What I was trying to say about rosters is that the gap between the top teams and bubble teams is nowhere near as large as it was 5-10 years ago. The margin between a cup contender and a bubble team is razor thin now.

2. The Hawks have a very, very talented offensive squad but they are lacking in 2 way forwards. We'll see if they can score enough to make up for it.

3. I think Colliton's D system sucks because it requires perfect communication due to defenders having to hand off the guy they're defending to another defender often. It leads to confusion hence Chinese fire drill/D being out of position. Good in theory, awful in practice.

I'm sorry for my poor communication skills yesterday, I went a bit too extreme with some of my statements and didn't realize how ridiculous they were until others pointed it out. Please cut me some slack.

I need to think more, post less.

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

To clarify:

1. What I was trying to say about rosters is that the gap between the top teams and bubble teams is nowhere near as large as it was 5-10 years ago. The margin between a cup contender and a bubble team is razor thin now.

2. The Hawks have a very, very talented offensive squad but they are lacking in 2 way forwards. We'll see if they can score enough to make up for it.

3. I think Colliton's D system sucks because it requires perfect communication due to defenders having to hand off the guy they're defending to another defender often. It leads to confusion hence Chinese fire drill/D being out of position. Good in theory, awful in practice.

I'm sorry for my poor communication skills yesterday, I went a bit too extreme with some of my statements and didn't realize how ridiculous they were until others pointed it out. Please cut me some slack.

No need to apologize man. I wasn't posting just to argue/dispute you. Just pointing out the actual stats involved in what we were talking about/discussing.

I think you're fine. You do sometimes get a bit hyperbolic with some of your opinions and it backfires on you a bit, but if you tone that down, you're fine. Or occasionally you'll post something that I'll understand what you're meaning, but how you articulate it is not how you meant it, so just work on that a little bit. I think that's mostly what yesterday was. :thumbu:

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

To clarify:

f*** thinking. It’s overrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad