2020-2021 season. When, how, etc

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
What we're hearing about the 2020-21 NHL season

Wyshinski looks at NHL, AHL (and ECHL) and how season will be impacted by a late start.

19 of 31 AHL teams are owned by their NHL parent, but those dozen other teams are dependent on fans in the stands to survive.

Concern with US-Canada border crossing for NHL, AHL season, as well as recalls. (Especially as the AHL teams nominally fly commercial.)

AHL looking at mostly regional (bus travel) emphasis.

Reactions: The Ice Hockey Dude

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'd be surprised if all leagues didn't look to a bubble city(s) solution for next season. The issue will be that they will need to shorten the schedule to some degree and provide for a lengthy break at some point of like two weeks to get out of the bubble for a time.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'd be surprised if all leagues didn't look to a bubble city(s) solution for next season. The issue will be that they will need to shorten the schedule to some degree and provide for a lengthy break at some point of like two weeks to get out of the bubble for a time.

Yeah and just allow the wives and family in at the same time. Takes away the just get me out of here feeling a lot of the players are currently going through with the playoffs.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
In my head, they'd definitely need to do regional bubble cities. Then I feel like they'd have to set the scheduling like they would do for a revolving tourney with a round robin style schedule. Like 3-4 weeks for a team with a team switching out every two weeks or so. But that doesn't even account for cross conference games or even cross division games. It's gonna be an interesting season.

Reactions: themelkman

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
Yeah and just allow the wives and family in at the same time. Takes away the just get me out of here feeling a lot of the players are currently going through with the playoffs.

Like a conjugal visit. I wonder what they use for currency... teeth?

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I will be interested to see how if there is still a "bubble" or not
and how next season will be addressed. At lease COVID is generally
getting better around the country. I have not idea what the season could
look like.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
In my head, they'd definitely need to do regional bubble cities. Then I feel like they'd have to set the scheduling like they would do for a revolving tourney with a round robin style schedule. Like 3-4 weeks for a team with a team switching out every two weeks or so. But that doesn't even account for cross conference games or even cross division games. It's gonna be an interesting season.

Could do it by conference. And keep that schedule amounts the same, or even add a few games to the other division games.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Could do it by conference. And keep that schedule amounts the same, or even add a few games to the other division games.

I have a hard time seeing them being able to justify cycling teams in and out of bubbles because it sort of defeats the purpose. Until they have an answer medicinally, they kind of have to limit that as much as they can which I would think means a divisions-only schedule for the time being. Do a 49 or 56 game schedule, probably 49 to account for an extended break from bubble play, then prepare the playoff bubbles and do what's going on this season.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Bubbles dont really make sense at scale but strict isolation does. No fans and no fraternizing with the public during travel. Test before you go on road trips, its not like they are flying commercial. MLB really hasnt been that bad.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Bubbles dont really make sense at scale but strict isolation does. No fans and no fraternizing with the public during travel. Test before you go on road trips, its not like they are flying commercial. MLB really hasnt been that bad.

MLB has been bad enough to make the choice between doing what they do and what the NHL and NBA do an easy one. You can bubble 31 teams if you change the way you schedule your games. While they aren't flying commercial, they're still utilizing public airports anyway so it's not as if traveling doesn't put them at significant risk anyway that given the options is unnecessary.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I have a hard time seeing them being able to justify cycling teams in and out of bubbles because it sort of defeats the purpose. Until they have an answer medicinally, they kind of have to limit that as much as they can which I would think means a divisions-only schedule for the time being. Do a 49 or 56 game schedule, probably 49 to account for an extended break from bubble play, then prepare the playoff bubbles and do what's going on this season.

It wouldn't be rotating in and out of the bubble. Just one big bubble per conference. Kind of like they are doing now with the playoffs. Just a few more teams.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It wouldn't be rotating in and out of the bubble. Just one big bubble per conference. Kind of like they are doing now with the playoffs. Just a few more teams.

hoho was suggesting cycling in and out of the bubble that you responded to. That's the part I take some issue with. I don't think that's feasible right now given the circumstances. I agree with expanding the bubble to encompass all teams for a season but they're going to have to sacrifice scheduling against all teams to do that reasonably.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
hoho was suggesting cycling in and out of the bubble that you responded to. That's the part I take some issue with. I don't think that's feasible right now given the circumstances. I agree with expanding the bubble to encompass all teams for a season but they're going to have to sacrifice scheduling against all teams to do that reasonably.
Yea not great but I don't know how they're going to handle continuous bubble life for the 6-8 months of the season. Bringing the families into the bubbles may be an option but those individuals generally have lives that aren't involved in hockey at all. Like Trouba's wife is a doctor and she's got better things to do than be stuck in a bubble for an extended period of time. There'll probably figure something out by then though. They managed to do something really good with these playoffs at the very least. Maybe conference bubbles for 2 months at a time with league wide intermission periods betweeb. And a single 2 month long swap for interconference matchups? The cycling in and out isn't great but that's all I can think of.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yea not great but I don't know how they're going to handle continuous bubble life for the 6-8 months of the season. Bringing the families into the bubbles may be an option but those individuals generally have lives that aren't involved in hockey at all. Like Trouba's wife is a doctor and she's got better things to do than be stuck in a bubble for an extended period of time. There'll probably figure something out by then though. They managed to do something really good with these playoffs at the very least. Maybe conference bubbles for 2 months at a time with league wide intermission periods betweeb. And a single 2 month long swap for interconference matchups? The cycling in and out isn't great but that's all I can think of.

Yeah, at minimum, bubble life for a season is like four months. These guys are struggling with a roughly two month bubble that we're only about halfway into for the ones still playing. I think bubble play is only going to be truly feasible if you give extended time off at certain intervals and go with a short season. Like the season should be cycled maybe where they're only playing like 49 games and they do three week stints of play, give them three weeks off to be with family then quarantine back into the bubble or something to that effect. That's going to be a five month season starting in December so through April before the playoffs. Playoffs start in mid-May without the play-in round. Should end in mid-July. They catch up to an extent to where they can expand on the regular season schedule for 21-22 but provided that they would still need to play bubble season at that point, would probably still only be able to play maybe 60 games? I don't know. They have to hope that they're given more freedom to play more games and hope that something happens that makes things possible to have fans for this to have any legs.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

But the AHL files commercial, as do call ups and demotion. Big cost increase if you require charter flights. Especially for the dozen independent (non-NHL owned) franchises.

There's also the issue of the Canadian border (including callups for Vancouver).

US and Canada will have to have border agreement. NHL and NBA minimum. (And the AHL teams in Canada nominally play US teams, and vice versa)

The NHL (and AHL, ECHL) depend on the gate (ticket sales) to make their finances work.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
(7.5 weeks to January 1 as of today)

OK. So, first the NHL season was rumored to start in December; then January 1. The AHL season, originally slated to start early December, is now announced for early February start.

The Sharks and the other 6 teams that did not participate in the Return to Play (RTP) have been promised "extra" training camp time.

This week, the NHL BOG will be meeting to discuss season, etc.

There have been rumors that the NHL will have a one-season divisional re-alignment, with all seven NHL teams playing each other.
Due to the continued closure of the US-Canada border, and the two week quarantine, there have been rumors that the three US-based AHL affiliates of their Canadian parents (Stockton/Calgary, Bakersfield/Edmonton, Utica/Vancouver) may relocate to Canada for the season. (Some have speculated they'd play in their NHL parent's arena; others throwing out junior/minor league arenas for games.)
(I've seen headlines that the US-Canada border won't be opening any time soon.)

One of the biggest issues is the closure of the border. Second is that many locations (still) don't have public allowed in arenas (or below break-even for attendance; VGK owner Foley indicated minimum 40% capacity to make it financially viable to play with public in attendance).

There have been rumors/headlines of divisional/regional hubs.

About the only thing agreed on is that it will be a compacted schedule (up to five games in a calendar week). 48 game schedule has been played with January start after labor issues in the past.

Season/playoffs "have" to end before Olympics (TV partners obligated to show games). And NHL/Bettman wants to do all possible for 2021-22 season and debut of Seattle Kraken to start "on time".

BOH thread on season: NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
(The ECHL has a mini league schedule start in December, with more teams participating starting in January. A handful of teams have chosen to be dormant for the season.)

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
(7.5 weeks to January 1 as of today)

OK. So, first the NHL season was rumored to start in December; then January 1. The AHL season, originally slated to start early December, is now announced for early February start.

The Sharks and the other 6 teams that did not participate in the Return to Play (RTP) have been promised "extra" training camp time.

This week, the NHL BOG will be meeting to discuss season, etc.

There have been rumors that the NHL will have a one-season divisional re-alignment, with all seven NHL teams playing each other.
Due to the continued closure of the US-Canada border, and the two week quarantine, there have been rumors that the three US-based AHL affiliates of their Canadian parents (Stockton/Calgary, Bakersfield/Edmonton, Utica/Vancouver) may relocate to Canada for the season. (Some have speculated they'd play in their NHL parent's arena; others throwing out junior/minor league arenas for games.)
(I've seen headlines that the US-Canada border won't be opening any time soon.)

One of the biggest issues is the closure of the border. Second is that many locations (still) don't have public allowed in arenas (or below break-even for attendance; VGK owner Foley indicated minimum 40% capacity to make it financially viable to play with public in attendance).

There have been rumors/headlines of divisional/regional hubs.

About the only thing agreed on is that it will be a compacted schedule (up to five games in a calendar week). 48 game schedule has been played with January start after labor issues in the past.

Season/playoffs "have" to end before Olympics (TV partners obligated to show games). And NHL/Bettman wants to do all possible for 2021-22 season and debut of Seattle Kraken to start "on time".

BOH thread on season: NHL 2020-2021 season start/schedule
I think we are in trouble in a new division. We know the sharks can beat out the Canadian teams, but adding legit cup contenders like Dallas and Colorado means we will be likely struggling for a wild card.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

If this is how the divisions shake out, I actually feel pretty decent about the sharks challenging for a wildcard spot or even a top 3 spot in our div.

I think Minnesota would be the team to beat out. Otherwise it should be SJ, ARZ, LA, and ANA duking it out for 1OA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->