WJC: 2023 Team Canada Roster Talk

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Their offense has 4 first ballot hall of famers, won every single individual award in the league multiple times, and has multiple 1000+ game, 1000+ point players.

This offense is nothing remotely close to the 2005 teams offense.

The best draft class in the past 30 years, with a year long lockout in their 19 year old seasons. Of course it will be the best team. It had 10ish players who would've been in the NHL otherwise.
this is a prediction not a fact,, only time will tell

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
My prediction for the galaxy brain omission this year is Korchinski. He can be a bit frightening in his own end, and with Clarke and Zellweger possessing high-end offensive ability, it wouldn't shock me if they left off the risky (but extremely talented) 04 for a more two-way or defensive-minded 03.
I can't see it. Korchinski is just too good....maybe if he was 5'10", not 6'3".

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
this is a prediction not a fact,, only time will tell
Sure, doesn't take away from the fact that you saying that the offense being better this year is extremely out there

The 2005 team is likely the best WJC team that there will ever be, +35 in a 6 game tournament, with 5+ hall of fame players, it's not happening again.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Looks like Canada has a potentially very strong team but let's not go seriously comparing it to the best WJC team of all time. Without even looking at how dominant the team was on the ice or the scoring statistics, that team had six forwards who would play for Canada at the best on best level as well as two defencemen. It also brought back the dominant defenceman from the previous year's tournament and brought back the best line from the previous year but used it only as a third line.

"Cape of champions"? I must have missed that. What are you referencing there? Sounds interesting!

I believe that in addition to Hockey Canada's special lamps, the 2013 team used a cape for player of the game. In this century the 2013 team really stands out, with 2016 and 2019, as an extremely poorly coached team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Looks like Canada has a potentially very strong team but let's not go seriously comparing it to the best WJC team of all time. Without even looking at how dominant the team was on the ice or the scoring statistics, that team had six forwards who would play for Canada at the best on best level as well as two defencemen. It also brought back the dominant defenceman from the previous year's tournament and brought back the best line from the previous year but used it only as a third line.

I believe that in addition to Hockey Canada's special lamps, the 2013 team used a cape for player of the game. In this century the 2013 team really stands out, with 2016 and 2019, as an extremely poorly coached team.
Yeah, hard to take that seriously

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I just saw McKenzie and Craig button do an analysis of team Canada ( I disregard anything that comes out of Craig button mouth as he is just a sham for team USA ) but team canada seems to be fast and big

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver

The cape is no more silly than any other player-of-the-game award. Spott's biggest failure in that event is that he made no effort to pump the team up before the big match-up with the US. No emotional, rousing "let's f'ing goooo!!!" speech at all. He wanted to keep things the same as they had been during an easy prelim round and we came out flatter than a plate of water against an American team that stormed out of the room like they'd just been railing coke! :laugh:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The cape is no more silly than any other player-of-the-game award. Spott's biggest failure in that event is that he made no effort to pump the team up before the big match-up with the US. No emotional, rousing "let's f'ing goooo!!!" speech at all. He wanted to keep things the same as they had been during an easy prelim round and we came out flatter than a plate of water against an American team that stormed out of the room like they'd just been railing coke! :laugh:
The cape isn't the problem in and of itself, nor is any sort of speech. The problem was that Canada was not playing very effective hockey but the team never even attempted to change. Canada beat the small teams, narrowly beat a USA team that played like crap the first game, sleepwalked through Russia mainly on the back of Nugent-Hopkins, but the team never looked convincing and Nugent-Hopkins got hurt by the semi-finals. There was a complacency, also notably there in 2016, and a failure to look beyond a few good scores at how the team was really playing. This was something that plenty of people noticed along the way as well, just not the coaches.

USA still may have beaten Canada in 2013 even with good coaching as that was a very talented team, but it shouldn't have been embarrassing. In 2016 a disciplined Canadian team would have won the quarterfinal game against Finland comfortably, but that team never showed it.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
The cape isn't the problem in and of itself, nor is any sort of speech. The problem was that Canada was not playing very effective hockey but the team never even attempted to change. Canada beat the small teams, narrowly beat a USA team that played like crap the first game, sleepwalked through Russia mainly on the back of Nugent-Hopkins, but the team never looked convincing and Nugent-Hopkins got hurt by the semi-finals. There was a complacency, also notably there in 2016, and a failure to look beyond a few good scores at how the team was really playing. This was something that plenty of people noticed along the way as well, just not the coaches.

USA still may have beaten Canada in 2013 even with good coaching as that was a very talented team, but it shouldn't have been embarrassing. In 2016 a disciplined Canadian team would have won the quarterfinal game against Finland comfortably, but that team never showed it.
Yes, there may have been reasons on the more technical side as well, but make no mistake about the fact that hockey is played on emotion and we were flat from the get-go and never recovered. Failure to get your players ready for the game falls on the coach. By the way, this isn't a guess on my part, this was Spott's admission after the game.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, there may have been reasons on the more technical side as well, but make no mistake about the fact that hockey is played on emotion and we were flat from the get-go and never recovered. Failure to get your players ready for the game falls on the coach. By the way, this isn't a guess on my part, this was Spott's admission after the game.
Spott might think that, but he's also an idiot. It's a lot easier for him to think that he should have made a speech than to think that he is an inept coach fundamentally. The team was unimpressive in the lead up to that game and changed nothing. No speech from an oaf was going to change things significantly in that game.

Reactions: BondraTime

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Spott might think that, but he's also an idiot. It's a lot easier for him to think that he should have made a speech than to think that he is an inept coach fundamentally. The team was unimpressive in the lead up to that game and changed nothing. No speech from an oaf was going to change things significantly in that game.
I respectfully disagree. Are you telling me you've never played an do-or-die elimination hockey game before? Did your team not pump themselves up? I've never been on one that didn't try to get it's motor running before the game. It doesn't take a genius to do that, even Spott could have managed the feat... If he tried.

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
I just saw McKenzie and Craig button do an analysis of team Canada ( I disregard anything that comes out of Craig button mouth as he is just a sham for team USA ) but team canada seems to be fast and big
In what way is Craig Button a shill for team USA (assuming that's what you meant)?

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
"Cape of champions"? I must have missed that. What are you referencing there? Sounds interesting!

And the team included a Strome. My expectations for a Team Canada gold fall to zero when a Strome brother is included on the roster.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
And the team included a Strome. My expectations for a Team Canada gold fall to zero when a Strome brother is included on the roster.
Oh boy , those strome brothers were hyped up. I remember all the hype only to flop

Oh boy , those strome brothers were hyped up. I remember all the hype only to flop

Even I thought they were going to be superstars but they were no better then 4th liners. Especially one of them

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I respectfully disagree. Are you telling me you've never played an do-or-die elimination hockey game before? Did your team not pump themselves up? I've never been on one that didn't try to get it's motor running before the game. It doesn't take a genius to do that, even Spott could have managed the feat... If he tried.
This is a pointless discussion but it wouldn't have mattered in any realistic scenario. USA destroyed Canada in that game and Canada had looked uninspiring throughout the whole tournament. Steve Spott, an oaf, wasn't going to make a speech that would change the whole course Canada had been on. The same structural problems would have been there and USA started out ready to play hard.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
World Junior Selection Camp starts today.
Per Mark Masters, here’s where everyone’s positioned with to start camp off.

Ostapchuk - Wright - Bedard
Gaucher - Stankoven - Guenther
Bankier - Beck - Othmann
Fantilli - Dean - Dumais
Schaefer - Dach - Roy
Bolduc - Kidney - Greene

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Top 2 lines are all the locks, the other 4 lines are all battling out for a spot.

Going to be 1/2 guys from last years team on the outside looking in.

11/12 guys battling out for 5/6 spots, depending on if you think Roy is a lock.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Screen Shot 2022-12-18 at 2.47.56 PM.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad