2019 OHL Draft Prospects

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
They have lists all year. Just not free like Prospect Pipeline. Might want to check the quality over quantity and accuracy too. Some players far too low, far too high. Justin O'Donnell #124? Red Savage #140? Caden Brown #160? A lot of glaring misses

I find this amusing on a few factors.

1) I believe prospect pipelines mentioned they collaborated with TheScout.ca for the final 300 list. I can't prove it because the "week warning" from prospect pipelines has been deleted. (unless im missing it entirely)

2) Not that opinions are actually wrong, (you can call them wrong in 4 years.) but discussing 'glaring errors' in a ranking list that projects an opinion of where a player should be drafted is a glaring error in itself. Your opinion would be no better or worse. Red Savage at 140? Decent player, but he's also verbally committed to Miami. His skill set could potentially make him higher, if someone sees a high ceiling he could go top 40.... they may also see an NCAA commitment and not get drafted at all. Slotting him somewhere between 40-300 is accurate. ;)

3) Despite what my point 2 states, im gonna play your game of "look at the glaring errors." Here we go:

Scout.ca has Daniel Michaud going 9 overall. This is based entirely off a history of a GM taking a big power center. However the next pick, 10th overall, Owen Sound is Wyatt Johnston. This is now based off the player, and even says there is no recent history of a GTHL forward going to Owen Sound in the first round. So were basing things off a past history, but were also not.

Logan Mallioux not mentioned at all as a possible first rounder.

There is a decent history of GTHL kids with NCAA commitments actually going through with them, and USA kids with NCAA commitments, not, and going OHL. Yet here we are, with London taking Roman Schmidt, and not Dylan Gratton, Luke Hughes, Dylan Duke or Sasha Pastujov. BTW... if Im Mark Hunter, Im taking Pastujov with 33, not Roman Schmidt with 20. London wants a Dman with first round, they take Mallioux (Id almost guess he's gone by then). Then Pastujov with a second.

I'm also questioning the Stillman to Sudbury first round thing here. I get the connection... I know that's exactly why its there. However, based on connection, like London, why are they using a first to get him? Even if the NCAA commitment is a rouse to get him to fall in the draft, why are the using a first?!?!? You'd half expect if its a tactic, that they'd want him to at least fall to second round. Because some other team may get him? NCAA free ride to education. Sudbury picks at 25. There's a lot of names other teams won't want to miss out on just to mess with Cory Stillman and his kid.

AlKradd

Apr 3, 2019

I find this amusing on a few factors.

1) I believe prospect pipelines mentioned they collaborated with TheScout.ca for the final 300 list. I can't prove it because the "week warning" from prospect pipelines has been deleted. (unless im missing it entirely)

2) Not that opinions are actually wrong, (you can call them wrong in 4 years.) but discussing 'glaring errors' in a ranking list that projects an opinion of where a player should be drafted is a glaring error in itself. Your opinion would be no better or worse. Red Savage at 140? Decent player, but he's also verbally committed to Miami. His skill set could potentially make him higher, if someone sees a high ceiling he could go top 40.... they may also see an NCAA commitment and not get drafted at all. Slotting him somewhere between 40-300 is accurate. ;)

3) Despite what my point 2 states, im gonna play your game of "look at the glaring errors." Here we go:

Scout.ca has Daniel Michaud going 9 overall. This is based entirely off a history of a GM taking a big power center. However the next pick, 10th overall, Owen Sound is Wyatt Johnston. This is now based off the player, and even says there is no recent history of a GTHL forward going to Owen Sound in the first round. So were basing things off a past history, but were also not.

Logan Mallioux not mentioned at all as a possible first rounder.

There is a decent history of GTHL kids with NCAA commitments actually going through with them, and USA kids with NCAA commitments, not, and going OHL. Yet here we are, with London taking Roman Schmidt, and not Dylan Gratton, Luke Hughes, Dylan Duke or Sasha Pastujov. BTW... if Im Mark Hunter, Im taking Pastujov with 33, not Roman Schmidt with 20. London wants a Dman with first round, they take Mallioux (Id almost guess he's gone by then). Then Pastujov with a second.

I'm also questioning the Stillman to Sudbury first round thing here. I get the connection... I know that's exactly why its there. However, based on connection, like London, why are they using a first to get him? Even if the NCAA commitment is a rouse to get him to fall in the draft, why are the using a first?!?!? You'd half expect if its a tactic, that they'd want him to at least fall to second round. Because some other team may get him? NCAA free ride to education. Sudbury picks at 25. There's a lot of names other teams won't want to miss out on just to mess with Cory Stillman and his kid.

Not sure where you are going with any of that really? Rankings are different than Mock Drafts. They have Michaud going 9th in the Draft, but he isn't in their top 10 overall rankings, so what is your point on that exactly? Mock Drafts are basically a guess unless someone has some serious inside information. And there has never been anything about a collaboration.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Not sure where you are going with any of that really? Rankings are different than Mock Drafts. They have Michaud going 9th in the Draft, but he isn't in their top 10 overall rankings, so what is your point on that exactly? Mock Drafts are basically a guess unless someone has some serious inside information. And there has never been anything about a collaboration.

how would you know if theres no collabration with the two? perhaps beacuse your involved with one?

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Love these free rankings and mock drafts. Nothing wrong with any of them. Gives fans an idea of the skill level of these players that most never see on the ice. It's all good stuff.

exactly.

the only ones who have issues it would appear are dads and other sites.

good for prospect pipeline, hope they keep it up next year, i disagree with some statments but the effort and work has been awesome

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019

There was a post from Prospect Pipelines stating what to expect next week (this week). The Top 300/Top Goalies/and mock draft were discussed, as well as working with TheScout.ca on something. The date was March 27th or 28th.

Visiting the twitter feed, it seems that I am correct on that, however what the collaboration was, was a tad off. The Mock draft posted by OHL Prospects was discussed between them, Pipelines, and Ryan Stacey of the Scout.ca.

As far as calling a mock draft a guess, and personal final rankings accurate (barring glaring errors due to difference of opinion) is a very unfortunate display of poor judgement. The Scouts final rankings are very much the same thing as a mock draft. It displays where each player should be drafted (in their own opinion) ignoring variables such as positional needs and future intentions.

On that, a mock draft is made up using their best guesses based off those same variables. Similarly to the rankings however, the opinions of TheScout.ca are very much the same as spitballing with friends. You can agree, or not agree with the rankings, but in the end one of 3 things can happen when you disagree with someone's opinion.

1) You can be right
2) You can be wrong
3) you and that someone can be wrong.

The best part about having discussions with scouts, is that the scouts don't actually call your opinion wrong. They embrace it, and look for it next time.

There's never a wrong answer for how a player is viewed when being projected. Ask any scout.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

There was a post from Prospect Pipelines stating what to expect next week (this week). The Top 300/Top Goalies/and mock draft were discussed, as well as working with TheScout.ca on something. The date was March 27th or 28th.

Visiting the twitter feed, it seems that I am correct on that, however what the collaboration was, was a tad off. The Mock draft posted by OHL Prospects was discussed between them, Pipelines, and Ryan Stacey of the Scout.ca.

As far as calling a mock draft a guess, and personal final rankings accurate (barring glaring errors due to difference of opinion) is a very unfortunate display of poor judgement. The Scouts final rankings are very much the same thing as a mock draft. It displays where each player should be drafted (in their own opinion) ignoring variables such as positional needs and future intentions.

On that, a mock draft is made up using their best guesses based off those same variables. Similarly to the rankings however, the opinions of TheScout.ca are very much the same as spitballing with friends. You can agree, or not agree with the rankings, but in the end one of 3 things can happen when you disagree with someone's opinion.

1) You can be right
2) You can be wrong
3) you and that someone can be wrong.

The best part about having discussions with scouts, is that the scouts don't actually call your opinion wrong. They embrace it, and look for it next time.

There's never a wrong answer for how a player is viewed when being projected. Ask any scout.
Most posters on here enjoy this thread and want it to continue each year. You for some reason seem to be bent on proving the information wrong. You do seem very knowledgeable about these players so why not start a different thread to discuss your views. People talk to scouts about the upcoming draft. Those scouts all have different opinions on many players. One man's bread is another's poison. Even the scouts get it wrong on many occasions. My point is posters are immensely pleased with this free information and want it to continue.

bardownNorth

Apr 1, 2019
Most posters on here enjoy this thread and want it to continue each year. You for some reason seem to be bent on proving the information wrong. You do seem very knowledgeable about these players so why not start a different thread to discuss your views. People talk to scouts about the upcoming draft. Those scouts all have different opinions on many players. One man's bread is another's poison. Even the scouts get it wrong on many occasions. My point is posters are immensely pleased with this free information and want it to continue.

As a Jr Hockey fan I enjoy the articles and insight. Prospect pipline is a welcome addition to groups talking Jr Hockey and up and coming players. While I dont agree sometimes with opinions, they are just that opinions. Whether it is TheScout, Hockeyprospects or Neutralzone, they are all covering hockey. Paid or free, well we all enjoy free content, (being the internet, everything is copied and posted for free anyways) we will see who is most correct tomorrow.

Reactions: Gondrex and dirty12

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
need some help here. Who is erie picking?
1 and 2 are locks
4 should be clarke
5 should be lockhart
so McTavish goes to ? Not erie?
Does newport like Windsor?

Last edited:

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019

So wait a minute... You’re telling me that I’m bent on proving ‘information wrong’ because I told someone that he shouldn’t call someone’s opinion a “glaring error.”

You realize you’ve quoted me saying how opinions are warranted and not wrong, yet tell me I’m hell bent on proving people wrong right?
You realize I’ve asked people about their views on players and why they’re ranked so high in those eyes not for the sake of scrutiny but for simple knowledge and understanding.

I’ve got opinions, and I’m willing to share info. I entirely understand it’s free and people enjoy it. I also enjoy coming here and seeing people’s own opinions as it’s just like another resource to form an opinion. I may not agree on some, but I will never call someone’s opinion wrong, unlike the poster I was talking to, and you seem to be defending.

Reactions: dirty12

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
So wait a minute... You’re telling me that I’m bent on proving ‘information wrong’ because I told someone that he shouldn’t call someone’s opinion a “glaring error.”

You realize you’ve quoted me saying how opinions are warranted and not wrong, yet tell me I’m hell bent on proving people wrong right?
You realize I’ve asked people about their views on players and why they’re ranked so high in those eyes not for the sake of scrutiny but for simple knowledge and understanding.

I’ve got opinions, and I’m willing to share info. I entirely understand it’s free and people enjoy it. I also enjoy coming here and seeing people’s own opinions as it’s just like another resource to form an opinion. I may not agree on some, but I will never call someone’s opinion wrong, unlike the poster I was talking to, and you seem to be defending.
Not defending any poster. People are entitled to their opinions. Every year as the OHL draft gets closer fans are hungry for information on the players eligible for the draft. Some scouting reports want fans to pay for the information. Here we have people willing to post all that information free of charge which all of us find refreshing and educating. My concern is if posters on a social platform like this start to disagree with what they are doing we will lose this informative free information.Their are a very small percentage of fans that see these eligible players. The only time I would see them now is after they are drafted at the Gold Cup and maybe a rookie camp. Nice to here some scouting reports before hand that I don't have to get my wallet out.

Reactions: Gondrex and dirty12

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Does anyone know if there will be a live audio stream of the draft? If so, can you provide a link? I will be driving during the draft and it makes more sense to use data for audio than the live video from the OHL.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Not defending any poster. People are entitled to their opinions. Every year as the OHL draft gets closer fans are hungry for information on the players eligible for the draft. Some scouting reports want fans to pay for the information. Here we have people willing to post all that information free of charge which all of us find refreshing and educating. My concern is if posters on a social platform like this start to disagree with what they are doing we will lose this informative free information.Their are a very small percentage of fans that see these eligible players. The only time I would see them now is after they are drafted at the Gold Cup and maybe a rookie camp. Nice to here some scouting reports before hand that I don't have to get my wallet out.

I can agree with you. I see nothing to debate in your motives or thoughts. I was more confused how it was me crushing others opinions on players. Like I said, I have my opinions, I may not agree with them in its entirety. The other poster was saying Prospect Pipelines (the free content) had glaring errors in their final rankings.

Reactions: dirty12

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Anyone able to give a good report and/or comparable on Landon McCallum? What'd the Wolves get with him?

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Anyone able to give a good report and/or comparable on Landon McCallum? What'd the Wolves get with him?
He’s a smaller stature center who helps qb a powerplay. Smooth skating, great vision, playmaking center who can get under the skin of the opponent while still driving the play forward. Can make players around him better. Defensively responsible, sometimes looks like he’s coasting in first gear, but watches the play and reads it, and turns on the jets when required.

Gavin Chiasson

Jan 15, 2019
Let's go! 3 Northern Ontario players who were drafted in the first round, and 4 taken within the first 25 picks! Gaudreau, Punnett, Matier, Stillman!

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Does anyone know if there will be a live audio stream of the draft? If so, can you provide a link? I will be driving during the draft and it makes more sense to use data for audio than the live video from the OHL.
Sorry I just noticed that was U18 draft link.

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
He’s Canadian. Born in Swiss when his father was playing there and then grew up in Canada. The US is a typo.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
any thoughts? who did well/poorly? points of interest. Lets discuss!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad