2020-2021 season. When, how, etc

702SHARK

Sep 29, 2017
Vegas would be perfect , I live up the street from the Vgk’s state of the art practice facility , and they just built the exact same style facility for their ahl team in Henderson .

Both buildings have 2 nhl sized sheets, they can easily accommodate a couple teams in Vegas/ Henderson .

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don't see how you can make two nhl teams in one arena with one practice facility work. If the nhl is really set on that it seems odd unless it's simply due to travel concerns
The Sharks could easily do it considering how many sheets they have at their practice facility. Nothing else going on at the arena, could also practice there. easily play 2 games a day there as long as you have a long enough gap. Also, no fans so they can keep the building overly cold to keep the ice in shape. It would be easy for probably up to 3 teams. Maybe even 4. How many just played in those playoff bubbles and how many sheets did they actually use?

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
So....... NHL is now warning that if the provincial health organizations don't sign off on a NHL season, the 7 Canadian teams may be forced to relocate to US.

(I can imagine that might negate the need for a temporary re-alignment. Which might make the Sharks chances of making the post season better.)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The issue of divisions and what not is an interesting one, but I'm not sure it matters. Maybe in one situation the Sharks barely make the playoffs and in another, they don't. However, if that's the key factor in the Sharks's fate this season, they aren't a cup-contending team.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The issue of divisions and what not is an interesting one, but I'm not sure it matters. Maybe in one situation the Sharks barely make the playoffs and in another, they don't. However, if that's the key factor in the Sharks's fate this season, they aren't a cup-contending team.

I think that's the duh position at this point among most fans. We have a good idea of what we're in for.

Reactions: FunkyPhin

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Well we ended up with no Dallas and top four in div make playoffs, so for playoff hopers thats big. My prediction is
COL
VGK
STL
SJ

ARI
MIN
LA
ANA

Yeah, with this alignment, I would think that Colorado, Vegas, and St. Louis are locks for the top-3 spots. Minnesota, LA, and Anaheim don't strike me as all that great, so I would think that SJ is fighting Arizona for the last spot. Assuming shit doesn't hit the fan like last year, the Sharks should be able to squeak in as the 4th seed. Will they make it far after that? Probably not lol, but I could see them making the playoffs this year.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Yeah, with this alignment, I would think that Colorado, Vegas, and St. Louis are locks for the top-3 spots. Minnesota, LA, and Anaheim don't strike me as all that great, so I would think that SJ is fighting Arizona for the last spot. Assuming shit doesn't hit the fan like last year, the Sharks should be able to squeak in as the 4th seed. Will they make it far after that? Probably not lol, but I could see them making the playoffs this year.
I feel like Arizona is going to be full on tire fire...

I know the players job is to play, but with reports of trying to move Kuemper and OEL, it is pretty clear the front office wants early picks and less salary.

They already don't have a great team, struggled with Hall, and now they don't have him, no pressure at all on Kessel to do anything, and OEL likely only in Arizona to spend more time with his kids, and the front office wanting them to fail.

Obviously, Kuemper is elite, and a goalie can win you a lot of games, but so is Gibson, and that has not been enough for the Ducks.

Edit: the big thing for me about this setup is it guarantees a fourth Pacific team in the playoff, which was the main way I think the Sharks could miss the playoffs with these divisions.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

Looking like team may start on the road.

I drive by parks and high schools and see kids practicing team sports with coaches and no masks. Meanwhile the 49ers and Sharks have to leave the state. Makes no sense to me. I get the Sharks practice indoors, but the 49ers most certainly do not. So who’s in charge of enforcing the ordinance, because they’re not.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
NHL reportedly comes to agreement for 2020-21 season

Sounds like the NHLPA is voting tonight and BOG to vote tomorrow. Could have official announcement by the end of the weekend?
PDB calls the Pacific the "Group of death". :laugh: Hopefully that's because he thinks the Knights are going to implode with his leadership. :laugh:

Well we ended up with no Dallas and top four in div make playoffs, so for playoff hopers thats big. My prediction is
COL
VGK
STL
SJ

ARI
MIN
LA
ANA
AWESOME!!! Bummer they didn't keep Dallas and Lose St Louis though. Sharks could have had a shot at 3rd! Oh well, at least there's some hope.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
PDB made that statement when Dallas was still in the proposed list of teams (now replaced by Minnesota).

GMs have call tomorrow to answer questions.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I drive by parks and high schools and see kids practicing team sports with coaches and no masks. Meanwhile the 49ers and Sharks have to leave the state. Makes no sense to me. I get the Sharks practice indoors, but the 49ers most certainly do not. So who’s in charge of enforcing the ordinance, because they’re not.

I believe it's supposed to be the county Sherriff's office but a lot refuse to do so.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

It would be nice if it got regulated strictly in all areas if the restrictions are in place but sadly it seems as if it does not happen enough.

And with what i have read the sharks organization has been one of the leaders during these covid times, so there is no way they are even going to push back against the city on these restrictions.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sharks have a good shot of finishing in the top 4 if that's the division. Minnesota and Arizona are looking like they want the 1st overall pick and the Socal teams aren't anything special.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I know your model says it, but it depends alot on the goalies. If either can be better, the sharks wont be as bad

This isn't my model - this is a general aggregation of every single respectable analyst's calculations in addition to some work I've done. I haven't seen a single legitimate projection that has the Sharks ahead of the Coyotes or the Wild next season.

Regarding the goalies, Minnesota just finished 13 points ahead of us (in one fewer game), and we just acquired the biggest reason that gap was only 13 points.

Could happen, but I don't see it.

But I didn't see a lottery pick this year, either.

Point remains that the bottom of the division at least allows hope of a 4th place finish.

Yes, this is true. Even if the probability is low, it's still well above 0.

On the flip side, we must acknowledge that if this team doesn't even finish 4th place in this pathetic division, they're legitimately terrible.

Reactions: themelkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad