Adam Boqvist Appreciation Thread

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Thing is, 27 is absolutely capable of that kind of play.

If he can just be competent defensively, his offensive game will make him an elite D.

We need to see him more aggressive next season, mistakes will happen, but you don’t wanna take away from his elite offensive instincts.
If 27 jumps into the play and there is a defensive breakdown after the shot, that's not on him. It's on the other 4 guys for not covering his vacated spot.

Reactions: HawksDub89

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014

“We already discussed the puck battles. The next numbers largely have to do with passing and carrying the puck. His zone exits are slightly down from last season. His zone entries are up. His defensive zone and outlet pass completion rates are also down. His stress pass completion is up. So, what to make of it?

I asked Han what he thought. He asked me if I was familiar with the Simpson Paradox. I wasn’t. It’s essentially when a statistic can reveal one thing when standing alone and something different when combined with other statistics. Han explained that Boqvist isn’t a textbook example but that his numbers relate.

“In the Sportlogiq data, most people will probably gravitate toward the turnover numbers, which have gotten worse,” Han said. “But if you look at (Micah Blake McCurdy’s) model and raw xG (expected goal) numbers, Boqvist looks like he’s getting better. My explanation for this — after seeing his most recent game — is that he is attempting more difficult plays this season versus last. Predictably, his success rates are down, but the value of those plays are up — (for example) more middle attacks instead of D-to-Ds or board plays. So overall, he is performing better, especially offensively.””

Reactions: WeAreSoPucked

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
“We already discussed the puck battles. The next numbers largely have to do with passing and carrying the puck. His zone exits are slightly down from last season. His zone entries are up. His defensive zone and outlet pass completion rates are also down. His stress pass completion is up. So, what to make of it?

I asked Han what he thought. He asked me if I was familiar with the Simpson Paradox. I wasn’t. It’s essentially when a statistic can reveal one thing when standing alone and something different when combined with other statistics. Han explained that Boqvist isn’t a textbook example but that his numbers relate.

“In the Sportlogiq data, most people will probably gravitate toward the turnover numbers, which have gotten worse,” Han said. “But if you look at (Micah Blake McCurdy’s) model and raw xG (expected goal) numbers, Boqvist looks like he’s getting better. My explanation for this — after seeing his most recent game — is that he is attempting more difficult plays this season versus last. Predictably, his success rates are down, but the value of those plays are up — (for example) more middle attacks instead of D-to-Ds or board plays. So overall, he is performing better, especially offensively.””
So basically he’s using a developmental season to develop, and those people pounding the table over him not being Makar or Hughes right now just need to take a damn seat for a bit?

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
For those who don’t know who Jack Han is, he’s a young hockey mind from Montreal who has worked in the Maple Leafs organization. I listened to him on a few podcasts and he has hinted more than once that he had talks with the Hawks organization as well. Not sure to what extent, but I would not be surprised if he had done a few side contracts with the Hawks. At the very least, I believe that he would be familiar with the players in the organization.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Not a Boqvist guy at all, but I wasn't able to watch the last ~3 games before watching yesterday's in full... And honeslty I was surprised at stretches how well he played.

He still definitely needs better conditioning and experience how to handle battling situations, but especially at the beginning of the game he played with so much poise...

If that's his eventual playstyle, that's honestly great for us. His point production can't be ignored either.

So yeah anyway kudos to him, his progression is looking very good.

Reactions: Giovi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->