Adam Boqvist Appreciation Thread

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Kane has done that once in his career. Ovechkin twice, this and last season.

200.gif

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Kane has done that once in his career. Ovechkin twice, this and last season.
Really?
All but 4 seasons of his career Toews has shot around around 13.5% or higher:
Jonathan Toews Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

He shot 14.5+% 5 seasons in a row, from 11-12 through 15-16. I don't think it's unreasonable for those two to have a shooting percentage like Toews did.

Toews having a shooting percentage around 15% is actually the norm for him, and during his down years it was a lot lower.

Some of these guys are volume shooters and that brings their shooting percentage down.

Last edited:

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Because Colliton is f***ing the Hawks. They're every bit as talented as the Blues.

I mean I can agree with you that our roster is underachieving compared to the talent it has on paper, and that there are better coaches out there than Colliton... but what is he doing bad? Whats wrong with his schemes, strategy? What should he be doing? What makes you so certain he is the reason our team is bad.

There must be a lot of clear reasons that makes you so certain he is the sole culprit.

Have we not all learned in the years and decades following pro sports that's it's always likely a combination of several factors that a team is worse than another?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I mean I can agree with you that our roster is underachieving compared to the talent it has on paper, and that there are better coaches out there than Colliton... but what is he doing bad? Whats wrong with his schemes, strategy? What should he be doing? What makes you so certain he is the reason our team is bad.

There must be a lot of clear reasons that makes you so certain he is the sole reason.

Have we not all learned in the years and decades following pro sports that's it's always likely a combination of several factors that a team is worse than another?
His defensive scheme is awful, period. It has been since day one. They're not that bad on D, I'm convinced it's totally Colliton.

The difference between the Hawks under Q and the Hawks under Colliton defensively was night and day. Q absolutely deserved to get whacked though.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Really?

He shot 14.5+% 5 seasons in a row, from 11-12 through 15-16. I don't think it's unreasonable for those two to have a shooting percentage like Toews did.

Some of these guys are volume shooters and that brings their shooting percentage down.

Even using future hall of famer Toews’ average shooting % of 13.9, that’s 31 DeBrincat goals last year, and 22 Kubalik goals this year.

You need an exceptionally high shooting percentage year for both those guys to hit the 40 goals you’re penciling them in for.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Even using future hall of famer Toews’ average shooting % of 13.9, that’s 31 DeBrincat goals last year, and 22 Kubalik goals this year.

You need an exceptionally high shooting percentage year for both those guys to hit the 40 goals you’re penciling them in for.
Not necessarily, isn't that what volume shooting is for? Not to mention both Cat and Kube have a great shot anyway. Pepper the freaking net and it goes in.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Really?

Kane has shot 15%+ exactly twice in 13 years. Ovi has done it twice in 15 years. Crosby five times in 15 years. Tavares has done it once in the last 11 years. That's 4 of the most prolific goal scorers of the past 10-15 years. And they don't regularly shoot at 15% plus. The only one to come close to what you're saying is Stamkos. He averages 17% over the past 15 years. And Neither Kubalik or Cat have shots/releases on par with Stamkos. Neither Kubalik or Cat will be regular 40 goal scorers. I'd say 30 guaranteed, but maybe one or two seasons in their careers that hit 40+.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Kane has shot 15%+ exactly twice in 13 years. Ovi has done it twice in 15 years. Crosby five times in 15 years. Tavares has done it once in the last 11 years. Probably the 4 most prolific goal scorers of the past 10-15 years. And they don't regularly shoot at 15% plus. The only one to come close to what you're saying is Stamkos. He averages 17% over the past 15 years. And Neither Kubalik or Cat have shots/releases on par with Stamkos, IMO.
Kube's is pretty damn good. Stammer might have the best shot in hockey outside of Ovi, so nobody's that good but I do think that they're both a notch below, especially Kube.

You still haven't explained Toews shooting 14.5%+ for 5 years straight.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Kane has shot 15%+ exactly twice in 13 years. Ovi has done it twice in 15 years. Crosby five times in 15 years. Tavares has done it once in the last 11 years. That's 4 of the most prolific goal scorers of the past 10-15 years. And they don't regularly shoot at 15% plus. The only one to come close to what you're saying is Stamkos. He averages 17% over the past 15 years. And Neither Kubalik or Cat have shots/releases on par with Stamkos.

That’s basically what KBS is asking for out of BOTH DeBrincat and Kubalik, go be Stamkos.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Kube's is pretty damn good. Stammer might have the best shot in hockey outside of Ovi, so nobody's that good but I do think that they're both a notch below, especially Kube.

You still haven't explained Toews shooting 14.9%+ for 5 years straight.

See edits. They're not near Ovi or Stamkos.

And Toews never had 14.9%+ for 5 years straight...

Since Toews entered the league.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
See edits. They're not near Ovi or Stamkos.

And Toews never had 14.9%+ for 5 years straight...

Since Toews entered the league.

Toews had 14.5%+ for 5 years straight, that was a typo and I corrected it.

He averaged 15.3% over those 5 years.

Toews has also shot 14.5%+ in 8 different seasons. Bad luck years happen, I get it, and 15%+ in 5 of those seasons.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Kubalik and DeBrincat have volume more on par with Toews than Kane...
Exactly, and with the quality of their shots they should be able to maintain the high shooting percentages like Toews did. Both Kube and Cat have a better shot than Toews.

Peppering the net makes up for bad luck a bit in pure numbers.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Exactly, and with the quality of their shots they should be able to maintain the high shooting percentages like Toews did. Both Kube and Cat have a better shot than Toews.

I'm so confused with what you're arguing at this point.

You were saying that you expect them to shoot 15-16% regularly. I said that none of the most prolific goal scorers in the NHL for the past 15 years have shot 15-16% regularly.

You realize that if they shoot 15% regularly, at their volume, they'll be 30 goal scorers, right?

They'd have to increase their volume to somewhere around Kane, Ovi, Stamkos, etc. and at the same time, maintain 15%+ shooting percentage, to regularly be 40+ goal scorers.

Then you say that the shooting% will come down because of more volume... but... how does that not apply to Kubalik and Cat, then?

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm so confused with what you're arguing at this point.

You were saying that you expect them to shoot 15-16% regularly. I said that none of the most prolific goal scorers in the NHL for the past 15 years have shot 15-16% regularly.

You realize that if they shoot 15% regularly, at their volume, they'll be 30 goal scorers, right?

They'd have to increase their volume to somewhere around Kane, Ovi, Stamkos, etc. and at the same time, maintain 15%+ shooting %.

Then you say that the shooting% will come down because of more volume... but... how does that not apply to Kubalik and Cat, then?
On a regular basis, yeah, they'll score 30-35. I wasn't saying that they could score 40+ regularly, just that it isn't outside their capability even at their current volume.

What helped both Cat reach 40 and Kube reach 30 is a good PP, that's essential because the percentages are higher on the PP. (yes, I know the PP was bad this year but it got significantly better when they put Kube on the RW)

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I think there was a misunderstanding. I was saying that volume brings the percentage down(always my point) and that if you want to score more goals during a bad luck year shoot more.

No, I’m not confused with that. But you’re saying that DeBrincat and Kubalik need to become volume shooters like Kane, and somehow will regularly hit 15-16% of their shots. Something hardly anybody does in the NHL.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad