2020-2021 season. When, how, etc

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
Sharks are going to have figure something out as far as Santa Clara County's ban on contact sports relatively soon if this is going to happen right?

Ive read speculation about Oakland and Vegas as our home arena....that would be weird. Any way we can find an Arena located somewhere in the middle of Div 2 and play there instead? :laugh:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Sharks are going to have figure something out as far as Santa Clara County's ban on contact sports relatively soon if this is going to happen right?

Ive read speculation about Oakland and Vegas as our home arena....that would be weird. Any way we can find an Arena located somewhere in the middle of Div 2 and play there instead? :laugh:

Unless they extend it, it is set to expire in 4 days

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I've read that the NHL has said that any team that needs to relocate will play (games) in an NHL arena.

I've also seen speculation that the Sharks (like the 49ers) will be heading to Arizona.

(Vegas may be the refuge for SoCal teams. Chargers and Rams may be sharing Allegiant Stadium with Raiders and UNLV.)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Vote could be coming early next week. Players might have to be quarantining by next Wednesday for training camps to open as proposed.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I've read that the NHL has said that any team that needs to relocate will play (games) in an NHL arena.

I've also seen speculation that the Sharks (like the 49ers) will be heading to Arizona.

(Vegas may be the refuge for SoCal teams. Chargers and Rams may be sharing Allegiant Stadium with Raiders and UNLV.)
Sharks should go to salt lake or someplace that's not a covid hotbed

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I’d rather implode like last year and end with a good pick than sneak into the playoffs and lose in 5.
High pick guarantees nothing. I feel like people who wish for that type of thing don't have experience rooting for a team going thru multiple seasons of suck. I much rather watch a team that battles and wins some games even if they go out in the first round.
If those are the divisions I think any realistic chance of of making it in is gone. Maybe we beat out Minnesota, but Vegas, Colorado, St. Louis, and Dallas? Not unless the injury gods destroy one of their seasosns.
Sharks can beat out Dallas and we'll have to see just how good those other teams really are after their offseasons. St Louis lost their captain. That's not nothing. Vegas is still trying to move out salary. If it's Pacioretty that's a lot of goals on the way out. Hopefully we get to find out who's right but I'm not writing this Sharks roster off as long as they aren't beset by injuries like last season.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Wild back in Blues out
Where did you see this?

News I found says Minn back in Central. They have no desire to play in western while St Louis is fine with it. So looks like the Sharks have their work cut out for them.

Just to be clear about Dallas... They had a slightly worse offense than the Sharks and they were great defensively but I expect the Sharks offensive numbers and GAA to improve dramatically. Sharks are actually more well rounded as far as the spread of talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Sharks can beat out Dallas and we'll have to see just how good those other teams really are after their offseasons. St Louis lost their captain. That's not nothing. Vegas is still trying to move out salary. If it's Pacioretty that's a lot of goals on the way out. Hopefully we get to find out who's right but I'm not writing this Sharks roster off as long as they aren't beset by injuries like last season.

Yeah, if Minnesota is in, the division is much more manegable, but even without that, I think people are severely over rating Dallas and Vegas.

Dallas is a solid team who I think will make the playoffs, but they are by no means unbeatable. They don't have the talent to consistently win games. Their defense and system keeps them in games, but without multiple guys stepping up and playing at unsustainable levels in big moments they don't make it out of the first round, let alone to the finals.

And Vegas, with the offseason they are having, both on paper and with locker room unrest, and PDB as their coach, they look like a strong candidate for implosion like what the Sharks had last year.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, if Minnesota is in, the division is much more manegable, but even without that, I think people are severely over rating Dallas and Vegas.

Dallas is a solid team who I think will make the playoffs, but they are by no means unbeatable. They don't have the talent to consistently win games. Their defense and system keeps them in games, but without multiple guys stepping up and playing at unsustainable levels in big moments they don't make it out of the first round, let alone to the finals.

And Vegas, with the offseason they are having, both on paper and with locker room unrest, and PDB as their coach, they look like a strong candidate for implosion like what the Sharks had last year.
Yeah I'm not sure Vegas comes out of the gate strong. Few teams with talent are going to have as big a chip on their shoulder as the Sharks when the games start again. I guess we'll see just how good this next generation of leadership is.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
High pick guarantees nothing. I feel like people who wish for that type of thing don't have experience rooting for a team going thru multiple seasons of suck. I much rather watch a team that battles and wins some games even if they go out in the first round.

The thing is injuries will happen. Not as bad as last year hopefully but they will. If Kane, couture, hertl, meier, miss significant time we are in a lot of trouble. We just don't have the pieces to step up.

As far as Dallas goes, I do think they significantly overperformed their talent level. That being said their floor is still a competitive playoff team. I dont think they miss the postseason.

As for us: I can get behind the idea we have a higher ceiling if things go right. But a lot has to roll our way.

1) Last years improvement in goaltending wanst a fluke once Boughner took over.

2) We stay mostly healthy this season. Given Karlsson and hertls history that's at least a real concern. Even Kane and Couture concern me.

3) Hertl comes back as the same player he was? I love him but those knees have been through the hell and I do not want a long extension with him once his contract is up. It's fair to wonder if he will start breaking down even more now.

4) Last year was just a down year for everyone. If it was instead just age starting to come into play for Burns, Couture and Vlassic, then that's it for us. Outside of Vlassic I'm actually fairly optimistic on this one, but it is a real concern.

5) Karlsson plays up to that contract. If he doesn't go from pretty good to amazing this will be a problem. I am extremely pessimistic on this last one.

I just don't see us hitting on all of these. Too much has to go right and for at least the next year or two we are trending downwards as an organization.

Reactions: Reggae Shark

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Dreger, LeBrun, etc., are reporting that divisions are NOT finalized. Thinking that decision is coming early next week, especially with the two week quarantine required for folks.

Saw Mario tweeted from Santa Cruz yesterday.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
The thing is injuries will happen. Not as bad as last year hopefully but they will. If Kane, couture, hertl, meier, miss significant time we are in a lot of trouble. We just don't have the pieces to step up.

As far as Dallas goes, I do think they significantly overperformed their talent level. That being said their floor is still a competitive playoff team. I dont think they miss the postseason.

As for us: I can get behind the idea we have a higher ceiling if things go right. But a lot has to roll our way.

1) Last years improvement in goaltending wanst a fluke once Boughner took over.

2) We stay mostly healthy this season. Given Karlsson and hertls history that's at least a real concern. Even Kane and Couture concern me.

3) Hertl comes back as the same player he was? I love him but those knees have been through the hell and I do not want a long extension with him once his contract is up. It's fair to wonder if he will start breaking down even more now.

4) Last year was just a down year for everyone. If it was instead just age starting to come into play for Burns, Couture and Vlassic, then that's it for us. Outside of Vlassic I'm actually fairly optimistic on this one, but it is a real concern.

5) Karlsson plays up to that contract. If he doesn't go from pretty good to amazing this will be a problem. I am extremely pessimistic on this last one.

I just don't see us hitting on all of these. Too much has to go right and for at least the next year or two we are trending downwards as an organization.
I agree with most of this but the type of longer term injuries (#2) the Sharks have endured in recent years aren't typical, or at least hadn't been for San Jose. That luck should turn around IMO. Also I don't know why Kane made your list. Since coming to SJ he hasn't missed hardly any games at all. Probably been suspended more than he's been out with injury. Even counting both, his game totals are pretty great for someone who plays with the edge and physicality that he does. Everyone made a huge deal about it when he was traded here but reality hasn't born that paranoia out. He missed 6 game last season and 7 the season before and some of those were suspensions not injuries. Couture and his incredible run of bad luck and brittle bones is a far more realistic person to worry about. For me the worry in order of most to least is Hertl, (huge gap) then Couture & EK65, (huge gap) then the rest of the roster. Kane doesn't make that list at this point.

#1 is a gimme IMO. I think The sharks are getting league average goaltending or better next season.

As far as #3. Hertl is young still. ACL surgery isn't the career killer it was 30 years ago. He's big and strong and this time he rehabbed knowing exactly how to do it and he had almost a year between games which is huge! That's more than half the battle. I had 10 surgeries, all hockey related, and after the first couple I knew how hard I could push and what I needed to do to get back to playing as fast as possible. Some of the later arthroscopic surgeries I was on the stationary bike the night I got back from surgery and was back to playing games within 14 days. I was older than Hertl for almost all of these. Hertl has trainers and a multimillion dollar organization dedicated to getting him back on the ice. He'll be fine. The bigger concern is re-injury. His legs should be incredibly strong though from all the extra work so he should be more resilient at least in the short term.

#4, also a gimme. The only guys old enough for age to be a factor are Burns and Vlasic. Burns clearly started pouting and became disinterested about half way thru. Pretty sure he led the team in scoring for the first month or 2. Vlasic can be benched or put on the 3rd pair. There are guys ready to steal his minutes if he chooses to suck. Every one else is 31 or under. That ain't old. Age won't be the reason this team fails.

#5, his is the real difference in perception. I don't think he has to "live up to his contract". None of the guys making that money do that. McDavid isn't even the best forward on his team on many nights. If EK65 plays 25 to 30 minutes a night and puts up .7 + points a game and isn't a train wreck defensively he'll be fine. Now if he looks like he did in the 20 game stretch in his first season, he'll easily be "worth it". If him and Burns are both going this team will be hard to defend, especially with the 3 power forwards they have on the top 2 lines.

So for me it's really all about #2. I think everything else takes care of itself naturally if they don't have 3 of their best players out like last season.

Last edited:

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I don't see how you can make two nhl teams in one arena with one practice facility work. If the nhl is really set on that it seems odd unless it's simply due to travel concerns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad