Speculation: 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I would not doubt that Getz signed here so he could stay as a Duck, then it is understood we flip him at the trade deadline to a SC Team.
He mentioned on NHL Network Radio that his agent did mention to him that this doesn’t mean he can’t play for a contender, referencing that scenario.

Win/Win for everyone would be is if he hits 1000 points as a Duck, gets traded to Perry’s team and wins the cup.

Last edited:

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
If the plan is to gather high picks for 3 years, and create a glut of talent at the same time, why not trade away talent over the last couple yhears for more high picks? silly silly silly

We have traded away a lot of talent the last few years and gotten extra high picks.

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
We have traded away a lot of talent the last few years and gotten extra high picks.

A couple. But its the half-in/half-out, not really committed activity on the Ducks. They hesitated during their window often because they wanted to be competitive "every year" and didn't want to deal away top end resources for the future. During the last few years of not being good, they have been really not good, despite holding on to Rakell, Silf, Henrique, Manson etc when they had good value.

What I'm saying is the plan every year seems to be, "Lets see what the team does this year, then make decisions based solely on that".

There is no, "Ok, so here is our 3 year plan. Lets commit to it"

Even when we had a glut of young d-men, it never materialized into anything but a Montour trade and losing Theo and Vats.

Now they are rebuilding, but any hope of being competitive in the playoffs is literally 2-3 years away. So why not commit to the rebuild 2 or 3 years ago when you knew it was coming? And if you didn't know it was coming, what is the GM getting paid to do?

Oct 18, 2011
What do you mean by improving the team ? A couple over priced UFAs isn't gonna make this team a cup contending team nor is completely gutting the prospect pool for 1 guy.
Won't even be a playoff team with all the holes the Ducks have.

This is a bottom feeding team and adding talent such as both Hoffman & Reinhart simply means lowering the chance at a elite prospect in 2022.

Following the Vancouver model(not great) the Ducks need one more elite prospect and then start adding more talent via UFA and trades.
2021 wasn't a great draft class and it's too early to know what we have from it.

Colorado has MacKinnon/Makar/Rantanen/Landeskog, we need a core like that and Colorado got them in the draft.

Tampa got Hedman and Stamkos via top2 picks.
You are putting too many eggs in the tank basket, you have to protect some of these young players with veterans who actually can produce and know how to play.

Being awful like last year again doesn't seem like it would be good for the development of these players. how many years do you want to do this for?

BTW i am not saying overpay for free agents, the GM himself set the expectation for trades and using our capspace to gain assets, so far that hasn't happened, and more and more teams are clearing out their capsheets

Reactions: Ducks DVM

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Rakell Henrique Terry
Lundestrom Zegras Comtois
Silf Getzlaf Steel
Deslauriers Grant Jones

I think something similar to this is what we see next season. Hopefully we trade for eichel though.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Here is the Twitch VOD of Zegras playing Warzone at the Barstool HQ. Feel free to skim through it, but it's pretty long. At one point, he was asked about changing his number and says he doesn't think he's allowed to quite yet, but that he would ideally pick #13, and if not #13, then #11.

Another somewhat interesting tidbit: Zegras said he knew who the Ducks were picking at #3 ahead of time. No clue how that info gets dispersed, but I didn't expect that. Also, someone in the chat asked about Jack Eichel getting dealt to the Ducks, and Zegras sorta freaked out and checked his phone because he thought that meant it was a confirmed trade.

Last edited:

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Here is the Twitch VOD of Zegras playing Warzone at the Barstool HQ. Feel free to skim through it, but it's pretty long. At one point, he was asked about changing his number and says he doesn't think he's allowed to quite yet, but that he would ideally pick #13, and if not #13, then #11.

Another somewhat interesting tidbit: Zegras said he knew who the Ducks were picking at #3 ahead of time. No clue how that info gets dispersed, but I didn't expect that. Also, someone in the chat asked about Jack Eichel getting dealt to the Ducks, and Zegras sorta freaked out and checked his phone because he thought that meant it was a confirmed trade.

Nice, I would like Z with #13. He mentioned it's because of Datsyuk
Interesting about McTavish

Last edited:

Zegras11

Jun 22, 2019
Rakell Henrique Terry
Lundestrom Zegras Comtois
Silf Getzlaf Steel
Deslauriers Grant Jones

I think something similar to this is what we see next season. Hopefully we trade for eichel though.
Probably better lines than whatever trash Eakins will come up with. Terry himself acknowledged that he plays well with Henrique and Steel would have a lot more time and space to do what he does best playing on Getzlafs wing.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

It's terrible because I can barely understand what Z is saying there :laugh:
But he seem to have added at least a bit of muscle.

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia

Everything that Getzlaf doesn't like here :sarcasm: Playing videogames and people watching other people play videogames. It's like the double whammy.

Reactions: ShadowDuck

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
A couple. But its the half-in/half-out, not really committed activity on the Ducks. They hesitated during their window often because they wanted to be competitive "every year" and didn't want to deal away top end resources for the future. During the last few years of not being good, they have been really not good, despite holding on to Rakell, Silf, Henrique, Manson etc when they had good value.

What I'm saying is the plan every year seems to be, "Lets see what the team does this year, then make decisions based solely on that".

There is no, "Ok, so here is our 3 year plan. Lets commit to it"

Even when we had a glut of young d-men, it never materialized into anything but a Montour trade and losing Theo and Vats.

Now they are rebuilding, but any hope of being competitive in the playoffs is literally 2-3 years away. So why not commit to the rebuild 2 or 3 years ago when you knew it was coming? And if you didn't know it was coming, what is the GM getting paid to do?
1000%. This annoys me so much and really extended our rebuild. We could easily have another high end piece or 2 already that we could rebuild around.

We can redeem ourself if we make a big trade or two and get a few extra first rounders next year while positioning us really well for next year's draft which will probably be our lost shot at an elite talent. Give me one of the top 3 next year and draft 2 more first round wingers and we are looking golden going forward.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
1000%. This annoys me so much and really extended our rebuild. We could easily have another high end piece or 2 already that we could rebuild around.

We can redeem ourself if we make a big trade or two and get a few extra first rounders next year while positioning us really well for next year's draft which will probably be our lost shot at an elite talent. Give me one of the top 3 next year and draft 2 more first round wingers and we are looking golden going forward.
Ah, yes. The famous Buffalo Sabres 2014/15 model where they tanked for McDavid. Guaranteed to bring success

:sarcasm:

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Ah, yes. The famous Buffalo Sabres 2014/15 model where they tanked for McDavid. Guaranteed to bring success

:sarcasm:
There are never any gaurantees but the only way to build from the bottom is the draft. Just because some picks dont turn out does not mean you can just skip that step and be a cup contender. For every failed rebuild there are countless success stories and we already have 2 excellent foundational pieces in zegras and drysdale and madden who is one of the best in the business at drafting.

Literally the worst spot to be in is a middle of the pack team that doesnt hve the fire power to contend but doesnt get top picks. That always leads to a rebuild but takes much much longer.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
You are putting too many eggs in the tank basket, you have to protect some of these young players with veterans who actually can produce and know how to play.

Being awful like last year again doesn't seem like it would be good for the development of these players. how many years do you want to do this for?

BTW i am not saying overpay for free agents, the GM himself set the expectation for trades and using our capspace to gain assets, so far that hasn't happened, and more and more teams are clearing out their capsheets
You can tank and still protect playets. Get some short term contracts that you move at tdl with rentention.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I would say the slow progress has more to do with the first generation of prospects (Terry, Steel, Jones, Mahura, Larsson, etc.) being mostly flops than it does not trading aggressively enough.
While those guys have been disappointing you do not rebuild around late 1st round picks. None of those guys were ever expected to be top pair or top line guys, let alone franchise talents. Those are more the line filler types that can come in as low cost additions to a solid team.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I see that Michael Dal Colle went unsigned. Seems like a typical Bargain Bin Bob signing. Former early first rounder, big player whose career hasn't gone as predicted. Would be a cheap signing, low risk medium reward (likely no reward though).

We entertained the idea of bringing Ritchie back. I read somewhere that there are several teams after him, likely contending teams among them wanting to add grit and depth. Thus, I am sceptical he would sign with Anaheim. I would be fine if Anaheim signed him to a short contract. He could be traded for an asset at the deadline. Another player they could think about bringing back is Gudbranson. I would be fine with it for the right price and he could be traded at the deadline as well. He worked well with Fowler and adding him would mean less ice time for Larsson.

Looking at the remaining free agents, probably the only player who could bring some skill to the lineup is Tatar. Otherwise it's mostly just has-beens and grinders, and someone like Krejci will only sign with the Bruins. If Murray wants to add some scoring (which he should), he should go after Tatar.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Zegras mentioned on the Fore Play Podcast that training camp starts around September 22, so this is what it sounds like the preseason schedule will look like:

Rookie Camp - Immediately before Rookie Tournament
Rookie Tournament - September 17-20 in Arizona
Training Camp - September 22
1st Preseason Game - September 29

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
While those guys have been disappointing you do not rebuild around late 1st round picks. None of those guys were ever expected to be top pair or top line guys, let alone franchise talents. Those are more the line filler types that can come in as low cost additions to a solid team.

They were supposed to supplement Gibson, Lindholm and at the time Getzlaf was still a No. 1 C and we were hoping he could hold onto that for a few more years. But Lindholm can't stay healthy, Gibson has been shockingly average for almost two full years and Getzlaf is not immune to aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad