Speculation: 2021 Roster Discussion Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If a cup of coffee hurts his development, he was screwed to begin with. I certainly don't want him to stay up the rest of the season if he's not completely lighting it up, but no one should be concerned about a few game callup

Then what is the point?
If he struggles then they send him down. He would have been better off staying in the AHL.
If he doesn’t struggle they they don’t send him down and then he stays up which we both agree is not best for his development.

Reactions: McDonald19

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
How did Mahura look out there? I saw he got a point but I did not saw the game.

I think Mahura was really good with the Gulls, and I think Drysdale was somewhat comparable. Perhaps it could serve as a projection of how Drysdale could look in the NHL right now.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
If milano and zegras draw in, then my guesses on who comes out would probably be dels and heinen. Henrique has a hill to climb to get back in the lineup if we are pivoting toward the kids.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
upload_2021-2-21_12-51-25.png

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
zegras should stay in the AHL

there's no reason to rush his development with his bad this team is. the last thing he needs is to be stuck with shitty linemates, which would kill his confidence

I think he's too determined to succeed for it to kill his confidence, but I agree that he should stay in the AHL. Maybe get a few against another train wreck team (LA?) just to see the speed/strength/system difference towards the end of the season. He seems like a kid that if he knows what his weakness/what to work on, he'll spend his time developing that (last year, it was his shot and that looks improved).

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
zegras should stay in the AHL

there's no reason to rush his development with his bad this team is. the last thing he needs is to be stuck with shitty linemates, which would kill his confidence

Bob throwing Z out to the wolves, same thing he did with Ritchie. It's like he's learned NOTHING during the last few years.

NHL team sucks, shiny new prospect, high draft pick, first year pro, PPG in San Diego, called up based on a sample size of less than 20 games. One can only hope that this time, the difference is that Z escapes the experience with no damage done to his development.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
It's always nice for a top prospect to get a couple games so that they can feel the speed of an NHL game, so that they know how much and where they need to improve in order to play at that level. If you play a game and feel behind on every play, you know you will need to speed yourself up at the AHL level. Can't base ur game on the AHL level all the time. Hopefully drysdale gets 1 or 2 games this season as well.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Steel and Silf as his linemates.... Really. Silf hasn't done shit and Steel should be in AHL. Oh well hope he doesn't stay in NHL for more than a couple games.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Bob throwing Z out to the wolves, same thing he did with Ritchie. It's like he's learned NOTHING during the last few years.

NHL team sucks, shiny new prospect, high draft pick, first year pro, PPG in San Diego, called up based on a sample size of less than 20 games. One can only hope that this time, the difference is that Z escapes the experience with no damage done to his development.
I'm beyond done with Bob at this point, but can we please wait until we see how his call up goes before people jump to these conclusions? If he's pointless after 7 games and looking overwhelmed and not being sent down, sure, I would agree with you, but as of right now we have absolutely no idea how he'll perform at the NHL level, and how long management plans on leaving him up there.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Well I don't like it and feel like we're rushing him into a bad situation but the fan in me is pretty damn excited
Exactly how I feel. I wasn't even going to watch next game tbh.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl

Nick Ritchie is killing it with Boston and should have never been traded especially for a mediocre useless Heiden
What a waste of a top line power forward
How many more dumb decisions will it take for Murray to get fired

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I'm beyond done with Bob at this point, but can we please wait until we see how his call up goes before people jump to these conclusions? If he's pointless after 7 games and looking overwhelmed and not being sent down, sure, I would agree with you, but as of right now we have absolutely no idea how he'll perform at the NHL level, and how long management plans on leaving him up there.

My problem is not so much the call-up itself, the problem is why he was called up.

I might've been on board with a Z call-up later in the season, when he would've had a bit more AHL games under his belt, assuming that he continued to play as well as he has, of course. That would've been a call-up for developmental reasons, for getting Z adjusted to NHL speed.

This call-up was done purely as a panic move, a continuation to the Rico waiving, likely prompted by the fact that we're dead last in the standings in the West division. The team has been playing garbage hockey, so Bob hopes that Z can step in and be an impact player right away, somehow magically turning a bottom feeder roster into a "competitive" team. That has nothing to do with development, it's a desperate act from a desperate GM, who's trying to save himself by rushing top prospects.

This is a man who's already ruined one top-10 pick. I'd hate to see that happen to another top-10 pick, who is arguably even more talented than the previous one.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Steel and Silf as his linemates.... Really. Silf hasn't done shit and Steel should be in AHL. Oh well hope he doesn't stay in NHL for more than a couple games.

I wouldn’t be throwing him up on the Top line in his first game.
Steel has looked better since being scratched and he started off strong, Silf has been up and down, if this doesn’t get him going not sure what will.

I assume lines...

Milano - Getzlaf - Terry
Comtois - Lundestrom - Rakell
Zegras - Steel - Silfverberg
Des - Grant - Rowney

Heinen, Jones, and Backes out.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010

This stupid strategy goes all the way back to Cam Fowler. They need to develop their prospects like they did with Getzlaf, Perry and Penner. Keep them in the AHL where they can dominate until they show that they don't need more seasoning.

Last edited:

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
He should be afraid to make moves now. He has devalued all his assets by holding onto them for too long

The problem IMO is that Rico and Silf were signed to those gaudy contracts in the first place. And in true Bob fashion, he signed the extensions a full year before the guys were scheduled to hit UFA.

Had Rico and Silf been dealt away as rentals instead, our organization would be much better off today.

Oct 18, 2011
The problem IMO is that Rico and Silf were signed to those gaudy contracts in the first place. And in true Bob fashion, he signed the extensions a full year before the guys were scheduled to hit UFA.

Had Rico and Silf been dealt away as rentals instead, our organization would be much better off today.
I was fine keeping Silf tbh, but Henrique was bad from day one but Bob was clinging to being a fringe playoff team

Reactions: DuckRogers10

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
My problem is not so much the call-up itself, the problem is why he was called up.

I might've been on board with a Z call-up later in the season, when he would've had a bit more AHL games under his belt, assuming that he continued to play as well as he has, of course. That would've been a call-up for developmental reasons, for getting Z adjusted to NHL speed.

This call-up was done purely as a panic move, a continuation to the Rico waiving, likely prompted by the fact that we're dead last in the standings in the West division. The team has been playing garbage hockey, so Bob hopes that Z can step in and be an impact player right away, somehow magically turning a bottom feeder roster into a "competitive" team. That has nothing to do with development, it's a desperate act from a desperate GM, who's trying to save himself by rushing top prospects.

This is a man who's already ruined one top-10 pick. I'd hate to see that happen to another top-10 pick, who is arguably even more talented than the previous one.
Agree with you about the reasons, I just think it's a bit ridiculous to act like this is something that will end up hurting his development in any way, until it actually gets to that point.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ritchie's increased production in Boston is at the very least concerning at the moment. We will have to see if it continues, but right now it further makes me wonder about Anaheim's ability to develop and deploy forward talent.

Yeah not concerned. I mean look at Boston`s Top 6. I’d take Pasta and the Rat any day of the week to add to this Ducks abysmal offense.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
When a worldly talent like zegras, is tearing it up, you give him his shot. You don’t risk him being pissed off at the organization for not giving him a shot ( like others in his draft class have gotten )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad