2021 QMJHL Draft

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
For the most part absolutely, you are bang on with most of those guys there, I respectfully have to disagree with a few of those and im not sure if you have seen those kids play this year or are kind of just basing it off of word of mouth. I don't want to get to involved in it as its so early, but I think this draft class is going to grow over the next year to being a VERY talented and decently deep draft class ... Those forwards hard to argue maybe add Luke Patterson from moncton. On defence I have Nathan Mossey on that list. Goaltenders I like, don't let richardson numbers worry you. Max Sentner is a lost cause IMO, his off ice issues are too much.

I Like the list though, good job!

Solid list, a couple of interesting picks....you have one forward who has played less then 15 games and omitted 2 that have over 120 pts between them if you include Monctonian and Ice Jam (Patterson /Burbidge). Still not sold on the PEI forwards due to the weakness of their league league...and I have seen them less then impressive off the Island vs good Teams. Broken record on Martin...but he played Midget Flyers last weekend in Kensington and was unreal for a Bantam age kid.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Only two I haven’t seen this year are Henderson and Pelletier but they weren’t borderline players so I added them. I also like Mossey and he could easily replace someone, but Patterson to me has to really work on his skating to move ahead. Great head and hands but average foot speed. I don’t know anything about Senter other then he has lots of tools but seems to be having a hard time sticking to a team lol.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
I also like Martin in Moncton but the list of D was 6. He may lose points because he’s not as flashy as the others right now...he may be the best in the end because his game is more complete, we’ll have to wait and see.

Burbidge is good also but he definitely benefits from a run and gun team with lots of firepower. My only question on him, is he more concerned with points or winning? Don’t know him personally but have noticed his team up a goal and he is cheating badly for the freebie. Points points points???

There are several others strong hockey players in the group. I just tossed the team I would take as Atlantic right now, fully agree there are others that could be on the list.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
I also like Martin in Moncton but the list of D was 6. He may lose points because he’s not as flashy as the others right now...he may be the best in the end because his game is more complete, we’ll have to wait and see.

Burbidge is good also but he definitely benefits from a run and gun team with lots of firepower. My only question on him, is he more concerned with points or winning? Don’t know him personally but have noticed his team up a goal and he is cheating badly for the freebie. Points points points???

There are several others strong hockey players in the group. I just tossed the team I would take as Atlantic right now, fully agree there are others that could be on the list.

Well said on Burbidge...that Team is too talented and should win more big games.
As for Patterson....break away speed I agree with..not foot speed, as he is extremely quick and effective below the dots, probably the best of the group.
Tully Grant? I was impressed at Ice Jam.. I have not seem him enough, he may get lost behind Peddle.
Lochead, Crosby, Wallace have improved immensely in the last 8 months
MacKinnon has dropped off substantially since Peewee, his size advantage is gone and he thinks the game poorly.
Will Allen is at OHA and a crazy good skater...anxious to see how he adjust to Midget
Still have Lounsbury as a long shot to make Major Midget next year...if he does , he will do well...makes players around that much better
As for Martin...first round Q pick ..you heard it here!

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Grant, Lochead, Wallace, Crosby, lounsbury are all good but they are the next wave in my mind.

Grant is a big, strong, feisty power forward type. His skills are decent not great but playing with Peddle doesn’t hurt.

Lochead has always had some puck skills but he seems to be faster now....not fast....faster. He use to be a little slower then the top guys. His overall game seems to finally come together and he is a solid player!

Crosby has grown a ton the last couple years and it’s completely changed his game from being pushed off pucks easily to being the pusher. Skills are solid and he’s getting better every time I see him.

Wallace is going the opposite direction. He was far ahead of Lochead and Crosby and although he’s still solid it’s not progressing much anymore. They all peak somewhere...wonder if bantam is his peak?

Every time I watch Nova I leave wondering how I missed MacKinnon. He just doesn’t stand out to me in any way?

I watched lounsbury twice at ice jam and found him quiet. You could tell he was smart and made some very nice plays but really blah there. Sometimes as a player your linemates are not having a great game and that can drag you down, maybe it was just an off weekend. They are just kids it happens.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Below the dots Patterson is great yup. He’s what I would call quick not fast, he has great anticipation and he’s very competitive. Needs to be faster the other 100 plus feet to play high level junior though.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
These are not meant to be knocks on the kids though. Every one of them is better then I was at 14 lol. Just observations.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
These are not meant to be knocks on the kids though. Every one of them is better then I was at 14 lol. Just observations.

just good dialogue about some quantity talent in the Maritimes. It will be great to track this group next season when they become the rookies at the next level.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
Based on this , you have 2 guys in the top 4, 2 more guys have moved into your top 10. Things have changed for sure...so now round out your new top 10.
Here you go - I had to do top 11.
1. Tyler Peddle
2. Cam Squires
3. Justin Gendron
4. Cole Burbidge
5. Mathieu Pelletier
6. Noah Ryan
10. Brad Nadeau
7. Harry Clements
8. Bradly Nadeau
9. Matteo Rotondi
10. Cameron Henderson
11. Luke Patterson

@Prospectsfinest - I would have picked about the same team last year. I would swap out a few players this year for sure. I'd have to put Burbidge on that team, it doesn't matter if his team has some other good players on it - he's making them better as a past first player. If the knock is if he's a team player - generally assists make you a good team player and he leads the league :)

Last edited:

DaveMacScout

Nov 6, 2019
Replace Arsenault with Jonah MacDonald and your list is fairly accurate at this point in time, based on my discussions with top scouts. Henderson may emerge as the best of them all, he plays with a lot of grit.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Jonah MacDonald was PEI’a best forward at the ACC last fall...unfortunately playing at the Mount I don’t get to see him very much.
Henderson IMO lacks hockey IQ, Been watching him for years and still don’t see any willingness to move the puck and make plays. He is a beast, but beast are a dime a dozen. Hoping this changes and it , as I am sure he is getting pushed at MSC.
Lap2000...I understand the previous top 3 player that has moved off the list...completely agree. Sorry boys but at Bantam I have to look past size and speed unless it comes with some IQ. A....where are they now ?... list from the last 10 years of Bantam would prove that.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
I haven’t seen MacDonald play in a few years, wish he played major bantam. Saw Henderson last year and I agree he’s a beast and has a nasty streak, with average hockey IQ. When others catch up in size, I wonder if he’ll be just average.

As far as Burbidge goes, I’m not totally sure what in his game doesn’t put him above the others on my list. I picked a team and I like my team lol but I will say points aren’t a huge factor to me, they are very deceptive. Put Burbidge on Dartmouth or Cape Breton and he has 35 not 65. That is my point of him being on an offensive team.

I Remember about 5/6 years ago there was a kid came into the N.S. bantam league all hyped up, great skater, fantastic shot, sweet vision....etc. All were true the kid had amazing skills but there was something in his game I didn’t like. He didn’t always compete, his body language was often not great if someone missed a pass, and I generally left disappointed even though he’d have a couple points. Look up Jesse Hamer....he was extremely similar to Cole Burbidge at the same age.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
How does the level Jonah Macdonald is playing at now compair to the PEI Bantam AAA league?

Well...we will find out this weekend. Mount is playing in the Spud. The unfortunate thing is that the Spud has taken a drastic hit in talent this year at the Bantam AAA level. I expect them to be competitive this weekend , but not at the level of Central/Eastern.

DaveMacScout

Nov 6, 2019
Jonah is the best bantam aged forward, clements is the best d, followed by mossey, then you have keifer as the best goalie. All 4 should be in rounds 3-6 of the 2021 entry draft.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Is there any chatter on Jack O’Blenis out of Dieppe? I watched him at ice jam, but he was very quiet. I did hear he was picked up by an agency after the Monctonian.

Reactions: Agentmansam

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
As far as PEI forwards Caleb MacDonald was a big surprise to me. I had no idea he was as good as he is. He’s not big, but if size is in his future he’s going to go far! Squires is similar all the tools but a little weak physically, but with his brother being over 6 feet I suspect it’s just a matter of time for him. Still I really liked the way Caleb MacDonald played.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Well I guess the question on the Mount’s competitiveness has been answered. Dominated by both Eastern and Central so far ..managing only 13 shots in a 7-1 loss this am.

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
Jonah MacDonald has a lot of attributes you like to see in a player ie: Speed, Size,

I love Caleb MacDonalds game though, work ethic alone is excellent and size doesnt seem to be an issue .

Last edited:
Reactions: Prospectsfinest

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
@Prospectsfinest I agree with Henderson, he was physically more mature earlier then most if not all the other kids I think as he was big as an underager. This will be a challenge to overcome over the next 3 years unless is father and mother are 6' 8" :)

My guess is in another 2 months, I have another top 10 list with 5 different kids at this age. Heck maybe there is a AA kid from from NB or NL in the list by then the way things can change so fast at this age!!!

HkyFan202

Feb 22, 2019
Has anyone been watching any of the SPUD this weekend?
Will anyone be at the granby international tournament later this month to watch games ??

Last edited:

PeiHockey456

Feb 2, 2020
Has anyone been watching any of the SPUD this weekend?
Will anyone be at the granby international tournament later this month to watch games ??
I watched a few spud games impressed by Mossey as much as anyone. Goaltending was average besides a few performances from Mid-Isle with below average defence. Central is for sure the favourites but don’t be surprised by Eastern. Harry Clements and Nathan Mossey were best D in my eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad