Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I was thinking a lot about our possible lines

Heinen - Getzlaf - Henrique
Rakell - Steel - Silfverberg
Comtois - Zegras - Terry
Jones - Grant - Milano

Heck, we are really crowdy there :)
If Zegras is a contributor this year it may really boost pur forward group by putting guys in better roles. I think id actually prefer the following though:
Rakell-Getzlaf-Heinen
Milano/MC/Jones-Steel- Silf
Rico-Zegras-Terry
Des-Grant-Rowney
On a side note: I know most of us have written off Backes but I could see him getting time with Getzlaf and the digger/front net guy too.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Throwing Z on a line with Henrique and Terry may be a good thing, could work. Stack up the top line with Rakell, Getz and Silf. But most importantly, Z needs to be on the PP. With the addition of Shattenkirk as well, PP could be a force this year and that will win more games and maybe not lose so many games by a 1-2 score.

Rakell - Getz - Silf
Zegras - Henrique - Terry
Comtois/Milano - Steel - Heinen

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
This is a random thought but I think this is the most likeable team we've had in a long time. Subtracting Ritchie helps a lot in that department, I suppose, but Shattenkirk and Backes seem like good locker room guys too. It just seems like the players enjoy playing here and with each other (Grant and Miller come to mind). I'm a little concerned though now that Ritchie is gone we will have to find a new whipping boy. I say we all just agree to make it Larsson this year.

Don't get me wrong though, we're still going to suck.
It's already been Larsson for a solid season

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Throwing Z on a line with Henrique and Terry may be a good thing, could work. Stack up the top line with Rakell, Getz and Silf. But most importantly, Z needs to be on the PP. With the addition of Shattenkirk as well, PP could be a force this year and that will win more games and maybe not lose so many games by a 1-2 score.

Rakell - Getz - Silf

I guess it would depend if we run a “shutdown” line. I don’t know what line you’d match up against other teams’ top lines from those choices.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017

Rakell - Getz - Silf

I see Henrique scoring 30+ goals if Zegras is passing him the puck with how incredible of a passer Zegras is. He was only 4 short of 30 last season on a bad Ducks team.
Henrique has had the unfortunate luck of being on low scoring teams nearly his whole career, from low scoring Devils to the low scoring Ducks.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I see Henrique scoring 30+ goals if Zegras is passing him the puck with how incredible of a passer Zegras is. He was only 4 short of 30 last season on a bad Ducks team.
Henrique has had the unfortunate luck of being on low scoring teams nearly his whole career, from low scoring Devils to the low scoring Ducks.

I figured load up the 1st line, and have Zegras skate with a guy who can score goals and provide defense and protection for him, and throw in Terry who had nice chemistry with Henrique, and it could be a very good line. The whole shutdown line thing, I get it, but this is a team that needs to find their offensive game, and with the upgrade on D, and Gibson playing like Gibson can focus on a more attack plan with the forwards.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I figured load up the 1st line, and have Zegras skate with a guy who can score goals and provide defense and protection for him, and throw in Terry who had nice chemistry with Henrique, and it could be a very good line. The whole shutdown line thing, I get it, but this is a team that needs to find their offensive game, and with the upgrade on D, and Gibson playing like Gibson can focus on a more attack plan with the forwards.
I was thinking much the same way. I just swapped Heinen and Silf. I think each of the top 3 lines has a player who is strong defensively.

Reactions: Leonardo87

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007

You could be right. But you could also be confusing cause and effect.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
Could someone please clarify the taxi squad rule for me? It's basically just an extended roster of 4-6 players where 1 has to be a goalie unless the team is carrying 3 goalies already. They basically get paid their AHL salary (if not two-way contract they get paid full salary) and can't play games for an AHL affiliate for example. This is right, right?

Are teams able to adjust the taxi squad as they wish? It probably doesn't make sense to have some players sit around for weeks without actual game time so I could see a lot of movement in the taxi squad. And do you guys think this means that the actual game roster will be rotated more now with the addition of the taxi squad or do you think it's just an added reserve in case of illness/injury.

Been out of the loop for a long time and trying to catch up on what's new as the season is about to begin.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Could someone please clarify the taxi squad rule for me? It's basically just an extended roster of 4-6 players where 1 has to be a goalie unless the team is carrying 3 goalies already. They basically get paid their AHL salary (if not two-way contract they get paid full salary) and can't play games for an AHL affiliate for example. This is right, right?

Are teams able to adjust the taxi squad as they wish? It probably doesn't make sense to have some players sit around for weeks without actual game time so I could see a lot of movement in the taxi squad. And do you guys think this means that the actual game roster will be rotated more now with the addition of the taxi squad or do you think it's just an added reserve in case of illness/injury.

Been out of the loop for a long time and trying to catch up on what's new as the season is about to begin.
My understanding is that the taxi squad works like an AHL demotion as far as waivers and pay are concerned. But they are still allowed to practice with the NHL club which normally wouldn't be allowed. This is designed to allow player replacements due to injury for the NHL squad without having the players need to quarantine as they are already with the team. The Taxi squad can be changed by the team but any changes unrelated to injuries have to be approved by the league from what I understand. In order to use the players from the taxi squad in games the team must have the cap space to add them to the roster.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
My understanding is that the taxi squad works like an AHL demotion as far as waivers and pay are concerned. But they are still allowed to practice with the NHL club which normally wouldn't be allowed. This is designed to allow player replacements due to injury for the NHL squad without having the players need to quarantine as they are already with the team. The Taxi squad can be changed by the team but any changes unrelated to injuries have to be approved by the league from what I understand. In order to use the players from the taxi squad in games the team must have the cap space to add them to the roster.
Thanks! How about using the taxi squad players, do you need to have injuries to use them or are they free to be used as part of rotation?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Thanks! How about using the taxi squad players, do you need to have injuries to use them or are they free to be used as part of rotation?
I think they can be used at any time as long as the team has roster and cap space. I don't believe teams are allowed to exceed the 23 man roster limit so a call up would have to be for an injury or also have a player sent "down."I am admittedly not as familiar with that aspect so if someone else knows better please correct me.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I think they can be used at any time as long as the team has roster and cap space. I don't believe teams are allowed to exceed the 23 man roster limit so a call up would have to be for an injury or also have a player sent "down."I am admittedly not as familiar with that aspect so if someone else knows better please correct me.
Ah, right. Of course the player rotating out would then have to be put on the taxi squad which wasn't that simple. I'm just interested to see what kind of players will be on teams' taxi squads as they might be sitting around for a while without seeing any game time. Not sure it's the best place for a developing player. Then again in case of CHL players where the other option is to not play at all (at least for now) it makes sense.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Ah, right. Of course the player rotating out would then have to be put on the taxi squad which wasn't that simple. I'm just interested to see what kind of players will be on teams' taxi squads as they might be sitting around for a while without seeing any game time. Not sure it's the best place for a developing player. Then again in case of CHL players where the other option is to not play at all (at least for now) it makes sense.
My guess is the top SD call up options will be on the squad until the AHL season starts then it would likely turn into veteran type AHL call ups. You might see waiver exempt players on it even if they are regular players as teams try to save cap/money. They would just be recalled for games. Assuming they are running a roster under 23 players so they can come up without anyone going down.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Interesting quote from BM about the vets on our roster

upload_2021-1-4_16-29-32.png

And about the kids

upload_2021-1-4_16-30-44.png

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Interesting quote from BM about the vets on our roster

View attachment 381991

And about the kids

View attachment 381993
Sounds like there could be some changes coming in this offseason.
That second quote is a bit troublesome though. This is how you lose William Karlsson type players for nothing.
I think Steel and Jones in particular should have seen much more AHL time last year, but they just kept them up. Terry at least had some time in the A but was kept for long in the NHL as well. Comtois spent most of the year in the A but is the youngest.

Reactions: Paul4587

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The photo the Ducks posted of Steel on the wing looked like a powerplay unit.

Here's a quote from unfinished business for context:
Here's what the composition of Ducks PP units have been in workouts/scrimmages. PP1: Shattenkirk (QB), Rakell, Henrique, Silfverberg, Grant (net front). PP2: Fowler (QB), Steel, Heinen, Getzlaf, revolving player TBA. Big role right off the bat for Shattenkirk. Also a huge change for Getzlaf, whom Eakins could start in net front, down low role. There was experimentation with that to end '19-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad