Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 18, 2011
I would like to see Mahura stay in the lineup, but maybe that's not possible until we can trade Manson(Please Bob enough is enough stop clinging to him)

Reactions: DuckRogers10

sasha barkov

Nov 4, 2016
Wonder if having a line of Zegras-Henrique-Comtois could get rico going. I really want to see Z and Comtois play and Henrique I feel could be a good fit in between

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Manson and Lindholm both skating with the team today, what are we going to do with the defense?

Fowler-Hank
Lindholm-shattenkirk
Hutton-Manson

I'd love to just put shattenkirk on the third pairing, but we all know that isn't going to happen.

Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Hakanpaa
Hutton - Drysdale

Shoot Shattenkirk to the moon.

Reactions: Trojans86

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Hawk has slowed down since a hot start but he is the least of our worries right now.

Reactions: Paul4587

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Hakanpaa
Hutton - Drysdale

Well, hello there. Unlikely but I'd welcome it in a pinch, although I'd like to see the organization find out what they have in Benoit at the NHL level at some point.

No argument with the end of the post though.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Oct 18, 2011
Lindholm - Manson
Fowler - Hakanpaa
Hutton - Drysdale

I am not opposed to JD getting his feet wet at the end of the year, but not in the middle of this mess. I don't know how the OHL season is gonna play out though so he might not get the chance

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Hawk has slowed down since a hot start but he is the least of our worries right now.

I haven't seen a slow down of his game. Actually, he's regularly pinching down more on offense smartly. Losing Lindholm, it means he's shouldering a lot of the harder competition as well as dishing out hits. Right now, he's our default #1. Fowler is the most talented D we have left, but he's still too finesse and passive. Getting flashbacks of last year of losing Manson first for a long time and then Lindholm. For some reason, Shattenkirk remains healthy through it all so far, with the most minutes. Crazy.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Jones-Getzlaf-Backes
Zegras-Steel-Silfverberg
Comtois-Lundestrom-Rakell
Heinen-Grant-Terry

Backes' tempo matches that of Getzlaf and he's been pretty solid. I really think there's a good chance they would mesh well. Jones' backchecking and defensive responsibility has really come on this year, and we all know he's like a bull in a china shop on the forecheck and around the net.

Status quo on 2nd and 3rd lines from last game.

4th line needs a new look and with Rowney probably out for a while, this is a good opportunity to experiment with a more skilled approach that should have a better chance at contributing offense.

This is all assuming Henrique is still in the doghouse and I haven't been lead to believe otherwise.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Terry has been one of our best wingers (not saying much) and you want him on the 4th line? AngelDuck is right just trade him so he can be the next Palmieri/Karlsson.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Terry has been one of our best wingers (not saying much) and you want him on the 4th line? AngelDuck is right just trade him so he can be the next Palmieri/Karlsson.

This isn't Carlyle's 4th line I'm talking about. I didn't purpose Terry on the supposed 4th line expecting him to play 8 minutes a night. Eakins has spread the ice time pretty evenly among the entire forward group.

I'm looking at it from a perspective of figuring out what players might have the best chance at developing chemistry.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
You might as well trade him if you’re going to punt Terry to the 4th line

You're kidding yourself if you didn't realize he's already getting 4th line minutes this year. The only forward to average less ice time on this team is Deslauriers.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You're kidding yourself if you didn't realize he's already getting 4th line minutes this year. The only forward to average less ice time on this team is Deslauriers.
It isn’t about minutes, it’s about linemates. Burying him with Grinders like Heinen and Grant isn’t going to help him or the Ducks dude. One of his biggest problems this season is that he’s a playmaker and needs goal scorers to pass the puck to but no one can finish. Moving him onto a line with grinders only makes it worse.

Eakins should try him with Rakell or Comtois

I firmly believe Troy Terry would have 8-10 assists already this year on a better offensive team with adequate goal scorers

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
It isn’t about minutes, it’s about linemates. Burying him with Grinders like Heinen and Grant isn’t going to help him or the Ducks dude. One of his biggest problems this season is that he’s a playmaker and needs goal scorers to pass the puck to but no one can finish. Moving him onto a line with grinders only makes it worse.

Eakins should try him with Rakell or Comtois

I firmly believe Troy Terry would have 8-10 assists already this year on a better offensive team with adequate goal scorers

I don't see this at all. Heinen is a solid two way player with some offensive upside, similar to Silfverberg but I would say less physical and with more footspeed. I could absolutely see Terry working with Heinen and having Grant dig pucks out of the corner for them.

Not every line has to be made up with the same type of player. The trick is to find combinations that compliment each other and cover for each others' weaknesses. That's part of the idea of chemistry.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Jones-Getzlaf-Backes
Zegras-Steel-Silfverberg
Heinen-Grant-Terry

You might as well trade him if you’re going to punt Terry to the 4th line

Upon extra time thinking about, that fourth line isn't a traditional 4th line. That looks like the makeup of an energy 3rd line. Grant isn't your stereotypical 4th line center. We've used him as a 1C before. He's got some offensive talent. Heinen is a middle-6 winger who plays good defense, skates well, and has some sniping capabilities. Terry would be the playmaker. It might be an odd combination, but it also a sheltered one for Terry as well. Grant likes to score goals and Heinen likes to shoot at the net. That actually might work for chemistry having two defensive players who like to shoot with Terry. LoL

I'm still not sold on Steel just yet. He's shown improvements, but not really enough. His play is similar to this year's Rico's, but Steel is younger and on a rookie contract. You're wanting for more.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Jones-Getzlaf-Backes
Zegras-Steel-Silfverberg
Heinen-Grant-Terry

Backes' tempo matches that of Getzlaf and he's been pretty solid. I really think there's a good chance they would mesh well. Jones' backchecking and defensive responsibility has really come on this year, and we all know he's like a bull in a china shop on the forecheck and around the net.

Status quo on 2nd and 3rd lines from last game.

4th line needs a new look and with Rowney probably out for a while, this is a good opportunity to experiment with a more skilled approach that should have a better chance at contributing offense.

This is all assuming Henrique is still in the doghouse and I haven't been lead to believe otherwise.

That 4th line might be better with one or two of Henrique (depending on if he's got his head on straight after the waive) and/or Milano.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don't see this at all. Heinen is a solid two way player with some offensive upside, similar to Silfverberg but I would say less physical and with more footspeed. I could absolutely see Terry working with Heinen and having Grant dig pucks out of the corner for them.

Not every line has to be made up with the same type of player. The trick is to find combinations that compliment each other and cover for each others' weaknesses. That's part of the idea of chemistry.
Agree to disagree on Heinen. His absolute maximum is a 2nd/3rd line tweener that gives you 15 goals and 35-40 points. Not a bad player at all but definitely not someone you want with a player you’re trying to develop into a playmaking winger

and Grant is an ultimate grinder that would rather dump picks in and play on the boards than make direct passes. That isn’t going to work with Terry to me

I understand what you’re saying about chemistry but at the end of the day the player Terry will find the most chemistry with in his career will most likely be a guy who can bury his setups. That player isn’t Danton Heinen or Derek Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad