Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Why not just have him in the AHL so he can play?

Yeah I don't think anyone like Comtois will be on the taxi squad. De Leo seems like a prime candidate for that, Backes too but that depends. There could also be signings to fill those spots, have to see how it plays out. Probably too little AHL depth to just borrow a couple forwards, they probably need a couple more as it is.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Why not just have him in the AHL so he can play?

When does the AHL season start?

Edit: Feb 5th. We should have a solid taxi squad until then, granted it doesn't get pushed back further. I'm assuming taxi squad players can be maneuvered in/out?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
When does the AHL season start?

Edit: Feb 5th. We should have a solid taxi squad until then, granted it doesn't get pushed back further. I'm assuming taxi squad players can be maneuvered in/out?
I believe players can be swapped in and out of the taxi squad but non injury related moves must be approved.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Update from BM on Drysdale, Tracey, and Perreault

On Drysdale and the options of him and others if the Canadian major junior leagues don’t start or resume play as they anticipate.
“Those are some of these things that you talk about. Balls still up in the air. Those are things we have asked a lot about. He’s got those too. I’ve got (Jacob) Perreault here. I’ve got (Brayden) Tracey here. Ontario, Western leagues. Who knows when they’re going to play? And what are we allowed to do? Does it affect their status on the reserve list? Again, these are all things that are part of that big puzzle.
“Lots we can be doing with Jamie and Jacob and Brayden. Lots we can do here. We can get them into some American League games safely. And that’s our intention. That hasn’t totally been figured out yet. But it’s something the league is very aware of, let’s put it that way. It could shove their development ahead a little bit here with that league. That’s right in the list of things that are very important to me obviously.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU

On Drysdale and the options of him and others if the Canadian major junior leagues don’t start or resume play as they anticipate.
“Those are some of these things that you talk about. Balls still up in the air. Those are things we have asked a lot about. He’s got those too. I’ve got (Jacob) Perreault here. I’ve got (Brayden) Tracey here. Ontario, Western leagues. Who knows when they’re going to play? And what are we allowed to do? Does it affect their status on the reserve list? Again, these are all things that are part of that big puzzle.
“Lots we can be doing with Jamie and Jacob and Brayden. Lots we can do here. We can get them into some American League games safely. And that’s our intention. That hasn’t totally been figured out yet. But it’s something the league is very aware of, let’s put it that way. It could shove their development ahead a little bit here with that league. That’s right in the list of things that are very important to me obviously.

I have to think that the nhl would be flexible if junior leagues don’t play and find some way to work with teams to get these kids quality ice time.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I do like how Bob is thinking ahead with the closures of the OHL and WHL as well as seeing how to retain the prospects under the reserves list while being able to play at the AHL. This reminds me of how Bob mandated every Duck player wear a protective shield around their skates and didn't care what the NHL was doing. The NHL and CHL do need to make an exception for this season, especially if the CHL isn't planning on opening up.

As for losing a CHL season, I really wanted to see Tracey develop with Victoria for a season. Victoria is geared to play defense first and forces Tracey to not be a perimeter player. It's a set structure in Victoria. That way it isn't a huge step compared to jumping to the AHL. (Tracey was held back before joining the WHL club and it paid off as he became the WHL rookie of the year, rookie with the most points, rookie with the most goals, and rookie with the most assists along with being selected in the first round of the NHL draft.)

With Jacob, though, being around the NHL and AHL may set a higher bar for him to get on his horse and go, go, go. Perrault's OHL team lacked talent and he wasn't motivated to play a complete game. Maybe playing with more talented players could spark that light to always be on, including when he is sent back down to the CHL. The AHL may be a better environment for Perrault such that it's a professional environment, more talented players around him, and a staff that will report to the GM. That staff has coach Dineen on it and he's already had Sprong last year, which could help both Dineen and Perrault with Perrault's development.

With Jamie, just, "Yes, please." The AHL experience could come in handy if the Ducks make the playoffs this season and Drysdale gives the Ducks added depth on the blue line... because we're the Ducks and we take to injuries like it's water. bleah.

Oct 18, 2011

NHL and Jr leagues need to make an agreement for NHL prospects to be allowed to play in the AHL until atleast they can play major junior

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
This is a random thought but I think this is the most likeable team we've had in a long time. Subtracting Ritchie helps a lot in that department, I suppose, but Shattenkirk and Backes seem like good locker room guys too. It just seems like the players enjoy playing here and with each other (Grant and Miller come to mind). I'm a little concerned though now that Ritchie is gone we will have to find a new whipping boy. I say we all just agree to make it Larsson this year.

Don't get me wrong though, we're still going to suck.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I was thinking a lot about our possible lines

Heinen - Getzlaf - Henrique
Rakell - Steel - Silfverberg
Comtois - Zegras - Terry
Jones - Grant - Milano

Heck, we are really crowdy there :)

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
This is a random thought but I think this is the most likeable team we've had in a long time. Subtracting Ritchie helps a lot in that department, I suppose, but Shattenkirk and Backes seem like good locker room guys too. It just seems like the players enjoy playing here and with each other (Grant and Miller come to mind). I'm a little concerned though now that Ritchie is gone we will have to find a new whipping boy. I say we all just agree to make it Larsson this year.

Don't get me wrong though, we're still going to suck.
If Zegras makes the team I might be a bit more inclined to agree with you, but as it stands I feel the opposite. I don't like the roster as currently constructed at all.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If Zegras makes the team I might be a bit more inclined to agree with you, but as it stands I feel the opposite. I don't like the roster as currently constructed at all.
I think he may have been speaking personality wise. Perry is gone. Ritchie is gone. Outside of Getzlaf we don't have a whole lot of sand in places you don't want type players. We have players who can be physical but not a whole lot of agitators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00