NHL Entry Draft 2022 NHL Draft Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Man, I have a big feeling there's an Aho/Point/Bergeron/Subban somewhere in later parts of the 1st round or early 2nd.

We have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds. Hopefully we go full force on skill yet again like 2020. Might be able to get another 3rd for Tierney.

On that note, I recently highlighted some of Trikozov's defensive and power game, now here's a look at some recent fun highlight-reel goals. I really think if he can work out the kinks this kid could be a perennial 35 goal, 80 point threat someday.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
On that note, I recently highlighted some of Trikozov's defensive and power game, now here's a look at some recent fun highlight-reel goals. I really think if he can work out the kinks this kid could be a perennial 35 goal, 80 point threat someday.

My genuine concern is: what's the likelihood we go to Russia for any of our picks?

Stutzle is a bit of an exception being a heralded top 3 pick leading up to the draft, but how many times have we seriously deviated away from NA/Scandinavian hockey, let alone solely US Jr. programs?

The last time we selected a Russian playing in Russian league? 2007(!!!!!).

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Slafkovsky isn’t getting out of the top 5, his game is tailor made for the NHL. 6’4, 220, great projectable skater, great puck skills, and great mind for the game. Total package for a power winger. His game shines down low, that’s something the Sens are building.

There is a very real chance to get a guy like Savoie in the 6-10 range should we finish outside the top 5, I think it’s highly likely he’s taken outside the top 5.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
More skill than Brady, less than Rantanen?

That would be a pretty good player.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
More skill than Brady, less than Rantanen?

That would be a pretty good player.

That's probably accurate.

Although worth noting that Rantanen did not look like a future superstar at the same age as Slafkovosky.

At the same age he had 9 points in 37 games in the SM-Liiga and 18 points in 17 games in the U20.

Comparable to Slafkovsky's 4 points in 21 games in the SM-Liiga and 18 points in 11 games in the U20.

Raw tools of Slafkovsky are tantalizing. If he puts it all together he could be the best player from this draft.

Reactions: Cosmix and james12

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Last late season run resulted in Boucher instead of Clarke, probably.

Hard for this one to sting any more than that.

Oh it can. I think Wright, Slaf, Nemec, Jiri are the creme de la crop because they also fit exactly what we looking for. Hopefully we hit homerun on Miro or by some miracle Cooley slides.

But ya, thinking back, damn Clarke for Boucher... DAMN.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Imagine

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Slafkovsky-Stutzle-Michkov
Formenton-Pinto-greig
Paul-Kastelic-Sokolov

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Thompson
Kleven-JBD

Either way imagine that team.

Reactions: branch

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
My ranking and assessments of the big five small forwards.

1. Logan Cooley - Doesn't seem to have any glaring weakness aside from size, hence being number two of Bob's mid-season list. Some sources have said if he was 6'1 he'd be consensus first overall. Lol, and if Wayne Gretzky had Mario Lemieux's size, or if Mark Stone could skate like Connor McDavid... Seriously though, Cooley is a machine. Elite 200 foot hockey sense. One of the most pro-style players in the draft class - uses his teammates well, committed to defense, knows how to create offense without forcing plays, but also is one of the most creative players in the draft. Good skater and stickhandler, but in my viewings he's far more likely to attack the middle of the ice with his playmaking than attacking defenders one-on-one. Most likely he is the first off the board of these smaller forwards, very good chance he goes top five.

2. Matthew Savoie - Savoie vs. Nazar is a coin-flip for me, but for now I'll give the edge to Savoie. He is the most explosive player in the draft; lightning-quick hands and feet, and can accelerate to full speed on a dime. He's also pretty solid in his own zone. Aside from being the smallest of the bunch at 5'9, other downside is his reliability with the puck. With his explosiveness and quickness, he'll often charge right into clusters of two or three opposing player, and at lower levels often finds his way through, but will drive coaches and teammates crazy with that at higher levels. Perhaps the highest upside of any player in the draft, and also the most likely to lift you out of your seat, but also comes with a lot of risk. Could pretty easily go in the top five, but I also wouldn't be shocked if he fell to the bottom of the top ten.

3. Frank Nazar - I would cal him the most dynamic of the bunch. Doesn't have Savoie's explosiveness and the main weakness seems to be a lack of pure athleticism. But kid can play hockey. Probably the next best skater of the bunch; fast and quick, and extremely deceptive with his ability to make rapid changes of direction and fakes. He likes to utilize the 10-2, often to make quick cuts from the perimeter to inside, but he also likes to open up when he's in tight in front of the goalie to increase the threat of a backhander, a la Patrick Kane or Antonio Stranges. He's also a creative playmaker and crafty with the puck. He's sort of the middle ground between Savoie and Kemell on the one hand who are more aggressive attacking defenders and the middle of the ice, and Cooley and Lekkerimaki on the other, who are more conservative and focused on maintaining puck possession first. Probably doesn't quite have Cooley's or Lekkerimaki's level of offensive IQ that allows them to create offense without taking risks, so sometimes Nazar does need to force things a little and I've seen a few bad giveaways playing against NCAA competition. But Nazar is for my money the best defensive forward of this group. Maybe not as committed as Cooley is to his own zone and staying above the puck, but Nazar knows how to use deception to force opponents to make bad decisions in all three zones.

4. Jonathan Lekkerimaki - Like Cooley, elite hockey IQ is his greatest strength. Also like Cooley, he's very responsible with the puck; actually I would say even moreso, as Cooley is a highly creative playmaker so is bound to give pucks away here and there. Lekkerimaki is more of a pure goal-scorer, he's mostly looking to shoot or give-and-go. Not a lot of turnovers unless you mean the kind given by shooting and missing the net or putting it in the goalie's glove; but even there, his shot selection is really good for a player this age, so not a ton of that either. He's no Savoie or Nazar when it comes to speed, but pretty fast in his own right, and he uses the 10-2 in interesting ways, particularly off the puck, where he is able to explode laterally to slip coverage and move into scoring areas, or vice versa he'll be skating laterally and suddenly burst forward into a loose puck or area pass. I think he's right in the thick of this group, and I could easily see him going inside the top ten.

5. Joakim Kemell - the biggest of the bunch at 5'11 (and three quarters, according to some). He's a very good skater with an elite shot. In my estimation he's the least pro-translatable of the group. Loves to hold onto the puck, and to attack defenders one-on-one (or one-on-two or three). Not explosive like Savoie, but uses his stick skills both to attack defenders as well as to draw them to the outside, and has a deep arsenal of dekes. It may sound contradictory to say both that he is the most perimeter-player of the bunch, but also that he attacks the inside more than any of them except Savoie, but I believe both are true - the trick is he just has the puck on his stick so goddamn much he does a lot of everything. This is certainly true at the junior level, and even in the pros, he doesn't defer to veterans the way any other 17 year old player would. He likes to skate around with the puck on the perimeter and wait for opportunities to pass or skate/deke inside, or shoot for deflections. Wouldn't be the most shocking thing ever if he goes in the top five, but I'd also say there's a pretty good chance he falls out of the top ten, especially if a Nazar or Lekkerimaki sneaks in - there's only gonna be so many sub-6'0 forwards go in the top ten.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
My ranking and assessments of the big five small forwards.

1. Logan Cooley - Doesn't seem to have any glaring weakness aside from size, hence being number two of Bob's mid-season list. Some sources have said if he was 6'1 he'd be consensus first overall. Lol, and if Wayne Gretzky had Mario Lemieux's size, or if Mark Stone could skate like Connor McDavid... Seriously though, Cooley is a machine. Elite 200 foot hockey sense. One of the most pro-style players in the draft class - uses his teammates well, committed to defense, knows how to create offense without forcing plays, but also is one of the most creative players in the draft. Good skater and stickhandler, but in my viewings he's far more likely to attack the middle of the ice with his playmaking than attacking defenders one-on-one. Most likely he is the first off the board of these smaller forwards, very good chance he goes top five.

2. Matthew Savoie - Savoie vs. Nazar is a coin-flip for me, but for now I'll give the edge to Savoie. He is the most explosive player in the draft; lightning-quick hands and feet, and can accelerate to full speed on a dime. He's also pretty solid in his own zone. Aside from being the smallest of the bunch at 5'9, other downside is his reliability with the puck. With his explosiveness and quickness, he'll often charge right into clusters of two or three opposing player, and at lower levels often finds his way through, but will drive coaches and teammates crazy with that at higher levels. Perhaps the highest upside of any player in the draft, and also the most likely to lift you out of your seat, but also comes with a lot of risk. Could pretty easily go in the top five, but I also wouldn't be shocked if he fell to the bottom of the top ten.

3. Frank Nazar - I would cal him the most dynamic of the bunch. Doesn't have Savoie's explosiveness and the main weakness seems to be a lack of pure athleticism. But kid can play hockey. Probably the next best skater of the bunch; fast and quick, and extremely deceptive with his ability to make rapid changes of direction and fakes. He likes to utilize the 10-2, often to make quick cuts from the perimeter to inside, but he also likes to open up when he's in tight in front of the goalie to increase the threat of a backhander, a la Patrick Kane or Antonio Stranges. He's also a creative playmaker and crafty with the puck. He's sort of the middle ground between Savoie and Kemell on the one hand who are more aggressive attacking defenders and the middle of the ice, and Cooley and Lekkerimaki on the other, who are more conservative and focused on maintaining puck possession first. Probably doesn't quite have Cooley's or Lekkerimaki's level of offensive IQ that allows them to create offense without taking risks, so sometimes Nazar does need to force things a little and I've seen a few bad giveaways playing against NCAA competition. But Nazar is for my money the best defensive forward of this group. Maybe not as committed as Cooley is to his own zone and staying above the puck, but Nazar knows how to use deception to force opponents to make bad decisions in all three zones.

4. Jonathan Lekkerimaki - Like Cooley, elite hockey IQ is his greatest strength. Also like Cooley, he's very responsible with the puck; actually I would say even moreso, as Cooley is a highly creative playmaker so is bound to give pucks away here and there. Lekkerimaki is more of a pure goal-scorer, he's mostly looking to shoot or give-and-go. Not a lot of turnovers unless you mean the kind given by shooting and missing the net or putting it in the goalie's glove; but even there, his shot selection is really good for a player this age, so not a ton of that either. He's no Savoie or Nazar when it comes to speed, but pretty fast in his own right, and he uses the 10-2 in interesting ways, particularly off the puck, where he is able to explode laterally to slip coverage and move into scoring areas, or vice versa he'll be skating laterally and suddenly burst forward into a loose puck or area pass. I think he's right in the thick of this group, and I could easily see him going inside the top ten.

5. Joakim Kemell - the biggest of the bunch at 5'11 (and three quarters, according to some). He's a very good skater with an elite shot. In my estimation he's the least pro-translatable of the group. Loves to hold onto the puck, and to attack defenders one-on-one (or one-on-two or three). Not explosive like Savoie, but uses his stick skills both to attack defenders as well as to draw them to the outside, and has a deep arsenal of dekes. It may sound contradictory to say both that he is the most perimeter-player of the bunch, but also that he attacks the inside more than any of them except Savoie, but I believe both are true - the trick is he just has the puck on his stick so goddamn much he does a lot of everything. This is certainly true at the junior level, and even in the pros, he doesn't defer to veterans the way any other 17 year old player would. He likes to skate around with the puck on the perimeter and wait for opportunities to pass or skate/deke inside, or shoot for deflections. Wouldn't be the most shocking thing ever if he goes in the top five, but I'd also say there's a pretty good chance he falls out of the top ten, especially if a Nazar or Lekkerimaki sneaks in - there's only gonna be so many sub-6'0 forwards go in the top ten.

I'm worried that if all size goes early we will pass on all the small skilled forwards next up.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
We are getting closer. If we get the 1st overall this year we will be legit perennial contenders sooner rather than later.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I have Pinto center the 3rd line giving us an elite 3rd line.

If we can achieve to have Formenton - Pinto - Brown as the 3rd line and still have a dangerous top-6 (already have 4 pieces in Batherson, Stutzle, Norris and Tkachuk), we're in f'in business for the forward group.

Hopefully, we draft someone like Sillinger with our 10th OA pick this year another piece in the upcoming draft!

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad