Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
With Milano due back a Zegras callup would probably require some kind of roster moves. Maybe it's as simple as Rico to the taxi squad, or maybe there's more to it than that.

Also a bit interesting Nielsen is also on waivers, he's another guy unlikely to be claimed and with a NTC.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
I honestly see nothing wrong with giving him a few games. As long as he doesn't burn a year, I think getting his feet wet will make him work harder. And if he shines, good news for the Ducks

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

He’s certainly tearing it up had a great game last night but I want them to clean things up in Anaheim. Get rid of the players who don’t care anymore and let him still develop his game down there.

Still a line of say Zegras - Getzlaf- Rakell really excites me. Think Comtois has played well enough to separate from Rakell and will still be dangerous.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
As would I. The only guy whose really exceeded expectations has been Comtois (who could easily go through one of his cold spells at any point). Lundestrom has improved quite a bit but even he’s not exactly lighting the league on fire.
I think Rowney, Backes, Grant and Deslauriers have been more than acceptable in their play. Granted, it’s telling when it’s the 4th line that you’re saying it doing a good job.

Reactions: Hey234

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
What are the Chances Henrique gets bought out? or do the ducks hope to keep him as insurance?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Rowney, Backes, Grant and Deslauriers have been more than acceptable in their play. Granted, it’s telling when it’s the 4th line that you’re saying it doing a good job.

IMO, 4th line, Rakell, Comtois , Lindholm, and Gibson have met or exceeded expectations. Imo. Everyone else has been up and down or struggled for longer periods of time.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
I remember Rico being super streaky so it could be a good waiiver pickup for another team, if he didn't have that contract

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
He’s certainly tearing it up had a great game last night but I want them to clean things up in Anaheim. Get rid of the players who don’t care anymore and let him still develop his game down there.

Still a line of say Zegras - Getzlaf- Rakell really excites me. Think Comtois has played well enough to separate from Rakell and will still be dangerous.

Ya let’s bring up the future of the Ducks offense to this dumpster fire where he can be turned into a grinder.

Reactions: McDonald19

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Ya let’s bring up the future of the Ducks offense to this dumpster fire where he can be turned into a grinder.
If a cup of coffee hurts his development, he was screwed to begin with. I certainly don't want him to stay up the rest of the season if he's not completely lighting it up, but no one should be concerned about a few game callup

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
The Ducks problems are really obvious. Yes, more talent and being able to finish would help. But I'm not sure bringing up this guy or that guy is really going to change anything.

The Ducks can't or are unable to go to the middle and they are unable to prevent the opposing team from getting there. That has been an issue for a while and I'm not sure we can do anything about it. We are a team of tweeners. We aren't a team that is fast and highly skilled and we aren't a team that is big and tough. And I don't see anyone coming up who can change the overall identity of this team. Identity is probably not a good word as I don't think this team has an identity.

Comtois is the only Duck I see willing to go in front of the net. The rest of the team will skate through and then shoot from outside of the dots. We play from the boards. If I had a nickle for every pass to the crease and no one is there I'd be posting from Newport Coast. And when one of the Ducks happens to get the puck in that area it's deer in the headlights.

When we turn over the puck in defensive zone the middle is always wide open. Even more so we have no ability to stop a team from getting to the slot.

I have no solution as this has been years in the making. After 2017 we stopped being the Ducks. And while Perry was hurt, even he had no desire to mix it up. When we look to a 36 year old David Backes for toughness, we have problems.

John

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Would Rico be sent down to the AHL to find his game? If he's on the taxi squad, then he's not doing anything to show his game is improving. Let's see if Rico can dominate the AHL if Rico truly wants to fight through adversity.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This team is what the oilers fans must have felt like all those years before mcdavid.

Reactions: Paul4587

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
The Ducks problems are really obvious. Yes, more talent and being able to finish would help. But I'm not sure bringing up this guy or that guy is really going to change anything.

The Ducks can't or are unable to go to the middle and they are unable to prevent the opposing team from getting there. That has been an issue for a while and I'm not sure we can do anything about it. We are a team of tweeners. We aren't a team that is fast and highly skilled and we aren't a team that is big and tough. And I don't see anyone coming up who can change the overall identity of this team. Identity is probably not a good word as I don't think this team has an identity.

Comtois is the only Duck I see willing to go in front of the net. The rest of the team will skate through and then shoot from outside of the dots. We play from the boards. If I had a nickle for every pass to the crease and no one is there I'd be posting from Newport Coast. And when one of the Ducks happens to get the puck in that area it's deer in the headlights.

When we turn over the puck in defensive zone the middle is always wide open. Even more so we have no ability to stop a team from getting to the slot.

I have no solution as this has been years in the making. After 2017 we stopped being the Ducks. And while Perry was hurt, even he had no desire to mix it up. When we look to a 36 year old David Backes for toughness, we have problems.

John

We're a mostly perimeter team and probably a huge factor in scoring at ES and on the PP. Yet, at ES gameplay, our problem is lack of consistency in skating/drive/motivation. In these games so far, we've shown the capacity to play piss poor and play with high intensity against top teams. If our players are able to show that ability to play at a high level, then why aren't they playing at a high level? I think it's on the coaching. I don't mind losing if we're giving 100% in the loss, which we've seen a few times this year. But we've been losing like meh recently.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
What are the Chances Henrique gets bought out? or do the ducks hope to keep him as insurance?

No reason to buy him out, this is likely nothing more just the GM’s weak attempt to “send a message” because he’s too scared of making an actual move

Knowing the ducks, buyout seems unlikely unless he has at least one more year of decline. Hard to say if Henrique's decline is related to injury (COVID?), conditioning (which has been my thought), or attitude. Henrique is expansion eligible (minimum games played), so having him around is not the worst thing. And maybe Seattle takes him if the ducks add.

Not defending Murray on the whole, but it sure seems like this is much more than a "weak attempt." It is a pretty big message AND gives the ducks additional roster flexibility to bring up players like Zegras. Whether it works or not - in terms of motivating the team - is fair to question. But it was the right thing to do if it means they can put Henrique on the taxi squad and play someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad