2019 OHL Draft Prospects

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
Just wondering if you have seen Wu in net and what your opinion would be of his skill level. Not a huge goalie when compared to some.

I’ve watched I’d say about 10 games of his. Same thing every game; he’s cool. Plays every shift like the other, doesn’t matter if he’s let a couple in, or running a shutout. With development and maybe some size over a couple years, you could see him in net every game.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I’ve watched I’d say about 10 games of his. Same thing every game; he’s cool. Plays every shift like the other, doesn’t matter if he’s let a couple in, or running a shutout. With development and maybe some size over a couple years, you could see him in net every game.
Thanks for the information. I saw a picture of him and he looked so small compared to the players with him. Saw the video posted and he looked like he could really track a puck. Our goalies in Kitchener were so inconsistent. It's a tough position to play because there are always some fingers pointed at the net no matter how bad a team pays in front of a goalie usually.

Blackadder70

Apr 1, 2019
Thanks for the information. I saw a picture of him and he looked so small compared to the players with him. Saw the video posted and he looked like he could really track a puck. Our goalies in Kitchener were so inconsistent. It's a tough position to play because there are always some fingers pointed at the net no matter how bad a team pays in front of a goalie usually.
He is smaller, but he's incredibly athletic - as can be seen in the youtube video I posted.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019

I liked Kitcheners draft, even if Schmidt doesn’t report. If you wanna talk hw7 rivalry, you’re gonna best Guelph every year for the next 3 years so long as Guelphs picks don’t report either.

Anonymous123

Apr 8, 2019

Without having seen a huge number of players that weren't drafted. There are also a number of players I have seen that I didn't get a chance to fully profile. Of my 65 (forward) profiles completed, 4 of them went undrafted.
C Nick Mazza, Chatham-Kent Cyclones
W Joshua Cini, Mississauga Rebels
W Dylan Richardson, Guelph Jr Gryphons - Edit, totally missed him getting drafted to Hamilton
W Dominic Cassillo, Buffalo Regals (SCTA)

Other notable forwards whom I didn't rank (reasons that I knew they wouldn't get drafted).
Gabriel Piccolo - Windsor Zone
Henry Turner - Guelph Gryphons
J. McDonald - Buffalo Regals
Matt Dimaline - Cambridge Hawks
Tarabh Nolan - Toronto Nats
Spence Marler - Hamilton Huskies

4/34 Fully profiled Defenders not drafted.
Jonah Copre - Chicago Misson
Therien Theising - Chicago Misson
Ethan Broderick - Guelph Gryphons
Callahan Reesor - Brantford 99ers

Notable Defense whom I did not rank.
Dom Derenda - Buffalo Regals
David Palmer - Hamilton Bulldogs
Angelo Ducsio - Kitchener Jr. Rangers

Goalie Sam Moncada was surprisingly not drafted. His talent in goal, is top tier. He stole the GTHL prospects game from Shane Wright & Co. Its evident that his small frame (a couple listings between 5'7-5'9... generously) were a good reason he remains undrafted. Unless there is a college commitment no body is aware of I suppose.

Kitchener's draft in my Opinion is sneaky good.
Kitchener could have a strong 1/2 punch up the middle with a good finisher in McIntosh. Wu could be a potentially strong starter while Roman Schmidt (if he comes) and Joseph Blackley could give them the offensive firepower from the back end.

What would be the best advise to these players that didn't get drafted? Major Midget or take a chance on Junior b?

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
I've watched him play a number of times and he is a very good goalie. The kid can, and does, steal games.

While the footage is impressive and does an admirable job of highlighting athleticism, it would be best to share footage that isn't sped up / slowed down to exaggerate the play.

Reactions: Blackadder70

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
2019 OHL Priority Goalie Draft vs Website Rankings

*HM = Honourable Mention
*The Scout.ca = only ranked 10 goalies, but had 30 HM's
kcUXEOO.png

*disregard the 2nd Osborne, Jacob

Justin Wu: This might answer some of your questions

IMO the U18 OHL draft has hurt goalies in the OHL draft. Goalies develop later (coaches want older, experienced goalies) so it looks like teams are waiting a year and they draft goalies in the U 18 draft.

the dog

May 16, 2014
IMO the U18 OHL draft has hurt goalies in the OHL draft. Goalies develop later (coaches want older, experienced goalies) so it looks like teams are waiting a year and they draft goalies in the U 18 draft.
also eur goalies are back

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
What would be the best advise to these players that didn't get drafted? Major Midget or take a chance on Junior b?

Major Midget almost exclusively. The kids undrafted almost have no choice. Most Junior teams hold tryouts but unless they are in fact much better than the older group already playing, not to mention kids who are drafted and sent down, they aren’t gonna see a whole lot of ice team.

They can get called up mid season. However that would void their eligibility for u18 draft. Depends what they would prefer tbh. If they do that, it’s rare to be taken as a 17yo in priority selection. 4/303 were 02s. So if they’re looked over then they could try getting a camp invite to a team of their choosing. If they can get invited.

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019

Not to mention the goaltender policy;
Teams are required to draft 2 skaters, so taking a goalie allows them to select another player later on.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018

Major Midget almost exclusively. The kids undrafted almost have no choice. Most Junior teams hold tryouts but unless they are in fact much better than the older group already playing, not to mention kids who are drafted and sent down, they aren’t gonna see a whole lot of ice team.

They can get called up mid season. However that would void their eligibility for u18 draft. Depends what they would prefer tbh. If they do that, it’s rare to be taken as a 17yo in priority selection. 4/303 were 02s. So if they’re looked over then they could try getting a camp invite to a team of their choosing. If they can get invited.
Agree with all that is written. Additional to getting a training camp invite in August, I believe most OHL teams have a spring development camp shortly after the draft (or once they get knocked out of the playoffs). If a 17 year old gets overlooked in their second OHL draft, they should start immediately reaching out to teams and try to get an invite to a spring development camp. For example, last summer the Greyhounds had 9 Free Agent invites to our spring development camp, and 14 Free Agent invites to our fall training camp.

bardownNorth

Apr 1, 2019
who are the 5 best players not picked in today ohl draft?

I actually liked the draft for the north kids. I thought Sudbury had a few surprises taken too. How many in PP top 200 werent taken at all. Just interested if anyone took a look at the list vs actual.

Blackadder70

Apr 1, 2019
I actually liked the draft for the north kids. I thought Sudbury had a few surprises taken too. How many in PP top 200 werent taken at all. Just interested if anyone took a look at the list vs actual.

Well if the Goalie file I put together is any indication... It *really* is a crap shoot... Outside of the first couple of rounds, I feel it starts coming down to who knows whom, who's friends with whom, how many times a team specific scout sees a player, and the dart on the dart board type of strategy.

Last edited:

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Just wondering if you have seen Wu in net and what your opinion would be of his skill level. Not a huge goalie when compared to some.

The Wu Bear is very technically sound and immensely athletic. Will be your number 1 goalie soon rather than later. Will go down as one of the biggest steals in the draft.

Blackadder70

Apr 1, 2019
94 players that were drafted were NOT RATED top 300 on the HockeyProspects.com paid Draft List.

DPGqVr6.png
The biggest misses were the high rankings that HP put on those kids playing USA hockey. OHL scouts are obviously very skittish about spending a draft pick on those ones that are not likely to every report if signed.

This also highlights the difficulty in placing/ranking kids, when player rankings and team positional needs don't match up.

*EDIT: I had originally had it labelled as the data from Prospects Pipeline - it its not. It is the data from Hockeyprospects.com

Last edited:

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The biggest misses were the high rankings that PP put on those kids playing USA hockey. OHL scouts are obviously very skittish about spending a draft pick on those ones that are not likely to every report if signed.

This also highlights the difficulty in placing/ranking kids, when player rankings and team positional needs don't match up.
Didn't the Prospect Pipeline say that their rankings weren't adjusted for commitments? In that sense it's not a miss if the player dropped as a result of a commitment, since it's a ranking list and not a mock draft.

I think the bigger discrepancies are players like Johnston, Punnett, Larmand that went really high but were ranked much lower. Did Prospect Pipeline miss, or did the teams that picked them miss? Time will tell.

Edit: Blackadder's data was from HP not PP so most of my post is probably moot.

Last edited:

Blackadder70

Apr 1, 2019
Didn't the Prospect Pipeline say that their rankings weren't adjusted for commitments? In that sense it's not a miss if the player dropped as a result of a commitment, since it's a ranking list and not a mock draft.

Sorry! This is the data from the paid site, HockeyProspects.com, not PP. I've edited the post to reflect that!

Reactions: HockeyPops

AlKradd

Apr 3, 2019
Sorry! This is the data from the paid site, HockeyProspects.com, not PP. I've edited the post to reflect that!

I paid for HockeyProspect and TheScout.ca. HockeyProspect having Connor Punnett 68, Wyatt Johnston 81, Ethan Larmand 181, Justin Ertel 151 and Alex Christopoulos 215 are glaring discrepancies.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I paid for HockeyProspect and TheScout.ca. HockeyProspect having Connor Punnett 68, Wyatt Johnston 81, Ethan Larmand 181, Justin Ertel 151 and Alex Christopoulos 215 are glaring discrepancies.
Where were they on thescout.ca?

ProspectPipeline had Wyatt Johnston 27, Connor Punnett 30, Ethan Larmand 55, Alex Christopoulos 87, Justin Ertel 113 in their final list. Of course they may have missed more on others, haven't analyzed the whole list.

AlKradd

Apr 3, 2019
Where were they on thescout.ca?

ProspectPipeline had Wyatt Johnston 27, Connor Punnett 30, Ethan Larmand 55, Alex Christopoulos 87, Justin Ertel 113 in their final list. Of course they may have missed more on others, haven't analyzed the whole list.

Johnston was 16, Punnett 29, A. Christopoulos 81, Ertel 88. A big discrepancy they had was Landon McCallum at 62

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
If I was running a draft for my team, and there were a couple of diamonds in the rough that we missed and had too low, that's not that big a deal to me. But if we had even one player ranked way higher than they should have been, that's a huge problem. We waste our pick getting a player that is way worse than many other options still left on the board.

Now with all of these commitments, threats of not reporting, and other reasons why a player may be drafted lower than they are ranked, it can be an onerous task sifting through it all to determine why a player went lower than the scouting service ranked them.

As with most things, time should sort out which players are the real deal, and which are busts. As everyone else says, we really need to wait a few years to see.

Reactions: AlKradd

03HockeyFan

Mar 5, 2019
94 players that were drafted were NOT RATED top 300 on the HockeyProspects.com paid Draft List.

DPGqVr6.png
The biggest misses were the high rankings that HP put on those kids playing USA hockey. OHL scouts are obviously very skittish about spending a draft pick on those ones that are not likely to every report if signed.

*EDIT: I had originally had it labelled as the data from Prospects Pipeline - it its not. It is the data from Hockeyprospects.com

It would be interesting to see how OHL Central Scounting classified each player. In some cases, teams selected players that OHL Central Scouting excluded from their list.

Opinions are like elbows...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->