Adam Boqvist Appreciation Thread

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
The more I watch him the more I see Brian Rafalski.

When talking to my son at draft time, I said he seems like a Rafalski comparable ( I was and still am hoping for that level of play)

He has been playing better, I will DVR today's game and watch him more intently. I will also try to not focus on his body language on D and around the net, that seems to be what influences much of my opinion of him. Maybe unfairly I will admit. But let us see.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
When talking to my son at draft time, I said he seems like a Rafalski comparable ( I was and still am hoping for that level of play)

He has been playing better, I will DVR today's game and watch him more intently. I will also try to not focus on his body language on D and around the net, that seems to be what influences much of my opinion of him. Maybe unfairly I will admit. But let us see.

your assessment seems fair about Boqvist, he's the second youngest defenseman in the league so hopefully its just a matter of gaining more confidence and experience...his skating and strength need work to reach his potential

Reactions: Muffinalt

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Boqvist going back to Rockford was a good move last year, Beaudin got a taste and now is logging the minutes in Rockford again, all good

sandyfalkirk

Jun 18, 2014
Scotland
Thought he looked good tonight...

He was mashing some plays and emgaging. Still think his first step is weak but there's is improvement

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
He's getting more confident by the game. He was trying to make things happen with his feet today consistently for the first time. It would have worked pretty well I think if it weren't Tampa where even their 4th liners are like 8.5/10 skaters. These last 3 games have been his best of the year IMO.

Reactions: d rake

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
He made some plays, he made some mistakes-all expected for his age.

Despite his age, he does not know how to go about tying up his man. Strength issues aside his technique just isn't there, absolutely no knee bend and has a funky "hockey" stance.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
What some people need to keep in mind is that Boqvist is 20 friggin' years old! Cribbing from Colliton, progression is not linear. But if you compare last season to this season, he's developing nicely. He's far from a finished product. If the trend line continues, only the meatballs will be unhappy.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
After his best game as a Hawk, here are some stats comparing him to other 2018 drafted defensemen this season (minimum 10 games played):

Points Per Game:
Hughes 0.77
Boqvist 0.72
Smith 0.54
Dobson 0.43
Dahlin 0.42
Beaudin 0.42
Bouchard 0.33
Miller 0.3
Romanov 0.19

Points Per 60:
Bouchard 1.52
Dobson 1.35
Boqvist 1.29
Beaudin 1.28
Smith 1.24
Hughes 1.02
Miller .93
Romanov .6
Dahlin .42

Hits per 60, he and Beaudin are worse than everyone not named Hughes, who has 1/4th the amount of hits per 60 minutes. For blocks per 60, Beaudin is 3rd and Boqvist is 5th; again Hughes finishes worst out of the group. Beaudin had the most turnovers per 60, with Boqvist at 4th. Boqvist and Beaudin finish middle of the pack in takeaways per 60 (AB at 5, NB at 6); it's the one defensively oriented category Qughes is the best at.

All in all, not too terribly bad for either kid, though Beaudin needs to cool it with the giveaways.

Reactions: pvr

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
After his best game as a Hawk, here are some stats comparing him to other 2018 drafted defensemen this season (minimum 10 games played):

Points Per Game:
Hughes 0.77
Boqvist 0.72
Smith 0.54
Dobson 0.43
Dahlin 0.42
Beaudin 0.42
Bouchard 0.33
Miller 0.3
Romanov 0.19

Points Per 60:
Bouchard 1.52
Dobson 1.35
Boqvist 1.29
Beaudin 1.28
Smith 1.24
Hughes 1.02
Miller .93
Romanov .6
Dahlin .42

Hits per 60, he and Beaudin are worse than everyone not named Hughes, who has 1/4th the amount of hits per 60 minutes. For blocks per 60, Beaudin is 3rd and Boqvist is 5th; again Hughes finishes worst out of the group. Beaudin had the most turnovers per 60, with Boqvist at 4th. Boqvist and Beaudin finish middle of the pack in takeaways per 60 (AB at 5, NB at 6); it's the one defensively oriented category Qughes is the best at.

All in all, not too terribly bad for either kid, though Beaudin needs to cool it with the giveaways.
Stats don't lie. Beaudin > Dahlin

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

Points Per Game:
Hughes 0.77
Boqvist 0.72
Smith 0.54
Dobson 0.43
Dahlin 0.42
Beaudin 0.42
Bouchard 0.33
Miller 0.3
Romanov 0.19

Points Per 60:
Bouchard 1.52
Dobson 1.35
Boqvist 1.29
Beaudin 1.28
Smith 1.24
Hughes 1.02
Miller .93
Romanov .6
Dahlin .42

Good stuff! Thanks for doing that.

I like Boqvists trajectory right now. Im
Still not sure he’ll ever be a true #1, but I think he could be a klingberg type. (Maybe slightly better)

He’s gonna be an absolute monster on the pp by the time he hits his prime. Brent Burns type of PP numbers if he hits his ceiling.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
What some people need to keep in mind is that Boqvist is 20 friggin' years old! Cribbing from Colliton, progression is not linear. But if you compare last season to this season, he's developing nicely. He's far from a finished product. If the trend line continues, only the meatballs will be unhappy.

Ive posted this before,

Boqvist was only a month or so from the 2019 draft

Q Hughes was only a month or so from the 2017 draft

Boqvist was always going to need more time essentially being in the 2019 draft class in terms of development

giza

Jul 19, 2011
He was rushed to the bigs and his development might have paid a price, but he should be a good one when he puts it all together.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
He was rushed to the bigs and his development might have paid a price, but he should be a good one when he puts it all together.
You can see it every game he’s putting it together. Hell this last game he was having to cover for Keith’s constant gaffes.

The worst thing to do to him at this point is limit him. Let him make mistakes, let him take the risks and drive the offense. Playing it safe simply won’t help a guy like Boqvist, let him be dynamic which is what we’re seeing and he’ll be damn good for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad