2021 QMJHL Draft

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
A lot of you are saying it's a very strong year for Maritimes…

In Granby, Maritimes teams have a combined record of 2-12 against Quebec teams.

22 goals FOR and 73 goals AGAINST.

Only 2 wins were against teams #20 and #21 in regular season.

Even Arsenal with only 1 win in regular season in 22+ games won all their games against Maritime teams.

Some players may look pretty good when the competition is not there. The evaluation then became less accurate. I'm not saying that those players are not good but Q's teams will select in their pool which include Quebec as well.

Agree partially., Quebec has talent..no question ...but one important note with the Maritimes vs Quebec is the 06 players. Most Maritimes Teams have 4-6 first year Bantams, where Quebec Teams have none..or maybe 1. This results in a huge discrepancy in team size...overall the scores for the most part were close. Add a full line of 2nd year Bantams to any of those Teams and you see a much different outcome.

Last edited:

Prospect Tracker

Dec 11, 2018
Quebec
Agree partially., Quebec has talent..no question ...but one important note with the Maritimes vs Quebec is the 06 players. Most Maritimes Teams have 4-6 first year Bantams, where Quebec Teams have none..or maybe 1. This results in a huge discrepancy in team size...overall the scores for the most part were close. Add a full line of 2nd year Bantams to any of those Teams and you see a much different outcome.

I understand. But Maritimes Top 2005 players faces each game younger players and a lower level of play. When they arrive in the Q, the step is much higher for many of them. Especially those drafted after the 4-5th round.

Reactions: Talking Hockey

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
I understand. But Maritimes Top 2005 players faces each game younger players and a lower level of play. When they arrive in the Q, the step is much higher for many of them. Especially those drafted after the 4-5th round.
No question , population limitations drive a weaker overall product.

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
I did not mean to imply Quebec will not dominate the draft. They will for sure. My list is focused only on the atlantic provinces. Quebec will likely push 7 or 8 kids out of my top 11 in fact. I chose a top 11 - because I couldn't trim it to 10 - I should have went to 15.

There are an artificially higher number of first year kids in Bantam in these teams because if they are cut, once they go to another team they can stay there for their second year. Typically there are 1 or 2 second year kids on the high end tier 2 teams that would make the major teams better depth wise which is where the weakness is, but it just can't work that way with how the system works. It's a model that mandates that you should try as hard as possible to have a kid born in the first part of the year if you want them to have an easy ride, however for the top of the top - birthday doesn't matter as much as well.

nhlscout2023

Mar 10, 2020
far from a spot on list but those that I have seen early and talked to respected scouts that I am good friends with have helped...I retired from scouting but still make it to Quebec here and there and can not stop catching games lol.

1. Cam Squires—F—Attack 5’04/110 02 03 02 05
    2. Luke Patterson—F—Moncton Bantam 5’08/135 00 00 00 00
    3. Tyler Peddle—F—The Novas 5’08/145 06 10 04 14
    4. Preston Lounsbury—D—Dieppe Flyers 0’00/000 01 00 03 03
    5. Etienne Morin—D—CIHA White Midget 0’00/000 15 01 06 07
    6. Evan Courtois—F—Cascades 0’00/000 06 08 05 13
    7. Eli Baillargeon—F—Harfangs 0’00/000 07 08 05 13
    8. Isaac Fecteau—D—Seminaire St Jos. M17 5’05/140 01 00 00 00
    9. Loic Goyette—F—Patriotes 0’00/000 05 06 05 11
    10. Vince Elie—F—National Mont 5’07/146 05 01 04 05
    11. Luke McPhee—F—Pro Hockey Life 5’08/134 04 05 02 07
    12. Mathys Laurent—D—Patriotes 0’00/000 02 00 02 02
    13. Vincent Gauthier—F—Grenadiers 0’00/000 18 06 05 11
    14. Kiefer Thompson—G—Prince County 5’11/140
    15. Ethan Gauthier—F—Cascades 0’00/000 06 05 07 12
    16. Loic Goyette—F—Patriotes 6’00/172 05 06 05 11
    17. Cristiano Spadafora—F—National Mont 0’00/000 18 10 13 23
    18. Noah Razon—D—LSL 0’00/000 06 01 03 04
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also Luke Couglin--D--Attack, Loic Goyette--F--Patriots, Blake Pilgram-Edwards—F—All Credit , Elijah Thompson—F—Arsenal St Louis, Mathieu Wener—D—College Francais, Jonah MacDonald—F—Central Attack, Malcolm Green—F—Bedford
I think cam squires is far overrated,

nhlscout2023

Mar 10, 2020
Here is my top 15 from Atlantic...based on what I have seen thus far, Weighted heavily on who can/will make an impact at Major Midget next year. No particular order
F’s
Ryan
Patterson
Peddle
Gendron
Nadeau
Pelletier (BCS)
Squires
MacDonald (Mount)
Rotondi (NFLD)

D’s
MacDonald
MacKinnon
Clements
Martin
Coughlin
Boudreau

Special mention to a few goalies
Richardson
Thompson (OHA)
Leblanc (Moncton)
Flanagan
Owen Carter is safe pick for goalie to

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
@nhlscoutman2023 - I think you are looking at old posts and quoting them. The world has changed since then for sure and that list I don't think is valid. I think even scoutman would revise it now. Squires is decent. Not #1 - but I had him top 3 in atlantic - maybe a top 10 including Quebec.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
@nhlscoutman2023 - I think you are looking at old posts and quoting them. The world has changed since then for sure and that list I don't think is valid. I think even scoutman would revise it now. Squires is decent. Not #1 - but I had him top 3 in atlantic - maybe a top 10 including Quebec.
ya that list is old...I have Tyler Peddle number 1 now which might change next year again lol

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
I did see all the games from the provincials before it got canned. Valley was strong- but it was against a weakened Rangers team due to suspensions of their top guys. Wear Well did well too. Still Burbidge is climbing fast, he literally assisted his own goals in a natural hat trick and just dominated the scoreboard in a way no other player did. Crosby continues to climb. Peddle was not idling but is leaving the door open over the last 3 weeks. Anyone else checkout the provincials?

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
The metro NS midget teams should have protected their 4 players by now I think. Here's my guesses:

Halifax
Liam Welsh Halifax
Jake MacDonald Halifax
Bailey Shortall Gulls
be surprised if they protect a 4th.

Dartmouth
Malcolm Green Bedford
Luke Foster Bedford
Brady Wamboldt Dartmouth
Carter Richardson Dartmouth

Coleharbour
Jake Todd Rangers
Devon Francis Rangers
Mitchell Wagner Rangers
Luke McPhee Coleharbour

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
The metro NS midget teams should have protected their 4 players by now I think. Here's my guesses:

Halifax
Liam Welsh Halifax
Jake MacDonald Halifax
Bailey Shortall Gulls

Dartmouth
Malcolm Green Bedford
Luke Foster Bedford
Brady Wamboldt Dartmouth

Coleharbour
Jake Todd Rangers
Devon Francis Rangers
Mitchell Wagner Rangers
Luke McPhee Coleharbour

I will go out on a limb and say a 2nd kid from Cole Harbour gets protected...maybe Stobo

Reactions: Prospectsfinest

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Stobo wouldn’t surprise me, I like his game. Stone hands but works really hard and has decent size. I actually like his game more then Wagner but I can’t see any of Todd, Francis and McPhee not getting protected....unless they go away to prep school.

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Very bored so I’m Going to try and start a discussion. These are the 15 year olds I hope to watch in midget next year with these teams. Stated above that I hope to see...there are others that may be there yes.

Halifax
L.Welsh f
J. Plandowski f (away)
B.Shortall f
J.MacDonald d
C.Flemming g

Dartmouth
M.Green f
L.Foster f
W.Normandeau f
S. Bower d
B.Wamboldt d
C. Richardson g

ColeHarbour
D.Francis f
J.Todd f
M. Wagner f
B. Pilgrim f
L. McPhee f
R. Decoste g

South Shore
B. Coleman f
D. Rafuse f
O. Hatfield f
K. Harlow d

Valley
C. Burbidge f
N. Fowler f
A. Crocker f
C. Henderson f (away)
L. Orr (prep)

Pictou County
A. Tucker f
B. Wallace f
L. Crosby f
L. Lochead f
C. MacGillivary d
E. McNutt d (moved)

CB West
T. Peddle f
T. Grant f
R. Wood f
R. MacKinnon d
L. Stewart d
J. Milner g

Cape Breton
A. Christmas f
T. Lefresne d
J. Jobes d

There are 3 kids in N.S. that could play as under agers but I don’t think any will apply.
Q. Kennedy f
W. Shields f
I. Phillips d

Moncton
J. Gendron f
L. Patterson f
P. Collette f
R. Hopper f
P. Lounsbury f
W. Allen f (away)
D. MacKinnon d
JP Boudreau d
J. Martin d
S. Leblanc g

Northern
O. Arsenault f
N. Adams d
N. Ward d

Fredericton
B. Nadeau f
C. Morin f
D. Deschenes f
S. MacFarlane f
S. Mayo f
G. El-Tahhan f
M. Pelletier f (away)
A. Topilnyckyj d
S. Johnson d (away)

Saint John
N.Ryan f
J. Corscadden f
I. Dickie d
J. Flanagan g

Charlottetown
C. MacDonald f
C. Squires f
B. Arsenault f
B. Murphy f
J. MacDonald f
M. Senter f
H. Clements d
L. Coughlin d
N. Mossey d

Kensington
S. Bowness f
C. Alain f
P. Shea f
C . Arsenault d
K. Thompson g (away)

Players ifrom NL I would like to see:
M. Rotondi d
M. Strapp f
N. Crosbie f
T. Chafe f (away)

Moncton, Fredericton and Charlottetown get all them players and they would draw a lot of attention.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Very bored so I’m Going to try and start a discussion. These are the 15 year olds I hope to watch in midget next year with these teams. Stated above that I hope to see...there are others that may be there yes.

Halifax
L.Welsh f
J. Plandowski f (away)
B.Shortall f
J.MacDonald d
C.Flemming g

Dartmouth
M.Green f
L.Foster f
W.Normandeau f
S. Bower d
B.Wamboldt d
C. Richardson g

ColeHarbour
D.Francis f
J.Todd f
M. Wagner f
B. Pilgrim f
L. McPhee f
R. Decoste g

South Shore
B. Coleman f
D. Rafuse f
O. Hatfield f
K. Harlow d

Valley
C. Burbidge f
N. Fowler f
A. Crocker f
C. Henderson f (away)
L. Orr (prep)

Pictou County
A. Tucker f
B. Wallace f
L. Crosby f
L. Lochead f
C. MacGillivary d
E. McNutt d (moved)

CB West
T. Peddle f
T. Grant f
R. Wood f
R. MacKinnon d
L. Stewart d
J. Milner g

Cape Breton
A. Christmas f
T. Lefresne d
J. Jobes d

There are 3 kids in N.S. that could play as under agers but I don’t think any will apply.
Q. Kennedy f
W. Shields f
I. Phillips d

Moncton
J. Gendron f
L. Patterson f
P. Collette f
R. Hopper f
P. Lounsbury f
W. Allen f (away)
D. MacKinnon d
JP Boudreau d
J. Martin d
S. Leblanc g

Northern
O. Arsenault f
N. Adams d
N. Ward d

Fredericton
B. Nadeau f
C. Morin f
D. Deschenes f
S. MacFarlane f
S. Mayo f
G. El-Tahhan f
M. Pelletier f (away)
A. Topilnyckyj d
S. Johnson d (away)

Saint John
N.Ryan f
J. Corscadden f
I. Dickie d
J. Flanagan g

Charlottetown
C. MacDonald f
C. Squires f
B. Arsenault f
B. Murphy f
J. MacDonald f
M. Senter f
H. Clements d
L. Coughlin d
N. Mossey d

Kensington
S. Bowness f
C. Alain f
P. Shea f
C . Arsenault d
K. Thompson g (away)

M. Rotondi d
M. Strapp f
N. Crosbie f
T. Chafe f (away)

Moncton, Fredericton and Charlottetown get all them players and they would draw a lot of attention.

Very interesting approach to looking at next season. Keep this in your back pocket and give your a high five for each one you get right. With the Telus Cup coming to Cape. Breton, you may see a few Teams load up with 04’s....or at least a few extra, which will eat into the 05 pool...driving them to Midget Minor.
I agree with 92%...missing a few 05’s that could crack a line up a Teams will be looking for role players as they get into their later selections.

Reactions: Prospectsfinest

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
Many of us have loads of free time these days.... your list is pretty comprehensive across all provinces and looks very good. I would add Aldridge & Alchorn along with Fullerton to the mix in Saint John and believe there are a couple of other forwards in the Moncton region that will compete for a roster spot (White/O'Blenis). Can't see teams loading up with more than half a dozen 15 year olds in any market so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019
Many of us have loads of free time these days.... your list is pretty comprehensive across all provinces and looks very good. I would add Aldridge & Alchorn along with Fullerton to the mix in Saint John and believe there are a couple of other forwards in the Moncton region that will compete for a roster spot (White/O'Blenis). Can't see teams loading up with more than half a dozen 15 year olds in any market so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Hearing Halifax/CH/Dart will announce their protected lists around April 6th.

HockeyNB77

Hockey77
Oct 11, 2019

Halifax
L.Welsh f
J. Plandowski f (away)
B.Shortall f
J.MacDonald d
C.Flemming g

Dartmouth
M.Green f
L.Foster f
W.Normandeau f
S. Bower d
B.Wamboldt d
C. Richardson g

ColeHarbour
D.Francis f
J.Todd f
M. Wagner f
B. Pilgrim f
L. McPhee f
R. Decoste g

South Shore
B. Coleman f
D. Rafuse f
O. Hatfield f
K. Harlow d

Valley
C. Burbidge f
N. Fowler f
A. Crocker f
C. Henderson f (away)
L. Orr (prep)

Pictou County
A. Tucker f
B. Wallace f
L. Crosby f
L. Lochead f
C. MacGillivary d
E. McNutt d (moved)

CB West
T. Peddle f
T. Grant f
R. Wood f
R. MacKinnon d
L. Stewart d
J. Milner g

Cape Breton
A. Christmas f
T. Lefresne d
J. Jobes d

Q. Kennedy f
W. Shields f
I. Phillips d

Moncton
J. Gendron f
L. Patterson f
P. Collette f
R. Hopper f
P. Lounsbury f
W. Allen f (away)
D. MacKinnon d
JP Boudreau d
J. Martin d
S. Leblanc g

Northern
O. Arsenault f
N. Adams d
N. Ward d

Fredericton
B. Nadeau f
C. Morin f
D. Deschenes f
S. MacFarlane f
S. Mayo f
G. El-Tahhan f
M. Pelletier f (away)
A. Topilnyckyj d
S. Johnson d (away)

Saint John
N.Ryan f
J. Corscadden f
I. Dickie d
J. Flanagan g

Charlottetown
C. MacDonald f
C. Squires f
B. Arsenault f
B. Murphy f
J. MacDonald f
M. Senter f
H. Clements d
L. Coughlin d
N. Mossey d

Kensington
S. Bowness f
C. Alain f
P. Shea f
C . Arsenault d
K. Thompson g (away)

M. Rotondi d
M. Strapp f
N. Crosbie f
T. Chafe f (away)

Lap2000

Sep 7, 2019
Cape Breton
@Prospectsfinest Nice list - I will look at most and few I think I may not look at :) I do hope the 06 you mention do not play up. I've watched them all a great deal and the only person who might benefit is Phillips. Shields is an early bloomer physically and has been for several years, he's wicked strong offensively and carries an attitude like he knows it. I think he'd do good - but there is limited to no long term upside for him really for jumping to midget - maybe prep would be better for him. Kennedy is a better all around player and he's in a position where he will be able to lead a very good team to Atlantics. He would be better off for sure getting that experience at the Bantam level. Better for them to dominate next year offensively and come into Midget as the top 1-3 prospect. Philips I think is physically ready and his game will easily translate I think and he would get more out midget I think so I'd maybe side with him doing it if he wants. The 06 year is a fair bit weaker then 05 and 04 (although from what I saw the AA league was good this year in mainland and the city from what I saw in NS so maybe that will help in 2020-21 as probably a lot of 06 hiding there).

Last edited:

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
I agree with all 3 of the 06 kids. Phillips is ready for midget but I hope he stays with the gulls and really leads that team. Kennedy is a better hockey player then shields but he’s not as physically strong, and Shields is dynamite on the rush, great speed and shot, but his hockey sense is just good. I think as he gets older his game will plateau after midget. Shields is not cocky though, he’s a great kid from what I’ve heard.

Talking Hockey

Mar 23, 2020
Just my thoughts on the 06’s jumping to Midget next year. Surviving in a league with the 05 group verses trying to jump in with the 04’s and the 03’s that remain is like night and day.
The 03/04 combo years in my opinion is much different. I think the Bantam league two years ago was much stronger. Even the 04/05 combo was a different game but not as fast, gritty and still highly skilled as the 03/04 group. Other then the top percentage that will be in junior of some sort the 06’s if deciding to try and jump up would be jumping into a world of hockey they just have not been exposed to yet. Playing Bantam with the 05’s is not the same.

HKYEAST

Nov 13, 2019

Halifax
Liam Welsh Halifax
Jake MacDonald Halifax
Bailey Shortall Gulls

Dartmouth
Malcolm Green Bedford
Luke Foster Bedford
Brady Wamboldt Dartmouth

Coleharbour
Jake Todd Rangers
Devon Francis Rangers
Mitchell Wagner Rangers
Luke McPhee Coleharbour
9 out of 12 ..Not bad.

Reactions: HkyFan202

Prospectsfinest

Jan 24, 2020
Haha I don’t have any inside on this so it was purely who I would have protected. Ives over Wagner is no biggie, I find Wagner is a hit or miss anyhow. Surprised Wamboldt wasn’t protected but I bet he’s already been guaranteed a spot. With Halifax I simply didn’t see a 4th kid I would guarantee a spot too, apparently they think Asbridge is good enough...I don’t.

ATLHockeywatcher

Feb 25, 2020
It will be interesting to see how many other Major teams start taking a similar approach and locking down some 15 year olds early. The schools are already in full recruitment mode for next fall and given the uncertainty of Spring ID or development camps teams will need to make some early commitments somehow?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->