Prospect Info: 2022-23 Prospect Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Good to see Fensore capping his BU career with a deep run in his only year as captain. I don't think the offense ever jumped off the page the way it could have, but he has developed into a well-rounded defender at that level and that was more than people assumed could be done. I hate to say it, but it might be smart for him to explore his free agent options. he's played with Zegras his whole life so it wouldn't shock me if he ended up in Anaheim with the rebuild they have going on over there.

Got to get Rizzo signed out of all the guys. Wall might be a PTO. Ideally love to get Morrow in the fold as well but he might not be in any rush to make his call as its doubtful he's in the conversation after Ghost got here. Rizzo should be in the AHL yesterday. Wall should get a PTO. He kind of did what you'd expect a 23 year old to do with even AHL talent at Penn State. They don't have the best track record of sending guys to the NHL, either.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Good to see Fensore capping his BU career with a deep run in his only year as captain. I don't think the offense ever jumped off the page the way it could have, but he has developed into a well-rounded defender at that level and that was more than people assumed could be done. I hate to say it, but it might be smart for him to explore his free agent options. he's played with Zegras his whole life so it wouldn't shock me if he ended up in Anaheim with the rebuild they have going on over there.

Got to get Rizzo signed out of all the guys. Wall might be a PTO. Ideally love to get Morrow in the fold as well but he might not be in any rush to make his call as its doubtful he's in the conversation after Ghost got here. Rizzo should be in the AHL yesterday. Wall should get a PTO. He kind of did what you'd expect a 23 year old to do with even AHL talent at Penn State. They don't have the best track record of sending guys to the NHL, either.
It’s already confirmed Morrow is going back for his junior year.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Fensore has a better shot here of becoming a long-shot NHLer than in Anaheim. The whole reason why Thrun wanted out was because of Anaheim's glut of LD prospects.

I would say that Wall is much more interesting than most Penn State 6th round prospects and may be worth an ELC shot because he been consistently productive since his sophomore year. I would expect that he gets a tryout first, however.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

What's the odds he becomes a college free agent and signs here with the Canes?

And then what's the odds after that when we unnecessarily call him up to play 4th line center, just so we get the press that he got to play a game with his dad behind the bench?

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

And then what's the odds after that when we unnecessarily call him up to play 4th line center, just so we get the press that he got to play a game with his dad behind the bench?

I don't know, I get the feeling Brind'Amour's the type to make his own kid work juuuust a little bit harder than everyone else to get the same ice time.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

If Skyler plays 1 game with the Canes, I personally will be delighted.

If he plays more, I'll probably be mad. But maybe not!

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
So the whole Wolves nonsense is affecting Carolina's ability to sign prospects as they have no idea where they will be playing next year--which brings up the question--why does the AHL allow an independent team? While I like watching non-affiliated teams play, it really isn't for the quality of hockey, just the ability to pay minor league money for minor league play. No one from Winston-Salem or Huntsville or Fayetteville will ever sniff the NHL and I'm ok with that. But why would any team owner want their prospects to play against a team that has no potential repercussions for other NHL teams? Say Chicago goes out and gets a group of AAAA players,, including some goons--what is to prevent them from throwing hits that would be borderline at best? There are no roster limits, so Chicago could just go out and get new goons if they are suspended and most likely the players throwing the hits wouldn't have an NHL career anyways--so why would they care? It is just not a good decision for the NHL to let their property play against players they don't really have any control over.

If Chicago and the other 5 non-NHL teams think they can make money having a league devoid of NHL prospects, go for it--but the NHL shouldn't allow their players to participate.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really think I am...

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Here's the thing, we REALLY don't know if the AHL even will allow a non-affiliated team to play. The last time a team tried it was Norfolk, and the AHL basically said "well, we make the schedules, we say you have to have an affiliate". I'd love to see them take the same approach with the Wolves.

Either way, affiliating with them was monumentally stupid to begin with and now we're seeing the results. I wouldn't be surprised if some rumor of this was spreading over a month ago in some circles seeing as how Morrow, a guy that really doesn't have much left to prove at the NCAA level, is going back rather than signing. And in a situation where the possibility exists that we have a split affiliation meaning he'd possibly be getting ECHL ice time or playing once every 3 games I really can't f***ing blame him.

From what I recall the Wolves would still have to meet the eligibility requirements, but that still doesn't stop them from pulling what the Jackets did at Traverse City and signing a bunch of 23-25 YO NCAA guys that have no shot at the NHL or ECHLers that haven't played that many games yet in the A or Europe. And I could easily see them trying to take that same approach over the course of a season, making a mockery of the whole thing in the process.

Last edited:

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
And its not just Morrow--Fensore, Wall and Rizzo are in the same boat. Those are the 3 that really need to prove something to make it and now that chance is, at best, delayed.

I agree letting egos get in the way of business was really the impetus for all of this nonsense, Charlotte was better for Carolina and better for the Checkers but that is water under the bridge and the Canes need to find an affiliate and soon. Then the AHL needs to accept the fight with Chicago and realize that if a court battle is needed, they have to go to court.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
And its not just Morrow--Fensore, Wall and Rizzo are in the same boat. Those are the 3 that really need to prove something to make it and now that chance is, at best, delayed.

I agree letting egos get in the way of business was really the impetus for all of this nonsense, Charlotte was better for Carolina and better for the Checkers but that is water under the bridge and the Canes need to find an affiliate and soon. Then the AHL needs to accept the fight with Chicago and realize that if a court battle is needed, they have to go to court.
3 years ago, Chicago was better for Carolina's affiliate. things change.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
3 years ago, Chicago was better for Carolina's affiliate. things change.
It turns out, Chicago treated Carolina the same way they treated St. Louis.

Funny thing is the AHL board is blaming Dundon for this and claiming Carolina didn't put the money into veterans. I see plenty of veterans in Chicago on 2-way deals (Dzingel, MacEachern, Stromwall, Fitzgerald, Lagesson, trade for Dugan); they just didn't play well. Meanwhile, the two best veterans on 2-way deals made the Hurricanes out of camp (Noesen, Chatfield.)

I don't have an issue with Chicago trying to go independent, but I question if they will be able to sign enough good players to be competitive. When given a choice between a 2-way deal with the chance of being called up to the NHL, or a higher salaried deal exclusively with an AHL team, what do you think most players are going to take? I am confident most of them will take the 2-way deal with the chance to play in the NHL.

And if they aren't taking a 2-way deal, do they choose to play in the AHL in Chicago or in Europe?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
It turns out, Chicago treated Carolina the same way they treated St. Louis.

Funny thing is the AHL board is blaming Dundon for this and claiming Carolina didn't put the money into veterans. I see plenty of veterans in Chicago on 2-way deals (Dzingel, MacEachern, Stromwall, Fitzgerald, Lagesson, trade for Dugan); they just didn't play well. Meanwhile, the two best veterans on 2-way deals made the Hurricanes out of camp (Noesen, Chatfield.)

I don't have an issue with Chicago trying to go independent, but I question if they will be able to sign enough good players to be competitive. When given a choice between a 2-way deal with the chance of being called up to the NHL, or a higher salaried deal exclusively with an AHL team, what do you think most players are going to take? I am confident most of them will take the 2-way deal with the chance to play in the NHL.

And if they aren't taking a 2-way deal, do they choose to play in the AHL in Chicago or in Europe?
I think Carolina knew what they were getting into.

3 years ago and since, the Canes weren’t going to have many actual prospects in the AHL and didn’t want to pay a ton for AHL veterans who weren’t much more than emergency callups. Chicago was more than willing to oblige because they want to win and were willing to pay (Charlotte wanted to spend as little as possible).

Then the pandemic hit, and chicago probably wanted some help with the veterans. They got some reprieve by splitting with Nashville but likely didn’t get much more help from Carolina.

As they struggle this year and likely lose ticket revenue, especially playoff revenue, Chicago likely wanted some help with veteran contracts. Carolina likely said sure, we give you much cheaper prospects to fill out the roster and be more prospect focused next year. Chicago said eff off.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think Carolina knew what they were getting into.

3 years ago and since, the Canes weren’t going to have many actual prospects in the AHL and didn’t want to pay a ton for AHL veterans who weren’t much more than emergency callups. Chicago was more than willing to oblige because they want to win and were willing to pay (Charlotte wanted to spend as little as possible).

Then the pandemic hit, and chicago probably wanted some help with the veterans. They got some reprieve by splitting with Nashville but likely didn’t get much more help from Carolina.

As they struggle this year and likely lose ticket revenue, especially playoff revenue, Chicago likely wanted some help with veteran contracts. Carolina likely said sure, we give you much cheaper prospects to fill out the roster and be more prospect focused next year. Chicago said eff off.
So to sum up: the Chicago Wolves neither know their role nor shut their mouth.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Surely there is at least 1 AHL team up for sale. After this mess Dundon must see the benefits of actually owning an AHL franchise as opposed to affiliating with one. Right??
you'd think so, but not all that likely. Majority of the ones that are team owned were bought a while back or granted when the parent club expanded into the NHL. A lot of the remaining AHL independent-affiliations are teams that were in much better financial shape.

The one idea that does intrigue me is that 1 - there has been some smoke around the Atlanta hockey community about the Gladiators moving up to the AHL level since Anson Carter bought the team, and 2 - there's the rumor out there about the possibility of Houston and Atlanta as the NHLs next expansion targets, which Anson is expected to be involved with at the Atlanta side. I can see the Canes trying to work with Anson and the AHL to get them up to the AHL level if Chicago is 100% insistent about going independent. Yeah scheduling for a 33 team league is a pain, but is it all that much different than when the NHL scheduled for a 21 team league for years?

My preference is still obviously for the AHL to go "the hell you are" to Chicago going fully independent... as long as we have a completely different affiliate ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad