Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I don’t know why, but I just get the sense that this season will be the worst of our drafting top 10 years. I just have a feeling we finish bottom 5, and ownership will move on from both Murray and Eakins. Looking at our roster and trying to form line combos just gives me no faith

Reactions: AngelDuck

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I don’t know why, but I just get the sense that this season will be the worst of our drafting top 10 years. I just have a feeling we finish bottom 5, and ownership will move on from both Murray and Eakins. Looking at our roster and trying to form line combos just gives me no faith
I could see it happening. I could also see the young guys taking a step forward and us being a playoff bubble team. Gibson in net with some quality defensemen should ensure we aren't too bad.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Might not be the worst possible outcome in the long run.

I'm hoping that the upcoming expansion draft gives us an opportunity to gain some long term cap space, without giving up any sweeteners, of course. A flat cap NHL is a buyers market, after all.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
If you want to label him as someone who needs to play with a shooter then it makes sense I guess. I think he’s a more versatile player than to need specific types of players to play with.

And this is how we can complete that line with Silf. Silf is a versatile player, but more known for his defensive play despite owning the best shot on the team. A Rakell-Rico-Silf line has a lot of scoring mentality. If you throw in Zegras, then it makes that line far more dangerous since Zegras adds another element to the offense than Rakell does to that line. A Zegras-Rico-Silf line will be more versatile and dynamic offensively. And if Zegras puts more effort on the defensive end, then he improves on an aspect that Rakell has oft been accused of.

This is all fantasy land, of course. What Zegras has been doing is against his peers. He hasn't played against players over 20 years old and with more talent to be faced against. With that said, Zegras is the most talented forward in our system, which includes C Steel, RW Terry, LW Comtois, LW Jones, and C Lundestrom. I'm sure Zegras will get a few games with the NHL club to get the litmus test, but it could also balance our top three forward lines:

Rakell-Getzlaf-Heinen
Zegras-Rico-Silf
Milano-Steel-Terry​

First line: Getz is the passer, Rakell is the scorer, and Heinen is the defensive guy
Second line: Zegras is the passer, Rico and Silf are the scorers, as well as Silf is the defensive guy
Third line: Terry is the passer, Milano is the scorer, and Steel is the defensive guy

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
If Zegras is with the Ducks
I do like the idea of Henrique
Two guys with creativity and hockey IQ

I don’t want Zegras rushed but if he’s ready it will be fun to watch

our team looks like a pick up team right now after last year
Lot of guys look like they’ll be exciting. Will be interesting to see if the pieces can be put together and woek

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

It depends a lot on Terry and Steels development. They’re both still young (particularly Steel) and had rough years last year but there’s still loads of untapped upside and if they take big steps we could have two more legitimate top 6 forwards. That could go a long way in making us a really deep team again.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
It depends a lot on Terry and Steels development. They’re both still young (particularly Steel) and had rough years last year but there’s still loads of untapped upside and if they take big steps we could have two more legitimate top 6 forwards. That could go a long way in making us a really deep team again.
Definitely agree, and while I think both have a very real shot of becoming at least key complimentary players next season, I was also expecting them to get to that level last season as well, so I’m hesitant to really expect anything until it happens.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Definitely agree, and while I think both have a very real shot of becoming at least key complimentary players next season, I was also expecting them to get to that level last season as well, so I’m hesitant to really expect anything until it happens.

That was my mistake last year. I thought both would be in the 40-50 point range. I’m cautiously optimistic they were going through sophomore slump issues and there is still a lot of development to come.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I honestly don't care who Zegras' line mates are if he is with the Ducks. Shelter him 5 on 5 if we have to. Just so he is on the first PP. I don't see him being a big factor at even strength right away. But he is the Ducks best PP weapon, now.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I honestly don't care who Zegras' line mates are if he is with the Ducks. Shelter him 5 on 5 if we have to.

Proper sheltering was the key for the youth to develop last year. Do we have personnel who can shelter them this year? This is why I think the additions of Heinen and Milano are huge. I do think that Heinen is that nice glue guy that's a great compliment to Getz, so that Getz doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting. Milano would probably fall into that "youth that still needs to develop", as he's just a year older than Terry, iirc. Heinen and Milano keeps some of the younger prospects down on the farm so as not to rush all of them.

Then we have our defense that can cover up their mistakes. We have more depth starting this season than last season with the additions of Shattenkirk and Djoos. We have a stay-at-home RHD in Hakanpaa if needed to pair with Fowler to keep Fowler on the left side. Then there's the dark horse in Curran.

We should be able to shelter the youth forwards better for this coming season than last year, but we also need the youth to step up. This extended time away from hockey may actually help our youth bulk up their bodies as well as improve their skating, which also includes Lundestrom.

Out of all of the players on the team, Rakell is the player I hope to step up his game the most. According to the pretend stats, Rakell was unlucky, but was in the right place at the right time (from the Crash the Pond podcasters).

Still, it's crazy to know we have Zegras and Drysdale on the way soon, sooner for Zegras.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Yeah, I like this idea if he makes the team. Henrique is perfect because he is centre who likes to shoot.

If Zegras is with the Ducks
I do like the idea of Henrique
Two guys with creativity and hockey IQ

I don’t want Zegras rushed but if he’s ready it will be fun to watch

our team looks like a pick up team right now after last year
Lot of guys look like they’ll be exciting. Will be interesting to see if the pieces can be put together and woek
Henrique is also a guy who's played alot of wing in his career, so if Zegras plays one game at LW and another game at Center, Henrique & Zegras both can swap positions while staying on the same line to develop chemistry.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Proper sheltering was the key for the youth to develop last year. Do we have personnel who can shelter them this year? This is why I think the additions of Heinen and Milano are huge. I do think that Heinen is that nice glue guy that's a great compliment to Getz, so that Getz doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting. Milano would probably fall into that "youth that still needs to develop", as he's just a year older than Terry, iirc. Heinen and Milano keeps some of the younger prospects down on the farm so as not to rush all of them.

Then we have our defense that can cover up their mistakes. We have more depth starting this season than last season with the additions of Shattenkirk and Djoos. We have a stay-at-home RHD in Hakanpaa if needed to pair with Fowler to keep Fowler on the left side. Then there's the dark horse in Curran.

We should be able to shelter the youth forwards better for this coming season than last year, but we also need the youth to step up. This extended time away from hockey may actually help our youth bulk up their bodies as well as improve their skating, which also includes Lundestrom.

Out of all of the players on the team, Rakell is the player I hope to step up his game the most. According to the pretend stats, Rakell was unlucky, but was in the right place at the right time (from the Crash the Pond podcasters).

Still, it's crazy to know we have Zegras and Drysdale on the way soon, sooner for Zegras.
You could argue that one of our biggest issues last tear was the failure of Kase and Ritchie to step up to consistent contributors. If we can get the from Heinen and maybe one of the other kids I think we're in a better position right off the bat not including development from the other kids

Bergey37

May 19, 2019
We are also forgetting about Max Comtois; will he crack the lineup? I thought he could have last year, but I think the year with the Gulls did him good. Right now I perceive him to be a better player and fit for the team than Milano, but I think he needs to be in the top 6. Jones I feel is a much better 3LW than Milano.

Reactions: Kalv and Deuce22
Oct 18, 2011
One of the reasons I dont want Zegras rushed is so we can get a look at these other guys for an extended period. It's a big year for Steel, Terry, Jones, Milano, and Comtois. A few need to step up

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Murray indicated that Tracey, Drysdale, Perreault might have a chance to play for the Gulls this year through some tweaks. Wouldn't happen in a normal year

If Zegras is in the AHL, then could you imagine a line of Tracey-Zegras-Perrault? Ohhhhhh my goodness! Tracey will be like, "These two guys are more talented than the overagers I had when I won WHL rookie of the year." Zegras is the great eye. Perrault has that high first assist production. Tracey can be the finisher. Pass-shoot-score!

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If Zegras is in the AHL, then could you imagine a line of Tracey-Zegras-Perrault? Ohhhhhh my goodness! Tracey will be like, "These two guys are more talented than the overagers I had when I won WHL rookie of the year." Zegras is the great eye. Perrault has that high first assist production. Tracey can be the finisher. Pass-shoot-score!
That line would not be good in the AHL.... next season....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad