2019 OHL Draft Prospects

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Hi everyone!

With the 2018-19 OHL regular season beginning this week, it's a fitting time to start taking a look at some of the top prospects for the upcoming draft.

The Toronto Titans Early Bird Tournament was the unofficial start of the Minor Midget AAA season in Ontario, and it did not disappoint, with many of the top 2003-born prospects and teams from Ontario and USA putting their skill on display. In the end, the Don Mills Flyers played to a dominant 8-0-0 record en route to the tournament championship.

Many of the top prospects to watch this year will come out of the GTHL, but Alliance is set for a major bounce-back after a disappointing '17-18 season in terms of prospects. The ETA will have a few high-end players, but the SCTA looks to be the quietest in terms of top-end talent. Up in the HEO, a couple players to watch are Mason McTavish and Connor Lockhart, who could challenge as Top-10 picks.

Over the course of the season, Prospect Pipeline is going to be covering this year's '03 draft class and creating Draft Rankings, Prospect Profiles, and Features Stories. Feel free to follow along the journey with us here and don't hesitate to share your input and opinions on who you feel should be considered Top Prospects for the 2019 OHL Priority Selection.

To get up to date on what has transpired thus far, feel free to check out these articles!

2019 OHL Draft Ranking: Pre-Season Top-10

Toronto Titans Early Bird Tournament: Top 20 Performers

2018-19 GTHL Season Preview

OHL Prospect Profile: Shane Wright

OHL Prospect Profile: Brandt Clarke

OHL Prospect Profile: Maddox Callens

We look forward to hearing from you all and discussing this year's crop of OHL Prospects, and hopefully seeing some of you around the rinks!

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Hi everyone!

With the 2018-19 OHL regular season beginning this week, it's a fitting time to start taking a look at some of the top prospects for the upcoming draft.

The Toronto Titans Early Bird Tournament was the unofficial start of the Minor Midget AAA season in Ontario, and it did not disappoint, with many of the top 2003-born prospects and teams from Ontario and USA putting their skill on display. In the end, the Don Mills Flyers played to a dominant 8-0-0 record en route to the tournament championship.

Many of the top prospects to watch this year will come out of the GTHL, but Alliance is set for a major bounce-back after a disappointing '17-18 season in terms of prospects. The ETA will have a few high-end players, but the SCTA looks to be the quietest in terms of top-end talent. Up in the HEO, a couple players to watch are Mason McTavish and Connor Lockhart, who could challenge as Top-10 picks.

Over the course of the season, Prospect Pipeline is going to be covering this year's '03 draft class and creating Draft Rankings, Prospect Profiles, and Features Stories. Feel free to follow along the journey with us here and don't hesitate to share your input and opinions on who you feel should be considered Top Prospects for the 2019 OHL Priority Selection.

To get up to date on what has transpired thus far, feel free to check out these articles!

2019 OHL Draft Ranking: Pre-Season Top-10

Toronto Titans Early Bird Tournament: Top 20 Performers

2018-19 GTHL Season Preview

OHL Prospect Profile: Shane Wright

OHL Prospect Profile: Brandt Clarke

OHL Prospect Profile: Maddox Callens

We look forward to hearing from you all and discussing this year's crop of OHL Prospects, and hopefully seeing some of you around the rinks!
Nice to see some northern boys high in some ranking. Keep up the good work mate.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Another player to add to the list above is Daniel Michaud of the Quinte Red Devils. As one of the top prospects coming out of the ETA for the 2019 OHL Priority Selection, Michaud is an intelligent center and a natural goal-scorer with gifted puck skills. He projects as a potential 1st round pick.

OHL Prospect Profile: Daniel Michaud

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Thanks so much for posting this.... I will be paying close attention to this thread this season as the Petes currently own 2 firsts and 3 seconds for the upcoming OHL draft. Any idea if Callens or Michaud are represented by the Orr Group? That seems to be a problem with Petes organization lately.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
One of the top prospects to watch from the SCTA this year is Ethan Gore of the Guelph Jr. Gryphons. He is a versatile center with an arsenal of tools to generate offence, and shows an impressive compete level in all three zones of the ice. The Gryphons one of the favourites in their league this year, and Gore will undoubtedly be one of their major leaders to count on. He currently projects as a probable 2nd round pick for the 2019 OHL Draft.

OHL Prospect Profile: Ethan Gore

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Thanks so much for posting this.... I will be paying close attention to this thread this season as the Petes currently own 2 firsts and 3 seconds for the upcoming OHL draft. Any idea if Callens or Michaud are represented by the Orr Group? That seems to be a problem with Petes organization lately.
I'm not sure who Callens or Michaud are represented by, but I wouldn't be too worried about a Cuylle situation occurring in back-to-back years for the Petes. With that said, the next few drafts will be huge for the team to retool and develop a strong core for the future. They will likely end up with two top-10 picks, and potentially even two in the top-5, depending on their level of success this season. Regardless, the Petes should be getting five excellent prospects this year, and the top-8 or so seem to be relatively agreed upon across most outlets right now.

Reactions: Petes

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Our next Prospect Profile is out now, featuring Danil Zhilkin of the Toronto Marlboros. Zhilkin led the Titans Early Bird Tournament with 9 goals in 6 games, and was second only to Shane Wright in points-per-game, at 2.0. Zhilkin has carried his momentum into the GTHL Regular Season and is currently rated as one of the premier goal scorers for the 2019 OHL Draft. However, a Boston University commitment throws a wrench into his potential draft position. Based solely on talent and potential alone, Zhilkin would project as a probable Top-10 pick.

OHL Prospect Profile: Danil Zhilkin

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Next up is Roman Schmidt, an elite two-way defenceman for the Don Mills Flyers who boasts outstanding offensive upside. The Boston University commit has a cannon from the point and can lay the body with regularity. Schmidt is a fantastic skater with a fluid stride and impressive agility. He maintains tight gaps and is a menace for opponents along the wall. His transition game is also very promising, as he utilizes several outlets to move the puck up ice, including lugging it through the neutral zone himself. Roman Schmidt projects as a Top-10 pick for the 2019 OHL Draft.

OHL Prospect Profile: Roman Schmidt

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Next up is Roman Schmidt, an elite two-way defenceman for the Don Mills Flyers who boasts outstanding offensive upside. The Boston University commit has a cannon from the point and can lay the body with regularity. Schmidt is a fantastic skater with a fluid stride and impressive agility. He maintains tight gaps and is a menace for opponents along the wall. His transition game is also very promising, as he utilizes several outlets to move the puck up ice, including lugging it through the neutral zone himself. Roman Schmidt projects as a Top-10 pick for the 2019 OHL Draft.

OHL Prospect Profile: Roman Schmidt

He would've been a top 2 round pick in last years draft I thought despite being a year younger. You wouldn't have known he was an '03 playing against all '02s last season

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I've got a very good feeling about Pinelli. I think his whole game would play up if he can just add a bit more speed.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
From the Ottawa region, Mason McTavish is an elite goal scorer who can find the back of the net with an array of tools. A member of the Pembroke Lumber Kings Midget team, McTavish is an offensive dynamo with a shot that scouts argue is already pro-level. He racked up 49 goals and 83 points in just 30 Bantam games in 2017-18, and has already compiled 6 goals and 16 points in 10 Midget games to lead a league that consists of both '02 & '03-born players. McTavish projects as a potential Top-5 pick for the 2019 OHL Draft

OHL Prospect Profile: Mason McTavish

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Another top prospect out of the Ottawa region is Connor Lockhart. A premier goal scorer, Lockhart possesses an electric release and separation speed to pose a threat each time he takes the ice. Representing the Kanata Lasers Midget team, Lockhart has added 7 goals and 15 points over 12 games thus far, as he continues to find his stride this season. In his Bantam season, Lockhart scored a ridiculous 50 goals and 76 points in just 30 games. A complete offensive package, Lockhart forecasts as a probable top-10 pick for the 2019 OHL Draft.

OHL Prospect Profile: Connor Lockhart

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
As we move into October today, we begin the month with our next edition of 2019 OHL Draft Rankings. This month featured its fair share of movement after Ontario's AAA Minor Midget regular seasons began. It's another strong year for the GTHL, with 5 teams represented within the top 20, led by 4 players from the dominant Don Mills Flyers. As we said, the Alliance is enjoying a bounce-back year, and shows its strength with 5 prospects in our Top 20 here. Additional to our Ranking, we've included 3 Players to Watch. These are some of our favourite top prospects who have utilized a strong start to the season to drastically improve their draft stock.

2019 OHL Draft Ranking: October Top-20

Reactions: OSA

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Agreed about that 5 tool write up on Pinelli. He doesn't immediately grab your attention, but watch a full game and the full package becomes apparent. I think he could be a hell of a player.

We like a lot of the same players. I'm high on Pinelli and Winterton. Both guys are easy to project as impact players.

Early in the season, but i'm not quite seeing it with your 11-14 listed players. I like all of those guys, but more as 2-4th round types.

I think Zito should have a place in a top 20 ranking. Does so many things, and has great feel for the game.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Fishman is another guy who's gonna be hard to ignore by the end of the season. Fast, hell of a goal scorer, fearless despite being small.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Agreed about that 5 tool write up on Pinelli. He doesn't immediately grab your attention, but watch a full game and the full package becomes apparent. I think he could be a hell of a player.

We like a lot of the same players. I'm high on Pinelli and Winterton. Both guys are easy to project as impact players.

Early in the season, but i'm not quite seeing it with your 11-14 listed players. I like all of those guys, but more as 2-4th round types.

I think Zito should have a place in a top 20 ranking. Does so many things, and has great feel for the game.

Thanks for the input! I completely agree with you on Zito, and believe it or not, he was actually 21st on our list. He's another player who can make an impact each shift, at either end of the ice.

As for the players ranked 11-14; Guryev has been one of our favourites from the start. He plays a fearless, dynamic game that just needs some fine-tuning in regards to his decision-making in my opinion. Arcuri admittedly started out slower than expected given his Bantam performance, but he has continued to improve each week so far and definitely has the talent to become a game-changer. As for Johnston, he may not be the flashiest or put up the most points in the league, but boy does he play a smart, two-way game. He's the type of player who can make those around him better, and we can see his game translating well at the next level.

Like you mentioned, it's very early in the year still and the rankings will vary a lot by the end of the year. It's going to be fun to watch some of the lesser mentioned players build their case and reputation as the season moves along.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Who are your 21-40? Would be curious to see who the late risers are and who falls. Still so much development physically and skill wise at this age.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Where do you have Savignac now? I saw you had him top 10 but now he's nowhere to be found. Not that I think you're wrong at all.. just curious.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Whether you're a fan of the Toronto Red Wings, the GTHL, or OHL Prospects in general, we've got two exciting Profiles for you! First up, Francesco Pinelli. An elite centre with natural leadership abilities, Pinelli plays an impressive and responsible two-way game. He is a slick and agile skater with above-average top speeds. A creative playmaker, Pinelli combines tremendous puck skills with high-end vision to be a dangerous set-up man. His shot is also dangerous, with a powerful and quick release, Pinelli can often pick corners with ease.

OHL Prospect Profile: Francesco Pinelli

Next up, we've got Adam Fantilli. A December 2004-born prospect, Fantilli is nearly two years younger than some of his competitors. However, he plays a confident game with outstanding hands and a creative mind that reads plays one step ahead of the competition. His greatest asset is his booming shot, which comes with a pro-level release that is lightning quick. As such a young prospect playing in Minor Midget, Fantilli undoubtedly has some areas of improvement, such as shot accuracy and decision-making, but make no mistake, he is one of the most exciting prospects in the '04 draft class. Remember this name, folks.

2020 OHL Draft Top Prospect: Adam Fantilli

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Who are your 21-40? Would be curious to see who the late risers are and who falls. Still so much development physically and skill wise at this age.
Later on in the season, we will be releasing top-50, top-100, and so on rankings. As for now, there is too much variability and volatility to compile a solid ranking of that caliber. However, if you've got a question about a specific player, we can certainly reach an answer for you.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Where do you have Savignac now? I saw you had him top 10 but now he's nowhere to be found. Not that I think you're wrong at all.. just curious.
Savignac had an incredible start to the season and showed dynamic abilities, namely in his speed and skill. However, he's slowed down slightly in the GNML and is now projecting as a mid-round pick through September. Specifically, he's struggled to show a natural scoring ability and could be a better decision maker, as well as a more reliable two-way prospect. With that said, it's still very early in the year, so Savignac has time to find his stride again, but he'll need to do it soon to be considered as a high-end prospect for the 2019 OHL Draft.

Reactions: hockeynorth

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Another member of the powerhouse Don Mills Flyers, Francesco Arcuri is a dynamic playmaker with tremendous vision of the ice and creative hands. He skates very well, with a fluid and efficient stride as well as smart edgework to add some agility to his game. Arcuri is the type of player who can dictate the pace of the game and turn momentum on it's head with a flashy rush. A natural playmaker, Arcuri is typically a pass-first center, but his snap shot is also deceptively accurate with a quick release. Arcuri is projected to be a Top-15 pick at the 2019 OHL Draft.

OHL Prospect Profile: Francesco Arcuri

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Later on in the season, we will be releasing top-50, top-100, and so on rankings. As for now, there is too much variability and volatility to compile a solid ranking of that caliber. However, if you've got a question about a specific player, we can certainly reach an answer for you.

Thanks. Mostly interested in Alliance kids to watch this year as that’s the region I live. Saw your top 20 including 5 from the Alliance. Wondering who else you project to go in the first few rounds and who might be some sleepers. You’re absolutely right about variability and volatility. These kids are still son young with lots of development ahead, but interesting to follow. Thanks for linking a source for minor hockey in HFBoards. Been here for a long time and this is the first time I’ve stumbled upon legit prospect talk for major junior.

Prospect Pipeline

Sep 15, 2018
Deni Goure is an elite goal-scorer with a pro-level release and impressive speed on the rush. A member of the Chatham-Kent Cyclones, Goure exhibits an admirable compete level in all three zones and has added 5 goals and 11 points in 8 tournament games this year. He can beat defenders wide or maneuver through traffic with his quick and creative hands. An offensive dynamo, Goure should be considered as one of the top prospects in Alliance this year and projects as a probable first round pick at the 2019 OHL Draft.

OHL Prospect Profile: Deni Goure

Devin Sakic

Oct 9, 2018
As we move into October today, we begin the month with our next edition of 2019 OHL Draft Rankings. This month featured its fair share of movement after Ontario's AAA Minor Midget regular seasons began. It's another strong year for the GTHL, with 5 teams represented within the top 20, led by 4 players from the dominant Don Mills Flyers. As we said, the Alliance is enjoying a bounce-back year, and shows its strength with 5 prospects in our Top 20 here. Additional to our Ranking, we've included 3 Players to Watch. These are some of our favourite top prospects who have utilized a strong start to the season to drastically improve their draft stock.

2019 OHL Draft Ranking: October Top-20
Matthew Rae 71 Oshawa Generals Profile

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad