Prospect Info: 2022-23 Prospect Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think a lot of that is based on his stats. Very few defenseman put up such numbers in the KHL, let alone as a 21 year old. On the one hand, I kind of doubt he's the best prospect owned by an NHL team, but on the other hand, there just isn't a comparable really for such a player coming out of the KHL league.
yep. That said even ignoring the stats a lot of the improvements that he's made in his overall game have been noticeable. When we drafted him in his highlights he looked like a giraffe on skates, now he's a legitimately good skater (especially for his size) and his defensive zone coverage is MUCH better than it was. The star potential I'm not all-in on yet, though I prefer not to be until he gets to the show, been burned too many times on that in the past. But in terms of drafted prospects that have yet to hit the NHL, he's probably the most ready to make the move and step into a top 6/top 4 role in the league right now. The closest similarity as a prospect that I've seen with the kind of offensive production he showed is probably Phaneuf as a prospect, and Boom seems to be much better at not taking himself out of the play just to make a hit. But Nikishin's 2 years older and more mature as a prospect than Phaneuf was at that point.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Anyone take stock in this (saw it on twitter today) evaluator:

1688593034993.png

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeah that's Byron Bader. He's legit.
What's funny is he said we have the #1 goalie prospect pool in the NHL. I was stunned by that take.
Pyotr and Khazheyev were the 2 keepers he pointed out.
yeah Kooch basically already being an NHL-starter caliber player while still somehow being Calder eligible is basically a cheat code for the position ranking there, and that's before Khazheyev was selected since he's pretty solid in his own right.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
not surprised to see Nadeau1.0 on the invite list. Honestly was kindof surprised he wasn't our 7th round selection this year.
He's like 5'8" and 160lbs...maybe if he grows and bulks up next year someone might take him, but it's rare to be that small and get drafted by an NHL team*

*other than the Hurricanes who love drafting undersized skill players every f***ing year

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
He's like 5'8" and 160lbs...maybe if he grows and bulks up next year someone might take him, but it's rare to be that small and get drafted by an NHL team*

*other than the Hurricanes who love drafting undersized skill players every f***ing year

Eh, I'd guess that they're buying some raffle tickets hoping they hit a DeBrincat or Gaudreau. Might still be traces of an NHL size bias inefficiency they're hoping might improve their odds. As long as the tickets are cheap enough and that's not their only strategy, I can see the rationale.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

I wonder if they think enough of Honka to keep him stateside this year.

This is a mess. Not having an AHL affiliate is a bit of a gong show. Doesn’t really matter that we can find places to put them, having them in our system learning from our coaches and other players in our system is a good thing…to state the obvious.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
This is a mess. Not having an AHL affiliate is a bit of a gong show. Doesn’t really matter that we can find places to put them, having them in our system learning from our coaches and other players in our system is a good thing…to state the obvious.
Seriously, it does no good to draft 50 players if you don't have anywhere to develop them...at least not nearly as directly. It'll be harder for them to determine who's ready for the NHL because SHL/Liiga/KHL are much harder to translate than AHL. Of course they won't be able to learn the system either. Even if we loan guys to other AHL clubs they're likely not getting priority development/ice time with an opponent club. Hopefully it's only a year. I bet we end up loaning a bunch of guys to Chicago by the start of the season. Still ends up being a bad look for Dundon regardless of how the situation devolved with the Checkers, because everyone kinda knew what they were getting into with Chicago and had 3 years to figure something else out (because we KNEW it would turn into a shitshow at some point).

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Seriously, it does no good to draft 50 players if you don't have anywhere to develop them...at least not nearly as directly. It'll be harder for them to determine who's ready for the NHL because SHL/Liiga/KHL are much harder to translate than AHL. Of course they won't be able to learn the system either. Even if we loan guys to other AHL clubs they're likely not getting priority development/ice time with an opponent club. Hopefully it's only a year. I bet we end up loaning a bunch of guys to Chicago by the start of the season. Still ends up being a bad look for Dundon regardless of how the situation devolved with the Checkers, because everyone kinda knew what they were getting into with Chicago and had 3 years to figure something else out (because we KNEW it would turn into a shitshow at some point).
Good points and I'd add better to develop in North American sized rinks.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Good points and I'd add better to develop in North American sized rinks.
Yes, I was actually going to hit on not just that, but learning the "American game" too (generally much more physical than Euro leagues)...but my brain shorted and I forgot lol

Basically, we dated the "bad boy" and wondered why he ended up being an asshole and breaking our hearts. Or on the flip side, we dated the crazy hot chick that is single every 3 months thinking we could tame her and ended up single again 3 months later. It may not be "our fault" per se, but we definitely should have f***ing known better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad