2019 OHL Draft Prospects

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Question, I noticed that like 6 of the top 10 are from Don Mills Flyers. How is that possible? Good recruitment? Or did everyone good decide to join them? Or just a generational year?

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Question, I noticed that like 6 of the top 10 are from Don Mills Flyers. How is that possible? Good recruitment? Or did everyone good decide to join them? Or just a generational year?

With the exception of Roman Schmidt (#36), all of the high end players on Don Mills were recruited from outside of the GTHL:
#1 Shane Wright is from Burlington
#2 Brennan Othmann is from Pickering
#4 Brandt Clarke is from Ottawa
#9 Liam Arbsby is from Ajax
#27 Francesco Arcuri is from Kleinburg
#38 Paul Christopoulos is from Richmond Hill
#50 Alex Christopoulos is from Richmond Hill
#97 Payton Robinson is from Burlington

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
With the exception of Roman Schmidt (#36), all of the high end players on Don Mills were recruited from outside of the GTHL:
#1 Shane Wright is from Burlington
#2 Brennan Othmann is from Pickering
#4 Brandt Clarke is from Ottawa
#9 Liam Arbsby is from Ajax
#27 Francesco Arcuri is from Kleinburg
#38 Paul Christopoulos is from Richmond Hill
#50 Alex Christopoulos is from Richmond Hill
#97 Payton Robinson is from Burlington

sorry but please add Roman Schmidt to that list he played in the HEO area till Minor Bantam moved to Rebels minor midget because he could play up a year. Switched to Don Mills at minor midget.

In peewee the best three teams in Ontario were Don Mills, Ottawa Valley Titans, Ottawa Senators. Please look at the top rounds of the draft and you will see most players came from those 3 teams.
Don Mills recruited very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: ktownhockey

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
sorry but Roman Scmidt played in the HEO area till minor Bantam moved to Rebels minor midget because he could play up a year. Switched to Don Mills at minor midget.

In peewee the best three teams in Ontario were Don Mills, Ottawa Valley Titans, Ottawa Senators. Please look at the top rounds of the draft and you will see most players came from those 3 teams.

12 of the top players in the first two rounds picks played on the top 3 peewee teams in ontario 2 of the 3 are from the ottawa area were you play were you reside.
just an observation.

Last edited:

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
sorry but Roman Scmidt played in the HEO area till minor Bantam moved to Rebels minor midget because he could play up a year. Switched to Don Mills at minor midget.

I’m just going off the hometowns listed on the league draft site — obviously, as you point out (Schmidt), some had to move to join DMF.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
bookmarked, would be more fun if you spat some hot takes and we can revisit them in 2 years.

canucks20

Oct 12, 2009
who are the 5 best players not picked in today ohl draft?

Caught Quinte a few times this year and I am very surprised LaPalm and Zack Brooks weren't taken. Other than Michaud, I thought Brooks stood out every game I watched

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
How about Tbone Codd?
You mean Davis Codd? Anyone can chose a nickname.

The entire team has spent the last 3 years together (minimum), save the aforementioned Roman Schmidt, and Francesco Accuri. Both had joined the team this year. Both Goaltenders also joined this year.

Players that left, were Jesse Fishman, Jack Guvenal (Miss. Rebels) Robert Andreakos (Miss. Reps)

Regardless where they were born. There are plenty of reasons why they end up playing in Don Mills. Outside of the parental aspect (Job x2, moved in other family members, just moved, etc etc) the players could have been offered more ice time, or even just a slot on the roster if they were cut elsewhere.

Reactions: Gondrex and dirty12

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
who are the 5 best players not picked in today ohl draft?

Without having seen a huge number of players that weren't drafted. There are also a number of players I have seen that I didn't get a chance to fully profile. Of my 65 (forward) profiles completed, 4 of them went undrafted.
C Nick Mazza, Chatham-Kent Cyclones
W Joshua Cini, Mississauga Rebels
W Dylan Richardson, Guelph Jr Gryphons - Edit, totally missed him getting drafted to Hamilton
W Dominic Cassillo, Buffalo Regals (SCTA)

Other notable forwards whom I didn't rank (reasons that I knew they wouldn't get drafted).
Gabriel Piccolo - Windsor Zone
Henry Turner - Guelph Gryphons
J. McDonald - Buffalo Regals
Matt Dimaline - Cambridge Hawks
Tarabh Nolan - Toronto Nats
Spence Marler - Hamilton Huskies

4/34 Fully profiled Defenders not drafted.
Jonah Copre - Chicago Misson
Therien Theising - Chicago Misson
Ethan Broderick - Guelph Gryphons
Callahan Reesor - Brantford 99ers

Notable Defense whom I did not rank.
Dom Derenda - Buffalo Regals
David Palmer - Hamilton Bulldogs
Angelo Ducsio - Kitchener Jr. Rangers

Goalie Sam Moncada was surprisingly not drafted. His talent in goal, is top tier. He stole the GTHL prospects game from Shane Wright & Co. Its evident that his small frame (a couple listings between 5'7-5'9... generously) were a good reason he remains undrafted. Unless there is a college commitment no body is aware of I suppose.

Kitchener's draft in my Opinion is sneaky good.
Kitchener could have a strong 1/2 punch up the middle with a good finisher in McIntosh. Wu could be a potentially strong starter while Roman Schmidt (if he comes) and Joseph Blackley could give them the offensive firepower from the back end.

Last edited:
Reactions: SYWTom and LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017

Without having seen a huge number of players that weren't drafted. There are also a number of players I have seen that I didn't get a chance to fully profile. Of my 65 (forward) profiles completed, 4 of them went undrafted.
C Nick Mazza, Chatham-Kent Cyclones
W Joshua Cini, Mississauga Rebels
W Dylan Richardson, Guelph Jr Gryphons
W Dominic Cassillo, Buffalo Regals (SCTA)

Other notable forwards whom I didn't rank (reasons that I knew they wouldn't get drafted).
Gabriel Piccolo - Windsor Zone
Henry Turner - Guelph Gryphons
J. McDonald - Buffalo Regals
Matt Dimaline - Cambridge Hawks
Tarabh Nolan - Toronto Nats
Spence Marler - Hamilton Huskies

4/34 Fully profiled Defenders not drafted.
Jonah Copre - Chicago Misson
Therien Theising - Chicago Misson
Ethan Broderick - Guelph Gryphons
Callahan Reesor - Brantford 99ers

Notable Defense whom I did not rank.
Dom Derenda - Buffalo Regals
David Palmer - Hamilton Bulldogs
Angelo Ducsio - Kitchener Jr. Rangers

Goalie Sam Moncada was surprisingly not drafted. His talent in goal, is top tier. He stole the GTHL prospects game from Shane Wright & Co. Its evident that his small frame (a couple listings between 5'7-5'9... generously) were a good reason he remains undrafted. Unless there is a college commitment no body is aware of I suppose.

Kitchener's draft in my Opinion is sneaky good.
Kitchener could have a strong 1/2 punch up the middle with a good finisher in McIntosh. Wu could be a potentially strong starter while Roman Schmidt (if he comes) and Joseph Blackley could give them the offensive firepower from the back end.

Can these players be invited to camp? Or signed as free agents?

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Can these players be invited to camp? Or signed as free agents?
A player must pass through 2 drafts to be signed directly by an OHL team.
4 players were just drafted in the 19 OHL priority, with 02 birth years. U18 draft is only open to those players playing in HC sanctioned league. HEO, NOHA, GTHL, ETA, SCTA or Alliance.

Reactions: LDN

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
What players shouldn’t have got drafted? Or what players were taken too high? I think Arnsby was taken too early. Sorry.

Gavin Chiasson

Jan 15, 2019
IMO Flint had a really good draft, so did Peterborough and Barrie IMO.
Players that should have been drafted from the north: Teegan Dumont, Jake Marois/Patrick Boivin and Jake Kovacs.
Not sure about the other leagues on players who should have been drafted, but I was hoping to see Steve Li from Don Mills get drafted.
Very surprised that only 1 defenseman was taken from the Sudbury Squad. When Kavanagh was out, Teegan Dumont stepped up as their number 1 D and really played well, sure he isn't the greatest skater, but he can body kids, delivers a wicked shot and make pretty smart plays in the offensive end. Not too mention he was almost a 1 PPG as a defence.
Same with Jake Kovacs from the Sault. Gotta feel bad for him. Led the team in scoring, didn't get picked by any team even though 3 other players from the Sault made it. He was the only one beside Matier to put up more than a 1PPG avg

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
What players shouldn’t have got drafted? Or what players were taken too high? I think Arnsby was taken too early. Sorry.
You and I, we can run together on the unpopular opinions. I dont agree with Arnsby, I felt he's drafted where he should be, but feel free to tell me why you think he wasn't.

My unpopular opinions:
- Clarke is highly skilled. I question loyalties. He a team player or a me player?
- Del Mastro should have been lower, while Mallioux should have been higher. Mailloux rivals Clarkes skill set. His Hockey IQ doesn't compare though. His defensive game lacks because of this. You can teach defense. You cant teach skill. Where Mallioux lacks, Del Mastro excels.
- The past history of Goalies in the first round is not good. Doesn't matter what draft, you dont take a goalie first round unless he's a surefire. Gaudreau is good... but is he 7th overall good? The second goalie to go, was Roy Pejcinovski at dedicated 74. Homer Gibson soon after. Drobac, Wu, and Rosenzweig were 6t rounders. Moncada undrafted <--------------------!!!!!!!!
- Owen Sound taking Deni Goure at 10 was a reach imo. Kaleb Lawrence was a steal though so it balances.

Just my opinions, as I've said. Feel free to disagree with me. I welcome other opinions.

Mar 12, 2009
Unless I'm mistaken, I found it interesting that the 2nd, 3rd and 4th picked goalies in the draft were not ranked in the top 20 or the 15 HM goalie list put out by the site most people here used for prospect info.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
sorry but please add Roman Schmidt to that list he played in the HEO area till Minor Bantam moved to Rebels minor midget because he could play up a year. Switched to Don Mills at minor midget.

You are 100 percent correct. I had the pleasure of coaching against all 3 over my years coaching this age group. The results weren't great lol

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
You and I, we can run together on the unpopular opinions. I dont agree with Arnsby, I felt he's drafted where he should be, but feel free to tell me why you think he wasn't.

My unpopular opinions:
- Clarke is highly skilled. I question loyalties. He a team player or a me player?
- Del Mastro should have been lower, while Mallioux should have been higher. Mailloux rivals Clarkes skill set. His Hockey IQ doesn't compare though. His defensive game lacks because of this. You can teach defense. You cant teach skill. Where Mallioux lacks, Del Mastro excels.
- The past history of Goalies in the first round is not good. Doesn't matter what draft, you dont take a goalie first round unless he's a surefire. Gaudreau is good... but is he 7th overall good? The second goalie to go, was Roy Pejcinovski at dedicated 74. Homer Gibson soon after. Drobac, Wu, and Rosenzweig were 6t rounders. Moncada undrafted <--------------------!!!!!!!!
- Owen Sound taking Deni Goure at 10 was a reach imo. Kaleb Lawrence was a steal though so it balances.

Just my opinions, as I've said. Feel free to disagree with me. I welcome other opinions.
Just wondering if you have seen Wu in net and what your opinion would be of his skill level. Not a huge goalie when compared to some.

Blackadder70

Apr 1, 2019
2019 OHL Priority Goalie Draft vs Website Rankings

*HM = Honourable Mention
*The Scout.ca = only ranked 10 goalies, but had 30 HM's
kcUXEOO.png

*disregard the 2nd Osborne, Jacob

Justin Wu: This might answer some of your questions

Last edited:
Reactions: Garyboy and SYWTom

the dog

May 16, 2014
2019 OHL Priority Goalie Draft vs Website Rankings

*HM = Honourable Mention
*The Scout.ca = only ranked 10 goalies, but had 30 HM's...... interesting no one drafted Thomas Heaney or Jacob Osborne
kcUXEOO.png

*disregard the 2nd Osborne, Jacob

Justin Wu: This might answer some of your questions

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->