2019 OHL Draft Prospects

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
They didn't wait that long for Stranges - 21st. They had another pick at 23rd too, so obviously were happy to get him at 21.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I would be shocked if Sudbury takes Stillman at 15th pick. He is rated mid second round 32. With picks 24 and 25 that is where he should go. Unwritten rule no team would take him before that, if it were to happen he will go the college route.

Reactions: AnonymousHockey

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I am arguing they might do things differently this year - thus it also makes my point.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I am arguing they might do things differently this year - thus it also makes my point.

but the example you used proved my point lol. they may, but people predict london taking ncaa guys every year in the 1st, it never happens. there is no proof that this year will be any different

Reactions: aresknights

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
There is no proof either way. Until there is.

the percentage of ncaa kids mock drafted to london in the 1st round (it seems to happen every year) the last 10 years and it actually playing out that way is 0 percent, ill play those odds :). you could be right, but if were handycapping it, the odds are significantly stacked against you.

Gavin Chiasson

Jan 15, 2019
TheScout.ca has had by far the best content this year and the past few years. Tons of accurate content, very active on twitter. Looks like they have upwards to 40 or so interviews with players too which no other site has. You must not be looking in the right spot.
the interviews are cool yes, but as stated earlier, almost never made lists like ProspectPipeline did, still my #2 choice, but they weren't very active this year on their site, and as Torgo said, lost of bunch of people who worked for them, which probably was the reason this year they didn't do much.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
given the history of the family, why on earth would anyone think that hughes was going to the ohl. if any hughes was going to come, it would have been the other two. going to the program worked so well for the first two, why would they change course now?

i think the london ncaa stuff is overplayed, at least in the 1st round. they have taken ontario kids almost always. its been 5 years since they took an ncaa kid in jones, and he wasnt even a true ncaa kid, he wasnt committed anywhere. i dont think theyve ever taken a true ncaa kid in the 1st round? after the 1st sure, but not in the 1st.

Jack applied for exceptional status to the OHL. The intentions were there of him playing OHL. He was denied. Interestingly, Matt Savoie applied to the CHL for EPS, and was also denied. It took him mere days to take exception and commit to an NCAA program. Quinn and Jack both played their draft seasons in the GTHL, while Luke has more grown already in the HPL. I personally think it's very open if Luke would go OHL, particularly if he is in fact drafted by London, a team whos prestige rivals that of USNTDP. Quinn's option was to play for Sarnia, while Jack was taken by Mississauga, where he played Bantam hockey. If Jack had the option to play for London, I could only assume he'd have taken it. If any Hughes is going to play in the OHL, depending on where his rights land, I'd believe it would be Luke.

Also, Max Jones was committed to USNTDP. He said he was playing there, that is until The Knights began their recruiting strategy, and also got commitment from Tkachuk (not a first rounder)

Last edited:

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
but he wasn’t their first pick , your kinda making my point:D

I don't agree that Stranges being taken at 21 means they didn't wait long. 21 is still a second round, meaning they took a prospect first round still. Picking 23 means there was one player coming off the board before later pick that they certainly could have used on stranges. I think the case here was simple, Stranges was the player they felt more likely to be taken with the next pick, even if "more likely" means Next to no chance, rather than no chance.

If I have 2 picks and one team between, it really doesn't matter which order I take them, unless I know for sure that other team wants one of my guys bad. It's highly likely Stranges would have passed 22nd pick, however, London's next pick after wasn't until 42. Pretty confident another team takes a flyer on him, or forces London's hand with a second rounder or early 3rd. You always take your guy as late as you possible can.

Oddly, not a strategy Hunter used in Toronto, taking someone like a 20year old Korshkov with a high second, when he's ranked in the later rounds.

Fun Fact, Not one second rounder belongs to its original owner. Last year, there was 1.

Reactions: hockeynorth

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don't agree that Stranges being taken at 21 means they didn't wait long. 21 is still a second round, meaning they took a prospect first round still. Picking 23 means there was one player coming off the board before later pick that they certainly could have used on stranges. I think the case here was simple, Stranges was the player they felt more likely to be taken with the next pick, even if "more likely" means Next to no chance, rather than no chance.

If I have 2 picks and one team between, it really doesn't matter which order I take them, unless I know for sure that other team wants one of my guys bad. It's highly likely Stranges would have passed 22nd pick, however, London's next pick after wasn't until 42. Pretty confident another team takes a flyer on him, or forces London's hand with a second rounder or early 3rd. You always take your guy as late as you possible can.

Oddly, not a strategy Hunter used in Toronto, taking someone like a 20year old Korshkov with a high second, when he's ranked in the later rounds.

Fun Fact, Not one second rounder belongs to its original owner. Last year, there was 1.

Flint took Power 22. It is likely they preferred Stranges.

AlKradd

Apr 3, 2019
the interviews are cool yes, but as stated earlier, almost never made lists like ProspectPipeline did, still my #2 choice, but they weren't very active this year on their site, and as Torgo said, lost of bunch of people who worked for them, which probably was the reason this year they didn't do much.

They have lists all year. Just not free like Prospect Pipeline. Might want to check the quality over quantity and accuracy too. Some players far too low, far too high. Justin O'Donnell #124? Red Savage #140? Caden Brown #160? A lot of glaring misses

Reactions: hockeynorth

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
One of our final prospect profiles of the 2018-19 season examines the play of Toronto Red Wings forward Nolan Dann -- a tireless skater and workhorse-style player who can contribute at both ends of the ice. As a smooth-skater with natural offensive instincts, Dann can push the pace of the game for his team as well as secure his own zone in a variety of situations. All in all, Dann is a well-rounded player whose approach should allow him to enjoy considerable success at the OHL-level in the future.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
They have lists all year. Just not free like Prospect Pipeline. Might want to check the quality over quantity and accuracy too. Some players far too low, far too high. Justin O'Donnell #124? Red Savage #140? Caden Brown #160? A lot of glaring misses

maybe it’s just me but an account created to defend one site and attack another isn’t a good look.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
maybe it’s just me but an account created to defend one site and attack another isn’t a good look.

While I can agree with your comment, these lists (not just Prospect Pipeline) have some glaring errors. The accuracy of these lists drops off very quickly after the 3rd or 4th round.

For the most part, these lists are entertainment and gossip for parents and fans. Teams have their own views, and those are the ones that matter.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
While I can agree with your comment, these lists (not just Prospect Pipeline) have some glaring errors. The accuracy of these lists drops off very quickly after the 3rd or 4th round.

For the most part, these lists are entertainment and gossip for parents and fans. Teams have their own views, and those are the ones that matter.

well as mentioned above, team hire guys off the sites all the time, so I’m not sure that’s entirely accurate. I have no personal experience but from what my friends tell me, you’d be surprised too see some team lists, you’d probably say the same thing about them. relax, they do a good job and at the end of the day, your kids ability gets him drafted

AlKradd

Apr 3, 2019

I wasn't aware that defending something/someone isn't something that happens on a message board? Hmm I must be seeing different things.

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
well as mentioned above, team hire guys off the sites all the time, so I’m not sure that’s entirely accurate. I have no personal experience but from what my friends tell me, you’d be surprised too see some team lists, you’d probably say the same thing about them. relax, they do a good job and at the end of the day, your kids ability gets him drafted

You're reinforcing my point. I have no doubt that I would be surprised by OHL team lists, but I wouldn't say the same thing about them. The OHL teams make the final call. Everything else is just speculation.

The fact is that the speculation gets worse (i.e. less accurate) the further down you go in the draft list. Scouts, advisors, coaches, players, and parents all know that. It's not to say they don't have the right kids on the list, but as you go further down, the deviation between a speculated draft order vs. actual draft order (+ or -) gets bigger. This is simple Stats 101.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
You're reinforcing my point. I have no doubt that I would be surprised by OHL team lists, but I wouldn't say the same thing about them. The OHL teams make the final call. Everything else is just speculation.

The fact is that the speculation gets worse (i.e. less accurate) the further down you go in the draft list. Scouts, advisors, coaches, players, and parents all know that. It's not to say they don't have the right kids on the list, but as you go further down, the deviation between a speculated draft order vs. actual draft order (+ or -) gets bigger. This is simple Stats 101.

you said glaring errors, your post here shows that statement was silly, there are no real errors, it’s their opinion. you can ageee or disagree but as we’ve both agreed too, there is a vide variance on lists from team to team, there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’. end of the day they are offering a free public service of their opinions that ohl fans seem to appreciate, which for an ohl fan board probably is good enough

Reactions: OSA and BigBuck

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Could someone post the final ratings going into Saturday, all rounds.

The mock draft page would have scattered reports on the top 3-4 rounds but beyond that all 15 rounds and 300+ plus picks are like playing the lottery usually past top 5 rounds or 100 or so picks, it usually comes down to individual assets that teams see in players available.

Not to also count that to project 300+ picks would take longer then then even the draft process itself, I've never heard of any draft list that projects all 15 rounds or 300+ picks to ever exist and I've been a fan for 20+ years and over 20+ seasons. The draft guide would be the closest thing to projecting the players in all rounds but even still what you're asking on all 15 rounds would be near impossible to accumulate as every team changes their draft lists thousands of times from one round to the next.

Each team has their own top 5, 10, 20, 50, 100, lists on who they want but those change very fast and once the 1st overall pick is off the board scouting staffs will adjust and adjust again depending who they have available to pick where they pick, and who they believe they can get.

Most projection lists are just a rough at this point and will give a rough overview of who scouts think managers will pick, but once 9 a.m. Saturday morning hits and the teams start selecting kids those lists will mean absolutely nothing not because the kids aren't good but more due to the fact of who will pick who and if a team gets a certain kid ahead of your team then managers have to pick the next best available player who they believe to be the best at the number.

So to answer you question the final ratings or ratings in general play very little into all the rounds of the draft and would become irrelevant data until Saturday.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I wasn't aware that defending something/someone isn't something that happens on a message board? Hmm I must be seeing different things.

point taken by me seemed that defending your pay site while attacking free ratings is not a good look. It’s not a good look, imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad