NHL Entry Draft 2022 NHL Draft Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Noah Warren is at 41 on McKenzie's final rankings list so I'm not sure they need to move at all to have a shot at drafting him. I expect he's in the mix for Ottawa at that point given that they've clearly identified big, defensive defenders as a need [Kleven, Roger, Romeo].

Personally I see more value in using some of our later selections to move pick 64 up a bit.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Going by Bob's list without reaching too much... I would go

7. A forward ... (7) Kemell, (8) Lekkerimaki, (9)Savoie, (10) Kasper.
39. A RD (41) Warren, (44) Lamoreux (good forward options here as well with (43) Lund, (45) Goyette)
63. (63) RW/LW Adam Sykora , (67) RW Devin Kaplan, (69) LD Isaiah George
71. (80) C/RW Vinzenz Rohrer, (81) LD Jorian Donovan, (72) C Jordan Gustafson
86. (HM) RW Nick Moldenhauer, (HM) RD Jace Weir

Preference in this list bolded.
Warren seems like a sens style pick. Him and Kleven on the bottom pair seems plausible in 3 or 4 years or so.

Reactions: aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Truly hoping PHI goes Gauthier and Jarmo goes for Kemell. That would leave us with Jiricek.

If Jiricek is gone, then give me Marco Kasper ahead of Savoie and Kemell
I'd take all 3 swedes over Kasper. He doesn't have high end skill. His feet sure do move fast but I am not sure how much he accomplishes out there. I see alot of Darrem Helm in him good player but not what your target with a top 10 pick imho. He will play for sure but the sens have alot of that. If none of the top 6 fall I want Lekkerimaki. He has a ton of pure skill. The sens don't have anything like that in the system.

The picks to make, assuming they keep all of them:

7 - Marco Kasper
39 - Reid Schaefer/Filip Bystedt/Noah Warren/Rieger Lorenz/Fraser Minten
64/72/87 - Jani Nyman/Jorian Donovan/Josh Filmon/Miko Matikka/Filip Nordberg/Devin Kaplan
104 - Kyle Jackson/Samuel Mayer
136 - Joe Arntsen
143 - Tucker Robertson/Stephen Halliday/Jeremy Langlois
151 - Linus Sjodin/Elmeri Laakso
168 - Kasper Larsen/Samuel Savoie/Maddox Fleming
206 - Ryan Hopkins/Ben King/Kyle McDonald/Evan Boucher/Nick Malik/Jared Davidson
If they are gonna take Kasper 7th I'd rather trade the pick. And I really don't want to trade the pick.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If I was to guess the Sens top 6 list in this draft I'd guess:

1. Wright
2. Slafkovsky
3. Gauthier
4. Jiricek
5. Nemec
6. Kasper

We typically have valued things like size, character, toughness, 200-foot play over pure offensive players. At 5'9-5'10 I don't see them being interested in the likes of Cooley and Savoie, rightfully or wrongfully.
I can assure you they have Slafkovsky ahead of Wright and its not close. They definitely have Cooley over Kasper too.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
I can assure you they have Slafkovsky ahead of Wright and its not close. They definitely have Cooley over Kasper too.

You may be able to convince me on Slafkovsky over Wright but I am not so sure on Cooley. He does not seem like a player the Sens would covet no matter how talented he may be.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Lamoureux too

Sens draft that kid, and half of Prescott Russell will turn into Sens fans overnight. At least, from the chatter I hear in my neighborhood. They love their local boys out here.

But...really trying not to get exicted here, but it kinda feels more and more that there's a decent possibility of getting that Jiricek kid at 7. A potential 1RD would be a massive win for this draft. Don't care who we take after that...if we get that kid I'm ecstatic.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You may be able to convince me on Slafkovsky over Wright but I am not so sure on Cooley. He does not seem like a player the Sens would covet no matter how talented he may be.
They might even have Cooley over Wright it wouldn't surprise me at all. They drafted Stutzle why wouldn't they pick Cooley? Wright is the type of player I think they stay away from. Questionable commitment levels and motor.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
They might even have Cooley over Wright it wouldn't surprise me at all. They drafted Stutzle why wouldn't they pick Cooley? Wright is the type of player I think they stay away from. Questionable commitment levels and motor.

Two very different prospects and styles of play entirely.

Stutzle was bigger, more physical, and tenacious. Stutzle was going into the corners battling men in Germany and winning puck battles.

Cooley is like 3 inches shorter, and while he does play good defense, it's more with his stick and IQ than with physicality and tenacity.

I like Cooley as a prospect, I really do, I just don't see him as someone the Sens would pick. I don't think it matters though because he will be gone before us almost for sure.

Also, I'll throw it out there, I think Cooley probably plays wing in the NHL unless he really bulks up.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If Ottawa loses out on the top six players ranked in this coming draft, I would not be against them drafting Conner Geekie 7th OA & have him play LW with Stutzle in the middle. Actually, since Geekie is a centre they could take turns playing centre & LW depending on who they play against & with his size would help Stutzle. Geekie has soft hands & very good skillset & playmaking ability & can put the puck in the net, he just needs to work on his skating. If we don't get Gauthier than Geekie might be a decent replacement who like Gauthier can play centre or LW, who knows maybe he becomes better than the other big LWer in the draft. I believe Geekie is ranked 13th on Bob's list & was in the top 10 a while a go, so it's not that great a stretch that could pay dividends down the road.

R2010

May 23, 2011
If Ottawa loses out on the top six players ranked in this coming draft, I would not be against them drafting Conner Geekie 7th OA & have him play LW with Stutzle in the middle. Actually, since Geekie is a centre they could take turns playing centre & LW depending on who they play against & with his size would help Stutzle. Geekie has soft hands & very good skillset & playmaking ability & can put the puck in the net, he just needs to work on his skating. If we don't get Gauthier than Geekie might be a decent replacement who like Gauthier can play centre or LW, who knows maybe he becomes better than the other big LWer in the draft. I believe Geekie is ranked 13th on Bob's list & was in the top 10 a while a go, so it's not that great a stretch that could pay dividends down the road.

Geekie's intensity issues and the prior experience with Brown I think would make them very hesitant there. Not the profile of a recent Sens pick IMO.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
For the Sens, I like Jiricek, Gauthier, Kemell, Savoie in that order. I'd even trade up a spot or 2 to get the potential top 4 RD.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Korchinski reminds me a lot of Chabot. and im not really in love with any of the players that could be available at 7.

maybe it's better to take Korchinski who imo will improve his value quickly and a lot, and just trading him for a young forward who can make an impact now vs waiting for the 7th to blossom.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Looks like there's a somewhat consensus top 6 this year like there was a top 9 last year. Hopefully Dorion doesn't decide to completely torpedo the team's draft because of that like he did last year.

The top 6 this year is BS just like the top 9 last year was BS.

Sillinger should have been ranked top 9 last year and made it a top 10.

This year Gauthier and I'd argue Jiricek too aren't a tier above guys like Lekkerimaki, Kasper, Korchinski, etc...

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd take any one of these ten guys.

1. Wright
2. Slafkovsky
3. Cooley
4. Nemec
5. Gauthier
6. Jiricek
7. Lekkerimaki
8. Kasper
9. Korchinski
10. Geekie

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

The WHL has quite a few intriguing smallish talents up for this year's draft that'll likely be available in the mid-rounds. Nguyen and Lisowsky are only two of them.

Others are:

Matthew Ward

Brayden Schuurman

Hudson Thornton

Nolan Flamand

Jordan Gustafson

Ben Hemmerling

I also think Parker Bell is a player the Sens would have their eye on. Big body that uses his size well. Not a pretty skater - needs some work in that area for sure even if his speed is good. Also has a pretty good shot. Raw but with skills that will be interesting for the Sens brass.

Reactions: JMac13

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The WHL has quite a few intriguing smallish talents up for this year's draft that'll likely be available in the mid-rounds. Nguyen and Lisowsky are only two of them.

Others are:

Matthew Ward

Brayden Schuurman

Hudson Thornton

Nolan Flamand

Jordan Gustafson

Ben Hemmerling

I also think Parker Bell is a player the Sens would have their eye on. Big body that uses his size well. Not a pretty skater - needs some work in that area for sure even if his speed is good. Also has a pretty good shot. Raw but with skills that will be interesting for the Sens brass.
The Sens don't typically target smaller forwards in the draft but they do like physical agitator types even if they are a bit undersized like Parker Kelly, Angus Crookshank and Ridly Greig.

I'm not as familiar with the names you have listed here but I am aware that some players that could fit that profile for this draft are Liam Arnsby, Josh Davies, Sam Savoie and Brady Stonehouse. Then to a lesser extent players like Marcus Nguyen, Brandon Lisowsky, Matt Ward, Ryan Abraham and Owen Van Steensel seem to fit that description as well.

I could see Arnsby, Davies, Savoie and Stonehouse being targets by the Sens. I am less sure about Nguyen, Lisowsky, Ward, Abraham and Van Steensel or others that might fit that description. With the amount of picks the Sens have I could certainly see them taking a few of these players this draft.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
The Sens don't typically target smaller forwards in the draft but they do like physical agitator types even if they are a bit undersized like Parker Kelly, Angus Crookshank and Ridly Greig.

I'm not as familiar with the names you have listed here but I am aware that some players that could fit that profile for this draft are Liam Arnsby, Josh Davies, Sam Savoie and Brady Stonehouse. Then to a lesser extent players like Marcus Nguyen, Brandon Lisowsky, Matt Ward, Ryan Abraham and Owen Van Steensel seem to fit that description as well.

I could see Arnsby, Davies, Savoie and Stonehouse being targets by the Sens. I am less sure about Nguyen, Lisowsky, Ward, Abraham and Van Steensel or others that might fit that description. With the amount of picks the Sens have I could certainly see them taking a few of these players this draft.
Great post I agree with all of it.

I’d also like to point out that Ottawa likes to take some high upside skilled guys at some points in drafts, and they love their overagers.

In 2021 you have Oliver Johansson

2020 was Jarventie and Daoust

2019 was Lodin and Guenette

2018 was Gruden.

So I don’t think it’s out of the question that Ottawa takes a flyer with a mid round pick on a more skilled - offence first guy. Van Steensel checks alot of boxes for the Sens as he exploded for a crazy good second half of the season after only getting like 6 points in hus first 30 games.

I’d also like to highlight some of my favourite re-entries this year since Ottawa loves them.

W Dimitri Buchelnikov
C Tucker Robertson
C Logan Morrison
D Zach Bookman
D Samuel Mayer
C Ben King
D Graham Sward
D Gavin White
W Mikey Milne
W Lucas Edmonds
D David Spacek
D Frederic Brunet