Adam Boqvist Appreciation Thread

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
3. I think Colliton's D system sucks because it requires perfect communication due to defenders having to hand off the guy they're defending to another defender often. It leads to confusion hence Chinese fire drill/D being out of position. Good in theory, awful in practice.

Again, it doesn't have to be perfect communication.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I'm just going to shut up for a while and let this blow over.

To clarify:

1. What I was trying to say about rosters is that the gap between the top teams and bubble teams is nowhere near as large as it was 5-10 years ago. The margin between a cup contender and a bubble team is razor thin now.

2. The Hawks have a very, very talented offensive squad but they are lacking in 2 way forwards. We'll see if they can score enough to make up for it.

3. I think Colliton's D system sucks because it requires perfect communication due to defenders having to hand off the guy they're defending to another defender often. It leads to confusion hence Chinese fire drill/D being out of position. Good in theory, awful in practice.

I'm sorry for my poor communication skills yesterday, I went a bit too extreme with some of my statements and didn't realize how ridiculous they were until others pointed it out. Please cut me some slack.

I need to think more, post less.

All good, man. Just need to recognize quicker when you're going down a rabbit hole (and then stop digging). Discourse is what most of us are here for.

FWIW, I agree with your first two points. As to the latter, I think the jury is way out on that one (injuries, boat anchor, kids, forwards not taking their defensive responsibility seriously).

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Imagine if it was Boqvist making the blunder that Makar made tonight. Some Hawks fans would be calling (even more) for his head.

Young stud defensemen will make bad mistakes from time to time. We have to cut them some loose.
I call BS. Boqvist is certainly no Makar. Let's not pretend otherwise. High potential, perhaps so but he has proved nothing .... so let's not get ahead of ourselves.

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
I call BS. Boqvist is certainly no Makar. Let's not pretend otherwise. High potential, perhaps so but he has proved nothing .... so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
I don’t think he’s Makar either, that’s not the point. I think they’re both young defensemen with great futures, Makar clearly being the better of the two so far (and projected).

My point is that EVEN Makar will make awful mistakes at crucial moments, because that comes with being an unexperienced defenseman in the NHL.

So it’s crazy to call Boqvist a bust because he had a couple of shaky playoff games in his rookie year. I can’t imagine what the reaction of a section of the fans would have been if, God forbid, he had made the mistake that Makar made tonight.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Ian Mitchell would never

upload_2020-8-30_21-22-52.gif

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I don’t think he’s Makar either, that’s not the point. I think they’re both young defensemen with great futures, Makar clearly being the better of the two so far (and projected).

My point is that EVEN Makar will make awful mistakes at crucial moments, because that comes with being an unexperienced defenseman in the NHL.

So it’s crazy to call Boqvist a bust because he had a couple of shaky playoff games in his rookie year. I can’t imagine what the reaction of a section of the fans would have been if, God forbid, he had made the mistake that Makar made tonight.
Fair enough.

Joe Scaduto

Jun 24, 2018
Eventually Alex Regula will partner with Adam Boqvist and Ian Mitchell with Stan Demin Those were the pairing in the OHL and NCAA

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

I don’t think he was saying Boqvist is or ever will be Makar.

Simply put, young D make mistakes, lots of them. Regardless of their ceiling.

Any of you remember the early Keith or Seabrook years? There were some rough nights. (Especially Keith)

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Krug averages like 53pts the last 4 seasons, on pace (missed a bunch of games) for 62pts/season.
Yeah, keep in mind I'm not saying Ian is doing that right out the gate. Right out the gate, you're looking at something closer to McAvoy production.

Ian in his prime, with lots of power play usage and the fact that defenders are being used a lot more for offense these days, I see no reason why he can't get into a 50 point range.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
Charlie Mac right out of the gate??? That’s some high praise. I like McAvoy quite a bit.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If he’s McAvoy right away, he’s easily this team’s #2 or even #1 defenseman (depending on whether Keith declines) next year, no?
Yeah that's about right.

I mean Keith is Keith, so I'm not automatically pegging Ian ahead of him because that man doesn't want to age.

Murphy is obviously going to still be the best shutdown defender on the team.

But I'm absolutely putting Ian ahead of Boqvist, Maatta, De Haan, Koekkoek, and Seabrook.

So yeah at the very least Ian will be our #3D next year.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Yeah that's about right.

I mean Keith is Keith, so I'm not automatically pegging Ian ahead of him because that man doesn't want to age.

Murphy is obviously going to still be the best shutdown defender on the team.

But I'm absolutely putting Ian ahead of Boqvist, Maatta, De Haan, Koekkoek, and Seabrook.

So yeah at the very least Ian will be our #3D next year.

You are living in fantasy land if you expect him to just jump in and jump ahead of Maatta, CdH, and even the Koekkoek we saw towards the end of the season and playoffs.... and maybe even Boqvist for that matter if he uses these playoffs as a learning experience and motivation.

You’re also setting him up to be a disappointment in his rookie year.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
You are living in fantasy land if you expect him to just jump in and jump ahead of Maatta, CdH, and even the Koekkoek we saw towards the end of the season and playoffs.... and maybe even Boqvist for that matter if he uses these playoffs as a learning experience and motivation.

ya tempered expectations need to be taken with Mitchel

Don't get me wrong, I do think he will be good in his first year and I do think that he will make the club out of camp but expectations should not be too high IMO

Reactions: RayP

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Ian is a king

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Oh yeah, he'll easily have McAvoy impact right out the gate.

I keep thinking this as well. Might be some more growing pains, but I think he absolutely can have that level of impact. I think he gets eased in and slowly earns more and more trust throughout the year.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad