Speculation: 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Big difference between Gibson and Getzlaf is that Getz won the cup very early in his career and has won gold with team Canada. Gibson hasn't won the cup and hasn't won gold since U20s. It is easier for Getzlaf to have that team mentality when he has had all kinds of success through his career while Gibson hasn't and he's worried that he will waste most of his career in a team uncapable of winning. Gibson's attitude would probably be different if he won the cup in 2017 for example.

I get Gibson's frustration, I think we have seen it in his on ice performances when he just seems frustrated and gives up. I would too be annoyed if I felt like the rest of the team wasn't trying and I had to face 40+ shots every night because of it. I would want to give up too and call people out. I hope that someone explains to him how rebuilds work and that the team is close to turning it around (I think the bottom has been reached).

If he wants to go somewhere else, that's fine. I have always felt that he's not going to spend his whole career in Anaheim. I do wish that he stays for a year though because Dostal isn't ready yet and I think that the next season will be better so maybe Gibson changes his mind.
If we’re “rebuilding” I don’t mind moving him for assets to help the future and getting a filler goalie until dostal is ready.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I think I’d be more upset if he was “okay” with the situation. Get pissed off and call out the team, that’s what Bob Murray should be doing but most he’s done is fire some assistants. Hold players accountable.

I do think he probably should be traded for everyone involved. We gain rebuilding assets like draft picks or younger players and Gibson’s prime isn’t wasted.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
If I were BM, I'd probably work the phones right now. Calling out every single team mate of yours, no matter if justified or not, publicly, is unacceptable and should be rewarded with a trade. I heard Buffalo wanted Gibson, so maybe he should go there?

Eichel + Anderson
for
Gibson + Shattenkirk

Buffalo gets their #1 goalie and a veteran presence to their blue line in order to teach the young players such as Power, Dahlin etc. - and we get an old-ass replacement for our goalie who is just the stop gap for Dostal for a season already lost and a player who is 50/50 either a superstar when healthy again or a cash grave. Both teams take on lots of money (10.3M vs. 10.7M) and risk, but solve their problematic situations for now. I'd say that's a fair-value deal that makes Buffalo better and Anaheim worse for this season, but potentially helps out both teams in the long run. Always considering Gibson might not re-sign in Buffalo at all, of course, but he might as well be traded somewhere else anyway.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I would have more sympathy for Gibson's frustration if I hadn't seen inconsistent goaltending, blame directed at teammates, and instances of quitting in the net over the past two years. It's going to be difficult to change the direction and culture of this organization if your franchise goalie isn't on board with what needs to be done.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Are people just reading snippets of the article and then making their own conclusions as to what the Gibby article is about? Kinda like reading the headline only and making your opinions on that headline.

I'm okay with trading away Gibby for his inconsistent play, but this article just shares how Gibby wants to win again and that everyone needs to be better, including himself. I think a lot of people got wrapped up in Stephens' teaser, which presented a negative headline. I was expecting more of that negativity in the article, but it wasn't that if you had read the whole thing.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I still remember hampus predraft interiew the entire interview he talked about body language and mindset even when losing. I thought that interview was so interesting because no matter what they asked he kept mentioning it.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Notable Additions: Greg Pateryn, Buddy Robinson, Danny O’Regan, Brogan Rafferty.

Notable Subtractions: Haydn Fleury, Ryan Miller, Danton Heinen, Chase De Leo, Andy Welinski, Carter Rowney.

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Ever since Kesler and bieksa pretty much called Gibson out indirectly in game 6 v predators ( the game we gave up 6 total shots through 2 periods and bernier allowed 4 goals . “ some guys just don’t seem to care enough to play not at 100%” was the quote I remember . I always knew he would be a problem

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Notable Additions: Greg Pateryn, Buddy Robinson, Danny O’Regan, Brogan Rafferty.

Notable Subtractions: Haydn Fleury, Ryan Miller, Danton Heinen, Chase De Leo, Andy Welinski, Carter Rowney.

Fleury didn't start with the Ducks at the NHL level and yet he's a notable subtraction. That means Fleury had to be a notable addition. I can use that standard.

• C/LW Zegras and RHD Drysdale didn't start the season in the NHL. Zegras was called up at wing, sent back down to prep being a center, and then called up again as a center later in the season. At the center position, Zegras only played 7 games to close out the season. He and Drysdale only got in 24 NHL games, which still qualifies them for the Calder this coming season. (25 NHL games is when rookie becomes eligible for the Calder.)
  • Another player that didn't start with the Ducks, but he was acquired via trade during the season was F Volkov.
  • G Stolarz signed a two-year extension as an UFA. The UFA status is important because it means Stolarz could have gone anywhere else, unlike RFA status players.

The original Notable additions are all AHL'ers. They're simply additions than notable additions. De Leo and Welinski are AHL'ers, both aren't notable subtractions with respect to the NHL level.

Updated notable additions: Trevor Zegras, Jamie Drysdale, Alexander Volkov, Anthony Stolarz ... Pateryn, Robinson, O'Regan, Rafferty

Welp, that has been my version going into this season all off-season. Zegras was more productive to close out the season as a centerman, both at the AHL and NHL levels.

2020-21 AHL (Regular Season games), Zegras

Zegras
AHLGamesGAPtsPPG rate
Total171011211.24
Wing84591.13
Center966121.33
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

2020-21 NHL, Zegras

Zegras
NHLGamesGAPtsPPG rate
Total24310130.54
Wing171670.41
Center72460.86
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
And with how Zegras has been so far this off-season at the rookie tourney in Arizona and in training camp, the Ducks may have found a leader and potential captain along with continued developing elite skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad