NHL Entry Draft 2022 NHL Draft Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Great post I agree with all of it.

I’d also like to point out that Ottawa likes to take some high upside skilled guys at some points in drafts, and they love their overagers.

In 2021 you have Oliver Johansson

2020 was Jarventie and Daoust

2019 was Lodin and Guenette

2018 was Gruden.

So I don’t think it’s out of the question that Ottawa takes a flyer with a mid round pick on a more skilled - offence first guy. Van Steensel checks alot of boxes for the Sens as he exploded for a crazy good second half of the season after only getting like 6 points in hus first 30 games.

I’d also like to highlight some of my favourite re-entries this year since Ottawa loves them.

W Dimitri Buchelnikov
C Tucker Robertson
C Logan Morrison
D Zach Bookman
D Samuel Mayer
C Ben King
D Graham Sward
D Gavin White
W Mikey Milne
W Lucas Edmonds
D David Spacek
D Frederic Brunet
D Sam Sedley
F Connor McClennon
The Sens do like overage prospects so they will likely target a few in this draft. But I do think they tend to prefer big powerforward types who have a lot of grit and look like they are capable high quality depth role players such a Reinhardt, Kastelic and to a lesser extent Sokolov. Sokolov has higher upside than the other two but he still has some of the attributes that could make him a quality depth energy guy.

I'm not as familiar with the overagers in the draft but I think they look for players who fit their typical profile particularly in the later part of the draft. A few of the players that fit that profile are Daylan Kuefler, Simon Kubicek, Joe Arnsten, possibly Connor Kurth and then a few other possibilities could be Gleb Veremyev and Winter Wallace.

Daylan Kuefler could be a Tanner Jeannot type. He is a 3rd year draft eligible. Listed at 6'1 191 lbs. He had 38 goals this season and added another 10 in the playoffs. He also had 7 fights this season.

Simon Kubicek is a 3rd year eligible right shot d. He is listed at 6'2 203 lbs. He had 14 goals and 27 assists for 41 points this season and then put up another 11 points in the playoffs. He had 7 fights this season.

Joe Arntsen is a 2nd year eligible left shot d. He is listed at 6'2.5 198 lbs. He had 8 goals and 29 assists for 37 points this season and then put up 3 points in 4 games in the playoffs. He had 7 fights this season.

Connor Kurth is a 2nd year eligible forward. He is listed at 5'11 214 lbs. He had 35 goals and 46 assists for 81 points this season. He took place in the biosteel all american game and was also invited to the team USA training camp this summer.

Gleb Veremyev is a 2nd year eligible winger. He is listed at 6'4 201 lbs. He had 16 goals and 12 assists for 28 points this season. He had 2 fights. He also took part in the biosteel all american game. He is very phsycial and has a ton of PIMS. He models his game off of Brady and Matthew Tkachuk as well as Jordan Greenway. He is expected to go to Colorado College next season.

Winter Wallace is a 3rd year draft eligible right wing. He is listed at 6'3 214 lbs. He put up 14 goals and 16 assists for 30 points this season. He had 1 fight this season. He has a ton of PIMS and can be a real nasty player. He is pretty fast and has a powerful shot and in some of the clips I have seen he reminds me a bit of Josh Anderson. He is expected to go to Cornell University next season.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Connor Kurth is a 2nd year eligible forward. He is listed at 5'11 214 lbs. He had 35 goals and 46 assists for 81 points this season. He took place in the biosteel all american game and was also invited to the team USA training camp this summer.

Jesuus and I thought Alfie was THICC

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Going by Bob's list without reaching too much... I would go

7. A forward ... (7) Kemell, (8) Lekkerimaki, (9)Savoie, (10) Kasper.
39. A RD (41) Warren, (44) Lamoreux (good forward options here as well with (43) Lund, (45) Goyette)
63. (63) RW/LW Adam Sykora , (67) RW Devin Kaplan, (69) LD Isaiah George
71. (80) C/RW Vinzenz Rohrer, (81) LD Jorian Donovan, (72) C Jordan Gustafson
86. (HM) RW Nick Moldenhauer, (HM) RD Jace Weir

Preference in this list bolded.
I recognize all these names except for Moldenhauer. So moldenhauer may be the only guy we get.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I recognize all these names except for Moldenhauer. So moldenhauer may be the only guy we get.
Over PPG in the USHL thus season - was actually a first round pick for the 67’s a few years back and decided not to report.
He’s a really good skater with good instincts in the offensive zone. He is a little small at 5’11” and is going to need to see a good amount of improvement on his defensive consistency.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I’m not a Nemec guy. I’m all over Kemmel as the high payoff risky pick.
I think everyone's opinion is fair enough at this time of the year, as I don't really think many people really have 'the scoop', so it was just reading glowing reports on Nemec - specifically about how he put up a very good point total playing as a double underager, then more about his calm, cool puck movement under duress that had me very excited.

Also, I read recently that he'd be open to going to the team that picks him's AHL affiliate to really fine tune his game and be ready for the NHL that much quicker. Basically everything about him screams good pro.

But...who knows lol

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think everyone's opinion is fair enough at this time of the year, as I don't really think many people really have 'the scoop', so it was just reading glowing reports on Nemec - specifically about how he put up a very good point total playing as a double underager, then more about his calm, cool puck movement under duress that had me very excited.

Also, I read recently that he'd be open to going to the team that picks him's AHL affiliate to really fine tune his game and be ready for the NHL that much quicker. Basically everything about him screams good pro.

But...who knows lol
I get a bit of a Brannstrom vibe from Nemec, while bigger than EB, I’m not sure Nemec has the wheels to produce as much offence in the NHL as many expect.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
You need Kemmel for a playoff run, because it is a very structural game and teams are tired. That's where super skill forwards shine. That's how Tampa won, and that's how Colorado won now.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Two very different prospects and styles of play entirely.

Stutzle was bigger, more physical, and tenacious. Stutzle was going into the corners battling men in Germany and winning puck battles.

Cooley is like 3 inches shorter, and while he does play good defense, it's more with his stick and IQ than with physicality and tenacity.

I like Cooley as a prospect, I really do, I just don't see him as someone the Sens would pick. I don't think it matters though because he will be gone before us almost for sure.

Also, I'll throw it out there, I think Cooley probably plays wing in the NHL unless he really bulks up.

If Cooley falls to #7 I would grab him immediately and drink a bottle of champagne!

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'd take any one of these ten guys.

1. Wright
2. Slafkovsky
3. Cooley
4. Nemec
5. Gauthier
6. Jiricek
7. Lekkerimaki
8. Kasper
9. Korchinski
10. Geekie
I would add Kemmel before Lekkerimaki, with Geekie falling to 11. Hopefully one of the top 6 falls to us at #7.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Pronman have Jiricek at two and Wright 4
Here's who he has Ottawa taking...

7. Matthew Savoie, C, Winnipeg (WHL)
39. Maveric Lamoureux, RHD, Drummondville (QMJHL)
64. Devin Kaplan, RW, USA U-18 (NTDP)
72. Jordan Dumais, RW, Halifax (QMJHL)
87. Miko Matikka, RW, Jokerit Jr. (FINLAND-JR.)
104. Marc-Andre Gaudet, LHD, Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL)
136. Marek Hejduk, RW, USA U-18 (NTDP)
143. Filip Nordberg, LHD, Sodertalje Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
151. Daimon Gardner, C, Warroad (HIGH-MN)
168. Andrew Oke, G, Saginaw (OHL)
206. Luke Mittelstadt, LHD, Madison (USHL)

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
For fun, I wrote a little script that simulates a draft by randomly pulling a player from each of our draft selections (plus or minus one position), going back to the drafts from 2000-2019.

If the guy hasn't hit 20 games yet, he's not included in the list and basically treated as a bust.

Here's 10 random simulated runs below. I feel like this is a relatively realistic simulation of what we can expect from our 11 picks at this year's draft.

Sean Couturier, Tyson Barrie, David Van Der Gulik
Darnell Nurse, Nicolas Meloche, Mikhail Vorobyov
Derick Brassard, Rob Globke, Tomas Malec, Daniel Carcillo, Cale Fleury, Frankie Corrado
Sam Gagner, Jori Lehtera
Braydon Coburn, Tyson Barrie, Gregory Hofmann, Dominik Simon, Alexander Kerfoot
Philip Broberg, Alex DeBrincat, Martins Karsums
Pascal Leclaire, Vinny Hinostroza
Pavel Zacha, Ryan Potulny
Lias Andersson, Rob Globke, Brendan Bell, Joshua Leivo, Aaron Rome, Nick Jensen
Colin Wilson, Laurent Dauphin, Anton Slepyshev, Michael Anderson

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
There is less readily available footage on some of the other agitators but here are a few clips of them.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The Biosteel All American game has some footage of the USNTDP players but also some of the overage U.S. players I mentioned. The full rosters can be found here:
Team Blue
Team White

The main overagers I mentioned are Connor Kurth (Team White #14) and Gleb Veremyev (Team White #28). Ben Strinden (Team White #16) might also be worth considering.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Winter Wallace is another overager that I mentioned. There isn't as much extended footage available but here are some clips of him. He is #77 for the Youngstown Phantoms.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Should note that Jeff Marek speculated on his most recent podcast that Ottawa would sprint to the stage if Marco Kasper was still there at #7 which aligns with what we heard after the combine interviews.
You love to hear it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad