Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Got to say I'm a bit worried about a Lindholm Shattenkirk pairing with the sort of matchups that Hampus usually takes. He looked good in Tampa because they knew to put him in optimal situations and didn't rely on him heavily to actually defend.

Excited to see what the kids can do - especially if Zegras spends any time up with the club

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Got to say I'm a bit worried about a Lindholm Shattenkirk pairing with the sort of matchups that Hampus usually takes. He looked good in Tampa because they knew to put him in optimal situations and didn't rely on him heavily to actually defend.

Excited to see what the kids can do - especially if Zegras spends any time up with the club

Not sure why Eakins would not go with a Fowler - Shattenkirk pair. They have played together against tough competition in the past, and looked good. It also would give Shatty the lesser matchups which is who he should be playing against.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Imo, I think DE wants to get away from pairings designed for specific roles. IE no defensive pairing and not offensive pairing but 3 balanced pairings.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not sure why Eakins would not go with a Fowler - Shattenkirk pair. They have played together against tough competition in the past, and looked good. It also would give Shatty the lesser matchups which is who he should be playing against.

Maybe Eakins just wants to try things out for the time being. He already knows what he has in Lindholm-Manson. So why not try it out during camp? We put Jones with Getz and Heinen for camp. It's good to test things out.

I think Lindholm can do well with a defensive d-man to carry with him on the top pairing. Shattenkirk averaged closed to 19 minutes ATOI and Lindholm average 23 min ATOI last year, but Lindholm was often sent out against opposing team's #1 offense. I dunno if that is Shattenkirk's game, though.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe Eakins just wants to try things out for the time being. He already knows what he has in Lindholm-Manson. So why not try it out during camp? We put Jones with Getz and Heinen for camp. It's good to test things out.

I think Lindholm can do well with a defensive d-man to carry with him on the top pairing. Shattenkirk averaged closed to 19 minutes ATOI and Lindholm average 23 min ATOI last year, but Lindholm was often sent out against opposing team's #1 offense. I dunno if that is Shattenkirk's game, though.

Giving Shattenkirk top mins on a top pairing is not utilizing him correctly. I’ve seen it in NY. He should be reserved for lesser matchups like other teams 2nd or 3rd lines, and should not be used as a top shutdown D.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Giving Shattenkirk top mins on a top pairing is not utilizing him correctly. I’ve seen it in NY. He should be reserved for lesser matchups like other teams 2nd or 3rd lines, and should not be used as a top shutdown D.

I'm not advocating for a Lindholm-Shattenkirk top line. I'm just pointing out Eakins might be testing things out like I don't believe Jones will be on the same line with Getz-Heinen, but Jones is there for training camp. I shared the ATOI's to show that Lindholm is playing top pairing D minutes and Shattenkirk is playing a lesser role. But Eakins wants to do what he wants to do for training camp. I only hope it's only for training camp because I don't want to ever separate Lindholm-Manson. heh

I know Fowler has been cycling to find a proper defenseman that has very good chemistry with him and I think we finally have him in our organization. Although, I don't know if Drysdale is ready for the NHL today. Drysdale will keep Fowler on the left side and babysit Fowler when he goes all offensive a la Byram. A Fowler-Shattenkirk playing the 2nd pairing still has that potential offensive dynamic. I kinda like that b/c I think that's what we tried out last year with Guhle-Fowler. Shattenkirk is a better talent than Guhle and keeps Fowler on the left side.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Good point. But also IIRC Shatty was THE guy on that defence. On our defence he is just #3 or #4 depending on how to look at it. And he would clearly have to just support Lindholm on that pair instead of being the cornerstone.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
According to Bob Mckenzie, since the Ducks/Kings players will be flying a private charter from the edm bubble today, they will not need to be quarantined for 7 days. They can join the Ducks camp
Awesome.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
According to Bob Mckenzie, since the Ducks/Kings players will be flying a private charter from the edm bubble, he doesn't think they will need to be quarantined for 7 days. And thinks they can join the Ducks camp

8F4FD645-B4E7-4630-8CFD-3ADF439E19C0.gif

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras vs Drysdale battles in training camp will be fun.

MCB

Jun 21, 2019
I'm assuming they will fly to Cali tomorrow? And hopefully join the Ducks after a negative covid test
From what I understand they had a private charter with the kings prospects, this allowing them to just be tested and skip the quarantine. Not sure when the flight was, but I'd assume they'd want them to go straight from the bubble to here asap.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
From what I understand they had a private charter with the kings prospects, this allowing them to just be tested and skip the quarantine. Not sure when the flight was, but I'd assume they'd want them to go straight from the bubble to here asap.
I think I read that they left last night.

Oct 18, 2011
My feeling on Zegras today is if you're thinking of playing him do it early. Hes in game shape there's gonna be alot of sloppy play to begin the season it might position him for some success. In a normal year I would want him in the AHL but it's not a normal year and we will have to try different things.

Shelter him with Getzlaf and Heinen and go from there. He did exactly what Bob wanted him to do and then some the season is a week away so things are gonna be interesting here

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My feeling on Zegras today is if you're thinking of playing him do it early. Hes in game shape there's gonna be alot of sloppy play to begin the season it might position him for some success. In a normal year I would want him in the AHL but it's not a normal year and we will have to try different things.

Shelter him with Getzlaf and Heinen and go from there. He did exactly what Bob wanted him to do and then some the season is a week away so things are gonna be interesting here

I think he has at least earned a taste of the NHL. Also agree should be right when the season starts since he is in game shape. It will be up to him to see if he remains in the NHL. If you want to really try and go crazy throw a line of Zegras - Getz - Silf. Yeah I get the whole where is the shutdown line, but we need offense badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad