WJC: 2023 Team Canada Roster Talk

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Geekie deserves not to be invited. At least 2 guys on his own team would deserves it more, starting with Benson. No offense, he will play in the NHL, but his Draft + 1 year is not exceptional at all, but I understand why you like him with your team name. For that tournament, I would bet for one of those seafood player (which i don’t agree with that insult, but it’s your choice of posting), we all have our opinion.
Do you just look at points and base that on who should be on the team or not? A 5'8 forward who is tiny as hell is not going to do well on the fourth line on team Canada...

Team is looking f***ing insane. The reunion of Wright, Othmann, and Clarke is fun.

Othmann-Wright-Bolduc
Fantilli-Stankoven-Bedard
Dean-Beck-Roy
Ostapchuk-Gaucher-Dumais
Kidney

Guenther on top would just be ridiculous.

Lambos-Clarke
Del Mastro-Zellweger
Korchinski-Allan
Matier

Defense is outrageous with a truly elite puckmover/playmaker matched with an elite defender on each pair.

Not too sure about the goalies, but who really cares? With some Team Canada squads, it’s gold medal game or bust; this time it’s truly gold medal or bust.
what a waste to have dumais on the fourth line. He is tiny and needs to be in an offensive role.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Don't understand how Beck gets in, he's not even the best player on his team LDB has been better this year, even Hardie is arguable. Let alone Cristall, Benson, Heidt, Yager, maybe even Zimmer. Pretty surprised Dragicevic didn't even get an invite. I know it's a 19yo team but I would've taken Benson, Yager, or Cristall over Beck/Dean/Gaucher. At least bring Barlow if you want a defensive minded forward, oh well.
It's a 19-year-old team.

All the 2023s will have their shot next year.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Do you just look at points and base that on who should be on the team or not? A 5'8 forward who is tiny as hell is not going to do well on the fourth line on team Canada...

what a waste to have dumais on the fourth line. He is tiny and needs to be in an offensive role.
He's 5'9 and just one inch shorter than Bedard, and you don't have a problem with him do you?

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Bedard - Wright - Guenther
Roy - Stankoven - Othmann
Bolduc - Kidney - Fantili
Ostapchuk - Beck - Gaucher
Dean

When is the last time Canada had such a stacked forward group?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Yeah it seemed less informative than usual. Seems to think that there is a lot of legitimate competition at forward. He listed Gaudreau as the frontrunner for goaltender and said that Canada will only take 2 goaltenders.

Gaudreau as front runner is a bit shocking. Must be a lot of faith in his numbers/play being heavily team influenced. He does have a high ceiling but he's not close to it right now. The best balance between ceiling/floor would be Brennan/Milic. Both have high floors and Brennan's ceiling could be high based on how well he fits behind the team system/play.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey

What Dumais has been doing this year against junior-level competition is utterly undeniable. I think he’s a great fit with two big, steady guys who can dominate the puck but don’t really have anything close to the creative spark he brings. My third line of Dean-Beck-Roy is the so-called “match-up line” to take defensive zone draws against the other team’s top line. Team Canada doesn’t need more than one - and this team’s firepower is going to be so dominant that our top-6 should be out there against the opponents’ best to fire them out in their own zone.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
It's a 19-year-old team.

All the 2023s will have their shot next year.
Yeah, I know it is, I said that in my post. It's stupid and makes little sense. There are just quite simply better players than who was invited- not even who was accepted- just invited alone. At least invite some kids.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yeah, I know it is, I said that in my post. It's stupid and makes little sense. There are just quite simply better players than who was invited- not even who was accepted- just invited alone. At least invite some kids.

They look better in league play, doesn't mean they would scale to the next level vs. better competition.

+ there is a question of roles.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I think there is a real chance Kidney won't make this team as a returning player. Not saying he won't but I think he is fully going to have to earn his spot in camp.

Reactions: SOLR

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I think there is a real chance Kidney won't make this team as a returning player. Not saying he won't but I think he is fully going to have to earn his spot in camp.
Very possible he doesn't. With all of the offensive depth, Canada may opt to go with Schaefer for size or Beck for his faceoff prowess. There are enough good centers in camp that they can afford to pick someone over Kidney for a niche role.

Reactions: SOLR

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I didn't think he would make it, but I'm surprised to not see another 2023 competing with him. A Barlow/Heidt type of player would be a lot more useful than Kidney will be in a bottom 6 role (unless there is an injury). And then it's also a skip on Benson/Yager or a very fast Savoie - all important players for next year. We will have a LOT of turnover before the next tournament.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Perhaps deeper but 2021 lacked a true match winner that Bédard is

He wasn’t a “true” returning player either, given the strange circumstances of the summer and the great deal of replacements Canada used, players like Kidney aren’t guaranteed spots just off being returning players

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014

Not sure what you are worried about but there are only 4 players under 6 feet at this years camp

If dumais doesn’t get a top 6 then I don’t think he makes the team.

I actually think kidney might not make the team.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Worth noting as well that the roster is going to be back down to 13F 7 D, putting more squeeze on the margins.

I suppose if Guenther is going we'll hear it today since the camp starts tomorrow.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Worth noting as well that the roster is going to be back down to 13F 7 D, putting more squeeze on the margins.

I suppose if Guenther is going we'll hear it today since the camp starts tomorrow.

What? no more expanded 25 man rosters? that sucks.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think by the end of camp it looks like this:

Othmann-Wright-Guenther
Roy-Stankoven-Bedard
Bolduc-Fantilli-Ostapchuk
Kidney-Dean-Gaucher
Beck

Korchinski-Allan
Zellweger-Matier
Lambos-Del Mastro
Nause

Goalies who knows

If Clarke comes, I'm not sure how the D pairings look considering a couple of them play the best when they're moving the puck around (Clarke, Zellweger, Korchinski). Korchinski and Allan are most likely gonna be stuck to each other for a while, and Zellweger-Matier makes a ton of sense with their handness, size, and Hockey Canada experience. That leaves the question who does Clarke play with, and which combos get the most ice time? Maybe something like this, factoring in their past with the program, age, and abilities:
Zellweger-Matier
Del Mastro-Clarke
Korchinski-Allan
Lambos
Great post.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
I can’t see any scenario where Brennan Othmann and Shane Wright aren’t playing together, they are very close friends and have great chemistry together. Both also share the same birthday on January 5th (which is also the Gold Medal game) :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad