Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Our offense is do bad, any player who can get at or around a .50 PPG on this team would be like a .70 PPG or more on most other teams. Watching this Boston and Flyers game, it’s sure nice to see goals. Both my teams cannot score. So depressing. Lol.

Yeah so true about the offensive output. Dustin Brown of all players is playing at a PPG pace and there’s no way he’s a better player than Silfverberg, Getzlaf or Rakell. He just plays with other guys who can get him the puck and who can put it in the net when he gives it to them.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
What is peoples opinion on the team playing expansion draft roulette(exposing veterans to the expansion draft) with the following players assuming they don't trade any of them:
Henrique, Fowler, Manson, Silfverberg.
Losing 1 of those 4 veterans allows them extra cap space to sign Barkov
Ducks can only lose 1 player and its a roulette on which one Seattle picks if any.

Doing it allows 4 extra protection spots to younger players and should they lose 1 of those veterans its only 1 hole to fill.
This allows the team to preserve more depth and cheap assets like Mahura, Jones, Milano, Larsson who still have potential.
Its not like Fowler suddenly is gonna have a cannon of shot with Seattle.

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
What is peoples opinion on the team playing expansion draft roulette(exposing veterans to the expansion draft) with the following players assuming they don't trade any of them:
Henrique, Fowler, Manson, Silfverberg.
Losing 1 of those 4 veterans allows them extra cap space to sign Barkov
Ducks can only lose 1 player and its a roulette on which one Seattle picks if any.

Doing it allows 4 extra protection spots to younger players and should they lose 1 of those veterans its only 1 hole to fill.
This allows the team to preserve more depth and cheap assets like Mahura, Jones, Milano, Larsson who still have potential.
Its not like Fowler suddenly is gonna have a cannon of shot with Seattle.
Seattle would say thank you and pick Fowler. As things stand right now, I wouldn't protect Larsson or Mahura over him and would also trade him rather than expose him if it comes to that. I do agree with your sentiment about exposing some other veterans, though.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah so true about the offensive output. Dustin Brown of all players is playing at a PPG pace and there’s no way he’s a better player than Silfverberg, Getzlaf or Rakell. He just plays with other guys who can get him the puck and who can put it in the net when he gives it to them.

This is why a lot of Rangers fans dislike Strome. Panarin makes him look like a Top end 2c and he really isn’t. Ducks could use some bread. lol.

Reactions: Paul4587

Quackattack

Feb 2, 2019
I’m going to operate on the less cynical strategy and assume the team has a plan. Not that I agree with the plan. But if I’m Bob, I am thinking this year = tank + develop. Players should show some improvement between now and end of season. Next year = Compete for playoff spot. Salaries come off the books and money is freed up. Hopefully new players “coming up” converges with FA talent that is sorely needed. Year after = Compete for division / cup (I.e., window). We end up at the center of Gib-prime (assuming we haven’t yet killed him), with one more year of young development and a better idea of holes that arrive then.

Given this, I think he sees Henrique is not a veteran that fits the plan. Is “old Silf” a good enough defensive piece to fit into that new scheme? Bald is likely retired or 3C at that point.

All decisions need to be made with that sequence in mind. Fowler/Lindholm should be part of that plan. I think Larsson is 100% expandable at this point probably. Any other vet can probably go too.

We have been in limbo for three years and it is frustrating. The chickens came to roost from “the good years.” We’ll see how this goes!

Reactions: robbieboy3686

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
According to both the Ducks website and CapFriendly, Milano is listed on IR. Not sure if he re-injured himself or they just don't want to put him on the active roster yet.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I’m an old guy
Been a fan my whole life, played some junior hockey at a meh level. But I’ve been around the game my whole life. Doesn’t mean I know a lot, but I was lucky to be around the game a lot.

to me, BM did a very nice job after Burke left, and we had a pretty good run. But it always felt like we were chasing the curve and reactive. We were a tough team to play against had good goaltending and guys played to their roles
Then we made adjustments to “get better” reacting to our losses.

but there have been a lot of bad contracts and while admittedly no expert, I really cannot see any system or plan going forward.
manson, Silfv, even Rakell have lost value . Henrique looks like another.

we are really bad and starting to loook like we have a tone of middle six guys with bad contracts and kids other the Zegras and Drysdale that look like nice pieces but nothing crazy.

BM seems to be punching from back foot all the time these days and we could be in for a long lousy run

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
According to both the Ducks website and CapFriendly, Milano is listed on IR. Not sure if he re-injured himself or they just don't want to put him on the active roster yet.

I’m thinking Milano has some post-concussion stuff going on. This all started with a cross check to the head, correct?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Milano Getzlaf Zegras
Rakell Lundestrom Comtois
Silf Henrique Terry
Whoever is playing best

Reactions: DuckRogers10

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I’m an old guy
Been a fan my whole life, played some junior hockey at a meh level. But I’ve been around the game my whole life. Doesn’t mean I know a lot, but I was lucky to be around the game a lot.

to me, BM did a very nice job after Burke left, and we had a pretty good run. But it always felt like we were chasing the curve and reactive. We were a tough team to play against had good goaltending and guys played to their roles
Then we made adjustments to “get better” reacting to our losses.

but there have been a lot of bad contracts and while admittedly no expert, I really cannot see any system or plan going forward.
manson, Silfv, even Rakell have lost value . Henrique looks like another.

we are really bad and starting to loook like we have a tone of middle six guys with bad contracts and kids other the Zegras and Drysdale that look like nice pieces but nothing crazy.

BM seems to be punching from back foot all the time these days and we could be in for a long lousy run

You are correct, Murray did a good job keeping the Ducks competitive after the Burke years. Now he is refusing to do a full rebuild or Samueli won’t let him.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Grant is not what he used to be. Backes have looked much better than him in my opinion.
Rowney being out sucks, he is a decent and a consistent 4th liner.

Ya I feel like giving any contract over 2 years to veteran bottom 6 players is just a mistake. Grant was doing great on 1 year contracts.
Especially when they already have 4 players who can play the same 4th line role.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
I think this team is a lot further away than we want to contemplate. Once in a lifetime you can be the Blues from two seasons ago and ride some hot hands, but usually if you want to win a Cup, you need multiple top-tier talents. You need Selanne and Getzlaf and Niedermayer and Pronger all at the same time.

Right now we have zero skaters on that level. (I won't argue if someone wants to say Gibson, but I have my doubts). Zegras and Drysdale have that kind of potential, but they definitely aren't sure things.

Whatever the process ends up being that gets this team back to an elite level, I'm not even sure it's started yet.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I think this team is a lot further away than we want to contemplate. Once in a lifetime you can be the Blues from two seasons ago and ride some hot hands, but usually if you want to win a Cup, you need multiple top-tier talents. You need Selanne and Getzlaf and Niedermayer and Pronger all at the same time.

Right now we have zero skaters on that level. (I won't argue if someone wants to say Gibson, but I have my doubts). Zegras and Drysdale have that kind of potential, but they definitely aren't sure things.

Whatever the process ends up being that gets this team back to an elite level, I'm not even sure it's started yet.
The Blues didn’t have multiple top tier talents? What were Pietrangelo, Tarasenlo, and even O’Reilly?

I agree with your thesis mostly though. We need to build a core of at least a few star players. Not sure how they will be acquired but it’s gonna be tough sledding until we find those guys

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Rakell/Comtois Getzlaf Zegras
Rakell/Comtois Lundestrom Silfverberg
Jones Steel Terry
Deslauriers/Milano/Heinen Grant/Backes Rowney

Assuming Rowney is healthy, if not throw Heinen at RW permanently there. Mix Henrique into the top 9 when there are injuries or if someone needs a scratch to wake them up.

Last edited:

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
A fourth line with Heinen-Henrique-Backes/Milano would at least be an attempt to squeeze as much offense as we can. The fourth line was great for the the first couple weeks and has been weak since.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I am sure Henrique will be back sooner rather than later.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Lundestrom-Getzlaf-Terry
Rakell-Zegras-Heinen
Comtois-Steel-Silverberg
Jones-Henrique-Milano

Gives us 4 lines that should theoretically be able to create offense and gives Zegras a look at Center.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Manson and Lindholm both skating with the team today, what are we going to do with the defense?

Fowler-Hank
Lindholm-shattenkirk
Hutton-Manson

I'd love to just put shattenkirk on the third pairing, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
There’s also no spot for Guhle who will be returning from a conditioning stint soon. I guess they will try to sneak him through waivers to keep him with the Gulls.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Manson and Lindholm both skating with the team today, what are we going to do with the defense?

Fowler-Hank
Lindholm-shattenkirk
Hutton-Manson

I'd love to just put shattenkirk on the third pairing, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Actually I don't know. The top four from the start of the season was before Hawk broke out so its tough to say how Eakins works Manson back in, and especially if Larsson stays in the lineup over Hutton it makes sense to spread the more physical types. Giving Shattenkirk some easier minutes might also be seen as a way to get him going a bit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad