WJC: 2023 Team Canada Roster Talk

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
So does Bankier have zero chance to make the team? Does anyone know why he might have been invited, and what role he would fill on the team?
He’s got size, great playmaker, makes positive plays, could be a fourth or extra, it’s anyone’s game.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
So does Bankier have zero chance to make the team? Does anyone know why he might have been invited, and what role he would fill on the team?
I was wondering if this is for some chemistry with Stankoven. Are they playing on the same line in Kamloops? To state the obvious, anyone that gets an invite to camp has a chance to make the team. He has to have a big camp to surpass some of the more recognizable names and I would guess he's hoping that the guys we are expecting to get loaned out from the NHL don't materialize. Somebody has seen SOMETHING in his game though.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I noticed an interesting thing, they only invited 4 17-18 years old forwards (Bedard, Fantilli, Dumais, Beck) and only 1 D (Korchinski) . Assuming that Bedard and Fantilli both play NHL next year (which I am very confident), do you think that Beck, Dumais (and Korchinski on D) have good chances to make that team at least as 12 or 13th forward to prep for next year? If not, that would mean that they would have 0 returning forwards next year. Just a thought? Maybe it's common based on past experience. Team USA will be stacked with 18 years old on their side, therefore next year they will be a Beast team, but they might also lose some players to NHL Teams, but most will probably play NCAA.

My point is that they know what they’re doing. It’s probably Beck and Dumais that moved Savoie, Geekie and Firkus ou of the Camp. If they need goals and purely offensive player, they know that Dumais can do the job as he has been producing more than all of them for 2 years now and if they need a shut down powerful and fast player for the 3rd and 4th line they know that Beck can do a better job than Savoie, Geekie and Firkus.

Just a thought…

It would be a grave grave mistake for Fantilli to leave college after one season. Hopefully he has a big tournament, but I'm not expecting much from him. 5 pts. maybe if we play 7 games. I'm confident he is a returnee next year. Bedard, however, is another story. No chance he'll be back.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
It was explained earlier. He didn't want to report to a far outpost (PG?) if he was drafted. HC turned down his ES as a result.

There is absolutely something going on behind the scenes with HC and the Savoies. Carter had the most goals and points for a U-20 player in the NCAA last year and couldn't even get a camp invite.

Reactions: Bubbles

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I was wondering if this is for some chemistry with Stankoven. Are they playing on the same line in Kamloops? To state the obvious, anyone that gets an invite to camp has a chance to make the team. He has to have a big camp to surpass some of the more recognizable names and I would guess he's hoping that the guys we are expecting to get loaned out from the NHL don't materialize. Somebody has seen SOMETHING in his game though.
Not typically, no. They've mostly been centring their own lines when I've tuned in for Kamloops games this year, although they do play together on the powerplay . But Bankier is definitely there on his own merits, not just for chemistry with Stankoven, and you don't bring a 19 year old with no Hockey Canada history to this small a camp if he's not a contender for a spot (eg. Drake Batherson, who had a very similar skillset and profile at the time).

Having watched a handful of their games, it's not surprising with the year Bankier's having. 19 goals in 23 games is something, he's good on face-offs, brings a fair bit of size and skill, and was particularly dynamic this past weekend against Vancouver. I'm still not sure he's quite quick enough to play at this level, but the footspeed and pace have improved considerably since his draft year.

Reactions: Statsy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
With a camp that small it's likely that everyone there has a shot to make the team. McKenzie's thoughts during TSN's preview show will give us more information regarding who is on the bubble and who has already made it.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
With a camp that small it's likely that everyone there has a shot to make the team. McKenzie's thoughts during TSN's preview show will give us more information regarding who is on the bubble and who has already made it.

Will be interesting to see who he lists as locks; there's always an "odd" one. I remember a few years ago we were all surprised Dudas was invited to camp and he was listed as a lock by McKenzie during the preview show. Ronan Seeley being listed as a lock/front-runner also caught me by surprise in 21-22.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe his size has some appeal(6'2")? I mean, he's having a vg season, so it's not like he's completely undeserving, but i wondered what those who've had eyes on him think, especially compared to other elite players. His stats scream goal scorer, but i would guess that if he makes the team it would be as a more of a bottom line, jack of all trades type player.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If I was to take an educated guess the locks/expected players:

F: Bedard, Stankoven, Gaucher, Ostapchuk, Dean, Roy, Othmann, Bolduc,

D: Zellweger, Del Mastro, Matier

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Question , Mathew savoie will turn 20 January 1 2024 , will he be ineligible next years world junior ?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Will be interesting to see who he lists as locks; there's always an "odd" one. I remember a few years ago we were all surprised Dudas was invited to camp and he was listed as a lock by McKenzie during the preview show. Ronan Seeley being listed as a lock/front-runner also caught me by surprise in 21-22.
Yes there is often an odd one. Seeley and Dudas do stand out, as you suggest. He also figured that Markus Phillips was nearly a lock, which was something. I assume that the forwards are mostly locked in for this year given so many returnees plus Beck of course being deigned a lock.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I noticed an interesting thing, they only invited 4 17-18 years old forwards (Bedard, Fantilli, Dumais, Beck) and only 1 D (Korchinski) . Assuming that Bedard and Fantilli both play NHL next year (which I am very confident), do you think that Beck, Dumais (and Korchinski on D) have good chances to make that team at least as 12 or 13th forward to prep for next year? If not, that would mean that they would have 0 returning forwards next year. Just a thought? Maybe it's common based on past experience. Team USA will be stacked with 18 years old on their side, therefore next year they will be a Beast team, but they might also lose some players to NHL Teams, but most will probably play NCAA.

My point is that they know what they’re doing. It’s probably Beck and Dumais that moved Savoie, Geekie and Firkus ou of the Camp. If they need goals and purely offensive player, they know that Dumais can do the job as he has been producing more than all of them for 2 years now and if they need a shut down powerful and fast player for the 3rd and 4th line they know that Beck can do a better job than Savoie, Geekie and Firkus.

Just a thought…

The camps have become much smaller than they used to, in terms of number of players invited. I'd have to say that every player invited has at least a reasonable shot of cracking the final roster.

One could say that going back a few years, so many players were invited to camp that a keen observer could surmise that many of them had no real chance of making the team, short of them standing out and doing something extraordinary at camp.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There was always the CHL/Russian series to help guys as well, which hasn't been there the past 2 years.

Dawson Mercer was basically a lock in the eyes of the coaching staff for the 2020 team, and that was based off his QMJHL/Russia series games.

This would have been a year where you see guys like Matier/Dean/Bankier stand out

Reactions: Statsy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There was always the CHL/Russian series to help guys as well, which hasn't been there the past 2 years.

Dawson Mercer was basically a lock in the eyes of the coaching staff for the 2020 team, and that was based off his QMJHL/Russia series games.

This would have been a year where you see guys like Matier/Dean/Bankier stand out
Yes, it would be good if they would start another type of series to get those games in. Something against USHL players probably makes the most sense.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Glad to see Wright is attending, looking forward to seeing what TSN says tonight at 7:30 eastern on the countdown show.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Maybe it is an aspect that I'm under-appreciating.

I'm sure that I am still closer to the truth than the mainstream idea that it is somehow a huge factor.

It doesn't take a year to get to know your linemates. You practice with them a week and you're fine. They actually even change lineups during games in the highest competition (NHL).
Former OHL and CIAU player here.

You are absolutely wrong. 💯%

Playing together for short camp is not enough time to learn a good system completely or develop chemistry. Teams can literally take years to reach their peak of playing together.

In international hockey the Red Army Team and USNDP teams have clearly demonstrated this.

Also anyone who has played real hockey will tell you this.

Hmm, so you are saying that after team meets, they practice instensively for a week and are ready to play, somehow if they continued that practice for 40 more weeks, the team would be better by HUGE amount?

This is something I don't believe in, and am always ready to put my money where my mouth is. It's similar thing as over doing player roles. You know the idea that fourth line should be defensive etc. I love how Canada proved this wrong by using only 100 point guys in 2012 olympics, no f'ing grinders in the fourth line. :)
Hell yes. More so if they practiced and played games together for 40 weeks.

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
I think the feeling between Savoie and Hockey Canada might be mutual. I don't think he has received any consideration since he played on Canada's representative at the YOG.

I haven't seen Voit play however I think that USA Hockey wants to make it clear that you play your hockey in the USA. You might have to be the second coming to play in the CHL and for the USA.
Savoie was invited to u17 Development Camp roster, this was after he didn’t get exceptional status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad