Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
He's definitely going to get his 7 games this year... i really just hope Murray has the self control to not burn a year on a throw away season... but he is too emotional and i can almost guarantee he will play Z too many games. He's the type who would say... "hey Z, ill burn a year on your contract but please play nice when we give you a long term extension"

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
He's definitely going to get his 7 games this year... i really just hope Murray has the self control to not burn a year on a throw away season... but he is too emotional and i can almost guarantee he will play Z too many games. He's the type who would say... "hey Z, ill burn a year on your contract but please play nice when we give you a long term extension"
It also means his extension a year sooner which is less time to establish he deserves more money.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
On a crappy draft year with primarily defensemen... we would probably get hosed at the draft like the Wings did this year and drop from #1 to #5 haha.
#5 next season would be incredible. Not sure what you're talking about crappy draft year I hope you are not talking about the draft coming up....

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Rakell-Henrique-Silfverberg
Zegras-Getzlaf-Heinen
Milano/Comtois/Jones-Steel-Terry
Des-Grant-Rowney

Lindholm-Shattenkirk
Fowler-Manson
Larsson-Djoos

I like the idea of Milano, Comtois, Jones fighting for that spot on the third line. If one has a bad game, send them to the taxi squad and plug in another. Rinse, repeat.

Reactions: dracom

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Rakell-Henrique-Silfverberg (any starts)
Zegras-Getzlaf-Terry (offensive zone starts mostly)
Comtois/Jones-Steel-Heinen (defensive/any zone start)
Des-Grant-Rowney (grinder line)
Milano

Lindholm-Shattenkirk
Fowler-Manson
Larsson-Djoos

Gibson
Miller
Stolarz

I really think Zegras - Getzlaf - Terry would be a TREAT to watch.

Not going to lie this team is gonna suck but will be fun to watch excited for the season to get started. Really hope atleast 2 of Jones, Comtois, Terry, Steel step up their game.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Still laboring under the delusion that Murray fills out the lineup cards?

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
I don’t think we’re going to be as bad as people are saying. We’ve had such brutal luck with injuries the last few years. If guys can stay healthy, Gibson rebounds as I expect he will, and just one of the young guys breaks out for a 45-50 point pace in a reg season, that will make a huge difference and we’ll be competing for the 4th spot

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

*Spoiler - THN predicts us to finish last place

I mean, IMO Shattenkirk alone makes our team better than last year, most of our roster is the same and we still didn't bottom out in the standings. Unless something dramatic happens, IMO we're more likely looking at another bottom-10 finish.

It's certainly one thing to present an opinion, sure, but the tone that these guys have is insufferable, really makes them look like amateurs. I mean come on, this video is the equivalent of 3 random HF posters getting together on the main boards and posting "LOL they suck" over and over again. Although I do think that even they would have the decency to not drag it out for over 7 minutes.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Rakell-Henrique-Silfverberg
Zegras-Getzlaf-Heinen
Milano/Comtois/Jones-Steel-Terry
Des-Grant-Rowney

Lindholm-Shattenkirk
Fowler-Manson
Larsson-Djoos

I like the idea of Milano, Comtois, Jones fighting for that spot on the third line. If one has a bad game, send them to the taxi squad and plug in another. Rinse, repeat.

The only line I agree with is the Rak, Hen, and Silf line. That is a skilled line up

I wouldn't waste Getz with Zegras yet. Gets is a play maker, I'm not sure if Zegras has enough yet at this level to play with Getz line. It is also a waste of Heinen. Heinen can do it all. you don't pair him with a guy like Getz when you need shooters with Getz instead.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
The only line I agree with is the Rak, Hen, and Silf line. That is a skilled line up

I wouldn't waste Getz with Zegras yet. Gets is a play maker, I'm not sure if Zegras has enough yet at this level to play with Getz line. It is also a waste of Heinen. Heinen can do it all. you don't pair him with a guy like Getz when you need shooters with Getz instead.

According to Eric Stephens, Eakins said Getz and Heinen are likely to be paired together so I guess you'll be disappointed.

The reason I think Zegras could be a good fit there is he'll at least be getting sheltered a bit with two somewhat defensively responsible players and still be getting top 6 minutes without disrupting what will likely be the main scoring line in Rakell-Henrique-Silf.

I wouldn't like the idea of plugging Zegras in with Steel-Terry (reports are they're likely to play together) as that would likely lead to that line being fed to the wolves due to the lack of NHL experience.

I also don't see any reason to change the 4th line. They were great last year.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I mean, IMO Shattenkirk alone makes our team better than last year, most of our roster is the same and we still didn't bottom out in the standings. Unless something dramatic happens, IMO we're more likely looking at another bottom-10 finish.

It's certainly one thing to present an opinion, sure, but the tone that these guys have is insufferable, really makes them look like amateurs. I mean come on, this video is the equivalent of 3 random HF posters getting together on the main boards and posting "LOL they suck" over and over again. Although I do think that even they would have the decency to not drag it out for over 7 minutes.

I think Matt was on point with his assessment. If you hear these three guys from a non-Ducks fan perspective, their negatives are true. We are "hoping" that the youth group takes another step this year, but the flip side is that GM Murray used strategy to land these guys to give him a better chance of landing NHL product. In the last two seasons, it appears we landed cornerstones in Zegras and Drysdale. One of the pundits is high on Perrault. Although, that same pundit that liked Perrault also denoted that Heinen and Milano were on the back end of their careers?

Their assessments are mostly correct and their tone lacks professionalism.

We're Duck fans, so some of us are more optimistic with the changes. Before the TDL to today, we've added RHD Shattenkirk, LW Milano, F Heinen, and D Djoos... and F Backes. The two added defensemen alone gives the Ducks much valued depth. That's a vast improvement in that dept to help protect Gibby and the PP. Milano and Heinen gives the Ducks more speed and health, making us more of a 200-ft team.

To start the season last year, we were hot. Then injuries started to show on the blue line and our lack of quality depth on the blue line was exposed. We couldn't recover. But after the TDL and despite losing 3/4th of our top-4 blue liners, the new group played as one unit and defeated some playoff teams. There's also GM Murray being hands off with HC Eakins because he didn't want to give the media the impression that Eakins needs to be babysat dynamic. The future for Zegras could be sooner if he is able to show he's more talented than the rest of our youth group.

We're in a new division and play 56 games against our own new division, brought to you by Carl's Jr. I did a breakdown on how we did against teams in our new division. We were 10-10-3 in 23 games last year against our new divisional foes, brought to you by Carl's Jr. And that's with missing our top defenders for most of the season. IMO, these few tweaks can help us win the 4th playoff spot in our new division, brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Oct 18, 2011
I think he has at least earned a taste of the NHL. Also agree should be right when the season starts since he is in game shape. It will be up to him to see if he remains in the NHL. If you want to really try and go crazy throw a line of Zegras - Getz - Silf. Yeah I get the whole where is the shutdown line, but we need offense badly.
ideally you want him to play with the Gulls for an extended period, at the same time we don't want him sitting around after seemingly playing himself into game shape a few games early probably wont hurt him the main thing for me is you position him to succeed I think, by playing him when most of the league is probably a step behind where they would normally be

Oct 18, 2011
I don’t think we’re going to be as bad as people are saying. We’ve had such brutal luck with injuries the last few years. If guys can stay healthy, Gibson rebounds as I expect he will, and just one of the young guys breaks out for a 45-50 point pace in a reg season, that will make a huge difference and we’ll be competing for the 4th spot
one young guy turning into a 50 point scorer wont make this team good, you will need atleast 3 of them to make any sort of real jump

JohnnyDrama

Oct 4, 2017
one young guy turning into a 50 point scorer wont make this team good, you will need atleast 3 of them to make any sort of real jump
One guy making a jump combined with less injuries and good goaltending will make us at least competitive in a shit division, didn’t mean we’d be contenders. I know a lot of people don’t like that train of thought and would rather tank than squeeze in but I’m always cheering for playoffs

Last edited:
Reactions: DavidBL

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The division is not exactly a shit division. It’s average. Very good top 4 teams, terrible bottom 4

if the ducks finish better than bottom 10 this year I’d be very shocked

Oct 18, 2011
The division is not exactly a shit division. It’s average. Very good top 4 teams, terrible bottom 4

if the ducks finish better than bottom 10 this year I’d be very shocked
Just about every power ranking and projection I've seen has us as a bottom 5 team.

There are very few teams that's roster are worse at this time...now if some of these young guys step up that can change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad