WJC: 2023 Team Canada Roster Talk

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
The team looks excellent with Wright and Clarke. Guenther would be the cherry on top.

At this point, only their goaltending is a question mark.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nice add, did not expect that until the rumours started when he got sent for his conditioning stint. This looks like a down year for most of the competition. Even with a goaltending hole this looks like a particularly good opportunity to get a tournament win.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

king89

Dec 4, 2018
Oh please. I hope this is not a serious quote
USA and Finland have down years, Sweden have their three best defenders out and they always have problem going all the way in WJC.

Of course Canada can miss out on the gold but I don't see who will stop them, will be a robbery if it happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Is the camp timing a bit weird this year or am I just misremembering. They're in camp until next Monday, and that includes two games against USports. Traditionally they pare down to the final roster after those games and then it's two weeks until the first real game. Even if they do pre-tournament games starting the 20th, that's still eight days with no actual gameplay.

Doesn't that seem a little long?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Is the camp timing a bit weird this year or am I just misremembering. They're in camp until next Monday, and that includes two games against USports. Traditionally they pare down to the final roster after those games and then it's two weeks until the first real game. Even if they do pre-tournament games starting the 20th, that's still eight days with no actual gameplay.

Doesn't that seem a little long?
They normally build in like a week of team building/some kind of getaway for the team to bond between the selection of the team and the first pre tournament games.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Bob has 4 locks at center. Wright,Stankoven,Gaucher, and Ostapchuk. Roy as the only lock for LW. Guenther and Bedard as locks on the RW and Clarke and Zwelleger as the only locks on D. So down the middle is pretty much accounted for.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
How did Geekie not get invited?? He is better than Dach and Dumais.

Dumais is tiny and would need to play in the top 6 to have a role and that will not happen. Geekie is a solid big two way player who would have fit in the bottom 6. Another questionable decision by hockey Canada.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Dumais is tiny and would need to play in the top 6 to have a role and that will not happen. Geekie is a solid big two way player who would have fit in the bottom 6. Another questionable decision by hockey Canada.
Have you seen what the forward group is going to look like? They are going to be fine lol

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I dont care who they have. You pick the best players and Geekie should have got invited to this camp. You need guys to fit certain roles.
They have the guys. You not caring who they have is your bias speaking. Geekie isn't producing at an exceptional level to where he is a no doubter for this team and there are guys who can play the bottom 6 role who are out producing him offensively. I am sure he will get his chance next year.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Bob has 4 locks at center. Wright,Stankoven,Gaucher, and Ostapchuk. Roy as the only lock for LW. Guenther and Bedard as locks on the RW and Clarke and Zwelleger as the only locks on D. So down the middle is pretty much accounted for.
wait, he doesn’t have returnees Del Mastro or Lambos as locks? Pretty rare for returnees to get cut the following year. Bigras is the last one I remember that happening to.

Btw, how crazy is it that McTavish is still eligible to play in this tournament?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
wait, he doesn’t have returnees Del Mastro or Lambos as locks? Pretty rare for returnees to get cut the following year. Bigras is the last one I remember that happening to.

Btw, how crazy is it that McTavish is still eligible to play in this tournament?
He has both of them as front runners but not locks. Same for Othman. Notably Kidney wasn't listed as a lock or front runner for a spot.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah it seemed less informative than usual. Seems to think that there is a lot of legitimate competition at forward. He listed Gaudreau as the frontrunner for goaltender and said that Canada will only take 2 goaltenders.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
They have the guys. You not caring who they have is your bias speaking. Geekie isn't producing at an exceptional level to where he is a no doubter for this team and there are guys who can play the bottom 6 role who are out producing him offensively. I am sure he will get his chance next year.
No bias. He is a better two way player than at least half the guys on the roster. Dumais and Dach making it over him is hilarious.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

Dumais is leading the Q in scoring at well over two points per game. For him not to get a camp invite would be malpractice. Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that he makes the team though, but he has certainly earned his invite.
And I'll say this once again, Canada is not bringing two checking lines, making your bottom six remark null and void.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Dumais is leading the Q in scoring at well over two points per game. For him not to get a camp invite would be malpractice. Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that he makes the team though, but he has certainly earned his invite.
And I'll say this once again, Canada is not bringing two checking lines, making your bottom six remark null and void.
Dumais is a shrimp. There will be no room for him on the PP or in the top 6. Geekie can play on the fourth line and be good. Dumais on the fourth line will be a non factor.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
My Updated December 7th Lineup Projection

You want all three lines firing and I really like my pairings. Dean fits the play style need in a line with Stank/Beds. You can argue to replace Dean/Fantilli respectively I won’t disagree with you. Third lines gotta be my favourite. And the fourth line would be a brick wall too, Got Thomas Milic as the dark horse story as Canadas Starter. We shall see.

Othmann (19) | Wright (18) | Guenther (19)
Dean (19) | Stankoven (19) | Bedard (17)
Kidney (19) | Fantilli (18) | Roy (19)
Ostapchuk (19) | Gaucher (19) | Bolduc (19)
Beck (18) Dumais/Greene (18/19 not sure)

Del Mastro (19) | Zellweger (19)
Lambos (19) | Clarke (19)
Korchinski (18) | Allan (19)
Nause (19), Matier (19)

Milic (19)
Brennan (19)
Rousseau (19)

Last edited:

NewGenScout

Apr 22, 2022
Dumais is a shrimp. There will be no room for him on the PP or in the top 6. Geekie can play on the fourth line and be good. Dumais on the fourth line will be a non factor.
Geekie deserves not to be invited. At least 2 guys on his own team would deserves it more, starting with Benson. No offense, he will play in the NHL, but his Draft + 1 year is not exceptional at all, but I understand why you like him with your team name. For that tournament, I would bet for one of those seafood player (which i don’t agree with that insult, but it’s your choice of posting), we all have our opinion.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Team is looking f***ing insane. The reunion of Wright, Othmann, and Clarke is fun.

Othmann-Wright-Bolduc
Fantilli-Stankoven-Bedard
Dean-Beck-Roy
Ostapchuk-Gaucher-Dumais
Kidney

Guenther on top would just be ridiculous.

Lambos-Clarke
Del Mastro-Zellweger
Korchinski-Allan
Matier

Defense is outrageous with a truly elite puckmover/playmaker matched with an elite defender on each pair.

Not too sure about the goalies, but who really cares? With some Team Canada squads, it’s gold medal game or bust; this time it’s truly gold medal or bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad