Management Don Sweeney

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I know supposedly Bettman called that meeting for GMs and coaches in September promising scorched earth against anyone who criticized the refs to the media, but this is particularly sad. Why did Sweeney even call the press conference if he's just going to say nothing and carry the league's water again, no matter how many times he's witnessed the league screw him over. Classic battered wife syndrome.

That’s the press conference of a GM who knows his on the hot seat. If not this year then next year.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I know supposedly Bettman called that meeting for GMs and coaches in September promising scorched earth against anyone who criticized the refs to the media, but this is particularly sad. Why did Sweeney even call the press conference if he's just going to say nothing and carry the league's water again, no matter how many times he's witnessed the league screw him over. Classic battered wife syndrome.

It's really a case of being totally out of touch with their fanbase. This team is misreading the fans so badly it's baffling.

I'd take the fine knowing it would mean I am speaking for the franchise and the fanbase. I saw what tickets would have cost to go to that game last night. Unreal.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
There lies the problem...Monty Burns is getting his home playoff game checks so he's happy.

He isn't going to pony up the money to rebuild the front office until the seats are empty or there's no playoff checks

Quoted For Truth.

Holy shit. How many times have we seen the Bruins get boned because another team did exactly this? In the NHL "the squeaky wheel gets the grease," but we're worried about fines?

Pathetic.

That's taking JJ's penurious ways to the limit!

Reactions: JAD and EverettMike

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
If they lose this series they will have won only a single playoff round in the last 3 years. That might be okay if you're the Coyotes, but not this franchise. Chiarelli made the playoffs 7 straight seasons and he won a cup before the 2014-2015 collapse and he got fired. Why is Sweeney not on the hot seat? Is it because he used to play for the Bruins and he's good friends with Neely?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If they lose this series they will have won only a single playoff round in the last 3 years. That might be okay if your the Coyotes, but not this franchise. Chiarelli made the playoffs 7 straight seasons and he won a cup before the 2014-2015 collapse and he got fired. Why is Sweeney not on the hot seat? Is it because he used to play for the Bruins and he's good friends with Neely?

Yes one playoff series in 3 years and against the Toronto maple leafs with nylander and matthews missing time.

Lol. It’s your hot seat but that’s a perennial one.

He’s not getting fired.

You don’t hold mid series press conferences like that if you’re position is secure.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Why the heck did he have a conference, did the league tell them to do that? All it did was anger me more. It was a half hearted we hear who but whatever. Keefe whined how Marchand gets away with all these calls, and league has been putting the screws into Boston ever since. Go look at the PP ratio since he did that it’s nuts.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
The fact that DS faces the media about 5 times a year is apparent. The fact that he lectured reporters on what to ask the coach, and recommended that they pursue the officials for questioning is embarrassing.

• The league already issued a false explanation about the call that explained the rules
  • The league does not make officials available to the media
  • There are plenty of examples of officials being swayed by coaches or team officials calling out inequities.
DS has emperically been good at his GM job as the team has been competitive for a long stretch in the salary cap era. However, his constant need to put the blame on the players and coaches in his year-end presser is tiresome And the only value that he could have added today is to lay into the horrid officiating,

Today's performance: F. They don't give those out at Harvard, but I do.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I wonder if he is getting heat from Neely and ownership about this becoming a fact in Boston:

If you buy a playoff ticket to a Boston Bruins game the odds are heavy that you are attending a loss.

Reactions: BMC

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I doubt he's getting fired, and personally I would not but why is moving on from him above reproach? Is three first round series victories in five years good enough for this perceived iron grip on the job? Are the Jacobs just enamored with the sellouts and home play-off games and top notch regular seasons? Are the Bruins trending up or down? Is Neely/Sweeney the guys you want to reshape this team with all the money they have?

Fire him he doesn’t care

I want a GM who throws tantrums
I thought that was a very good press conference tbh. I believe you did as well.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Personally I hate teams/coaches bitching and crying in the playoffs about reffing. Always have and I'm glad these guys don't stoop to that level...maybe I'm in the minority though, but I've always hated it and thought it was the sign of a weak coach more than a strong one.

Like the shot at the league though, it's horseshit the coaches are stuck explaining why they think a play was called a certain way, let these garbage refs/video review people answer for why they made the call they did.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Fire him he doesn’t care

I want a GM who throws tantrums
You mean the exact opposite to what you post correct ?

It may not be overly popular with some here but I do think the Bruins are fortunate to have Sweeney as there GM.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You mean the exact opposite to what you post correct ?

It may not be overly popular with some here but I do think the Bruins are fortunate to have Sweeney as there GM.
Yes

Donny and me both were placed in Gryffindor by the sorting hat

The 25 dudes Slyrherin

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I doubt he's getting fired, and personally I would not but why is moving on from him above reproach? Is three first round series victories in five years good enough for this perceived iron grip on the job? Are the Jacobs just enamored with the sellouts and home play-off games and top notch regular seasons? Are the Bruins trending up or down? Is Neely/Sweeney the guys you want to reshape this team with all the money they have?
The Bruins are trending up and that's mostly because of Sweeney. The Bruins are overachieving this year. In my opinion, making the playoffs and getting players like Lohrei and Beecher playoff experience was the goal (it's a shame Poitras was injured). Beating the Leafs was a bonus, and if the Bruins beat the Panthers, it would be gravy.

The holes on this team have become apparent, and I do think there are some questions regarding the make up of the team and overall team philosophy. I think it's a mix of team construction and coaching.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The Bruins are trending up and that's mostly because of Sweeney. The Bruins are overachieving this year. In my opinion, making the playoffs and getting players like Lohrei and Beecher playoff experience was the goal (it's a shame Poitras was injured). Beating the Leafs was a bonus, and if the Bruins beat the Panthers, it would be gravy.

The holes on this team have become apparent, and I do think there are some questions regarding the make up of the team and overall team philosophy. I think it's a mix of team construction and coaching.
I like this post. Thank you for the response. I am fine with Neely/Sweeney being the architects of the next group,

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think everyone I missing the point in what Sweeney did by calling a presser. Why would he do this and not criticize the refs? Why? He did. He did call out the league but he did it indirectly. He doesn’t name names or refs. He puts the burden on the league and protects his players and coach. No names, no fines. You may not like him but he’s no dummy. It was a shot across the bow. It was just direct shot. Smart dude unlike many.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad