Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Rico has looked really lazy. For comparison, Ricky has been working his ass off.

Rico will not get claimed tho. Those teams who could use him, does not have the cap space

I fully expect him to go unclaimed. Cap space is just too precious right now. There will be teams interested in his services but I just highly doubt we shed the entire contract without money coming back.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
A thought I had a while back was the other New York team, where their GM drafted Rico and they've got something of a need at LW, it would just involve taking a bad contract or two back.

Columbus was another thought. We already know they're on his list, which is curious in of itself, and seemingly could use a center just like Henrique. They also could claim him in the short term and trade something out later.

Something around Henrique for Komarov? Leo has half the term at a much lower number, and on a reduced salary to boot.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
Stephens just wrote a small article on the Henrique stiff. He alludes to the comments from BM posted above. Essentially, he said the combination of young players improving (Terry, Lundestrum, Comtois) and bad veteran play are the reason. Also, BM wanted to send a message that you either step up or your out. Stephens does not believe he'll play today. I don't think he'll play as a Duck again.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Buffalo comes to mind immediately. They need to shake things up as well. Henrique's family farm is nearby so perhaps he's willing to waive to go there.

Okposo has a similar cap hit, one less year on the deal and is on a deflated salary the next couple seasons. A deal involving those two saves the Ducks quite a bit of money in the short term and gets them clear of the contract sooner. Buffalo takes the chance on the guy less removed from being an impact player.

Yeah, thats another one, has one of his best friends in Montour on the team as well. Stephens also brought up Minnesota which also makes sense and might be one he needs to be convinced to waive for(also could play right away).

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Something around Henrique for Komarov? Leo has half the term at a much lower number, and on a reduced salary to boot.

Lou recently threw Komarov on waivers as well. I don't think they would have a roster spot for Rico.

Seems like a bad time to be on the wrong side of 30 in the NHL.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Lou recently threw Komarov on waivers as well. I don't think they would have a roster spot for Rico.

Seems like a bad time to be on the wrong side of 30 in the NHL.

Kieffer Bellows is a recent enough first rounder but has also been a nothing in their lineup when he's been in, as has Michael Del Colle. Theres definitely a use, just a question of whether or not they want the extra commitment. I would if I were Lou but I'm not Lou.

ReptilianQuack

Jan 17, 2019
Vancouver
Doesnt matter to me whom we get back or from where. Less term/Less money is all that I care about. Even then, Id rather the spot be open for another kid to play. Ideally.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
The other thing could be that Bob knows no one will claim him and wants to get other guys into the lineup and needs Henrique on the taxi squad while rotating other guys in. But I think my first thought that something is up is more likely.
They don't need to send him to the taxi squad for that. We have the LTIR space to recall any of the replacement players. This isn't about the taxi squad or getting guys into the lineup.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2021-2-20_11-52-49.png

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
They don't need to send him to the taxi squad for that. We have the LTIR space to recall any of the replacement players. This isn't about the taxi squad or getting guys into the lineup.

In theory, there is exactly one lineup(assuming no other major changes) that you likely need Henrique off the 23-man roster where Milano or someone else off the Gulls, Jones and Backes all play. It's also technically still doable then but makes less sense.

But yeah, from the comments this seems to be much more about a divorce than any roster shuffling.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Doesnt matter to me whom we get back or from where. Less term/Less money is all that I care about. Even then, Id rather the spot be open for another kid to play. Ideally.

Eakins healthy scratched Des from the fourth line and said that Des didn't deserve it, but youth Jones needed ice time too. Jones can move back up into the top-9 or Milano can also move up into that wing spot. Des comes back into the fold with the 4th line again. That's two players, if Milano is healthy, that are vying for one spot. Plus, we have hustlers in the AHL with Carrick and De Leo.

I think the vast improvement of Lundestrom at center as well as Backes showing he can still play probably helps to cut away from Rico. I thought we were trying to jump start Rico so that we can put him back at center again because we need centers going forward after this year if Getz doesn't return. If Rico does get picked up on waivers, then the Ducks get $5.8 mil off the books going into next year. That's a lot of money open when combined with Perry's drop in buyout ($4.625 mil) and moving on from Backes' contract ($4.5 mil).

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
In theory, there is exactly one lineup(assuming no other major changes) that you likely need Henrique off the 23-man roster where Milano or someone else off the Gulls, Jones and Backes all play. It's also technically still doable then but makes less sense.

But yeah, from the comments this seems to be much more about a divorce than any roster shuffling.
With players on LTIR we can also go above 23 man roster too. We have roster and cap space.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

I was thinking more that they wanted to carry two extra forwards and didn’t want to risk losing someone like Milano to waivers when he’s back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->