GDT: 2019 NHL draft|6/21/19 6pm MT - Draft Day!

Who do the Avs take at #4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
A former 1st round WHL draft pick, Miner had a phenomenal rookie season this year. Coming in to the year as a backup, Miner pushed Arizona draft pick David Tendeck all year and finished with a 1.98 GAA and a .924 save percentage.

Miner is undersized but excels with excellent positioning. He does an excellent job of reading the play as it develops and is great at putting himself in a position to make the save. Miner is rarely caught scrambling and has a calming effect on his team when he’s in net. Miner is fluid post to post but isn’t explosive, and is not the type to make the highlight reel desperation save. He frequently has the saves he should make but lacks the ability to steal a goal from the opposition. He is a plus puck handler who does a good job coming out to stop the puck behind his net and puts his defensemen in good positions. Miner has an excellent understanding of the game and is an excellent junior goalie, however his lack of size or elite athleticism could be a hindrance at higher levels of play.
That scouting report really sound like we drafted another Gru.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
If people don't want to go 3 years for Pavs, who do you target in FA? Lee? Simmonds? Why are we so concerned about the 3rd year? I've mentioned before Simmer could come cheap because of his struggles last year but at the same time the limited crop of players will make him demand more. Both him and Pavs serve a larger need than Lee IMO but I'd still like to land one of these guys + another top 6 guy in a trade with a cap-strapped team or in a Barrie deal.

Top line
UFA/trade - UFA/trade - Compher
Jost - Soda - Calvert
Nieto - Kam - Wilson
Greer

With Kerf traded is probably my ideal starting forward group.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
If they re-sign Karlsson, they are going to have to dump a lot of salary. Their three highest paid players are Stone, Pacioretty and Stastny. Stastny would be the most logical salary dump. Every GM trading with them knows they have to dump salary, so they aren't in a great bargaining position. Statsny is getting paid more than Sakic would have offered him to stay or come back on the open market last year, but it's for just two more years and he's still cheaper than most UFAs would be. His contract would be up when Landeskog needs to be re-signed... for two years it shouldn't put any cap strain on the Avs. I'm sure Stastny would be happy to return, he never strays far from the region of his own volition. I think it makes a lot of sense out of available options.

It all depends on the price there. Anything higher than a 2nd I’m out. I’d rather overpay for Lee than give up a 1st or A prospect for him.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Stas does seem to make the most sense of the cap strapped teams. I'd offer Kerf for Stas which will probably save Vegas 3M and gives them a top 9 guy back. Probably ask to include a pick for the favour. Then sign one of Simmonds or Lee and call it a day. If we miss out on Breadman of course

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
It all depends on the price there. Anything higher than a 2nd I’m out. I’d rather overpay for Lee than give up a 1st or A prospect for him.

Well yeah, that's kind of been the point of the discussion. Vegas isn't in a position to ask for much more than that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If they re-sign Karlsson, they are going to have to dump a lot of salary. Their three highest paid players are Stone, Pacioretty and Stastny. Stastny would be the most logical salary dump. Every GM trading with them knows they have to dump salary, so they aren't in a great bargaining position. Statsny is getting paid more than Sakic would have offered him to stay or come back on the open market last year, but it's for just two more years and he's still cheaper than most UFAs would be. His contract would be up when Landeskog needs to be re-signed... for two years it shouldn't put any cap strain on the Avs. I'm sure Stastny would be happy to return, he never strays far from the region of his own volition. I think it makes a lot of sense out of available options.

I haven't looked at their cap too closely but I believe dumping Clarkson and Miller should get them close. If they don't want to use future assets to dump players and actually want something decent back then Stastny makes more sense.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I haven't looked at their cap too closely but I believe dumping Clarkson and Miller should get them close. If they don't want to use future assets to dump players and actually want something decent back then Stastny makes more sense.

Vegas Golden Knights - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

They are already above the cap and they have to re-sign Karlsson, so the situation looks pretty dicey for them. I missed Fluery who is making more than Stastny, but looking at the figures, and how much they'd likely have to re-sign Karlsson for, to me it looks like they'd have to dump multiple contracts.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So both Pronman and Wheeler thought we did well, with Pronman essentially having us as one of the best drafts of the weekend. The only team he graded higher was New Jersey and that was solely because of Hughes, he actually didn't like any of the other picks they made.

He gave the Avs, Kings, and Rangers(Again Kakko was mostly why) an A grade.

I think we all should be generally happier with how the draft went. Reading from a lot of different sources outside of our boards that thought we crushed it. Even the Steinburg pick like Pronman said was probably a couple rounds early but there's a definite chance at an NHL player in him.

Of course none of it means anything if they all bust in 3 years from now and our scouts certainly dont deserve the benefit of the doubt with the current track record... but lets see what happens.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wait...Avs invite Regis, but not Justin Bergeron to rookie camp. Dafaq?

I would give us a B- in this draft. I buy those comments about Hepple saying they got beat up, but it's perhaps hard to trade when your guy is like 3-5 picks away and gets selected in the two right before yours.

If I was going to guess...

2nd: Helleson, D (Was always their guy, except if they wanted Rees)
3rd: Steinburg, C/RW (Easy to figure it out, it had to be Alexandrov - seems like the biggest off the board reach here)
3rd: Beaucage, RW (Avs probably wanted Legare or Puistola)
5th: Mutala, RW (No clue here, Lindmark?)
6th: Burzan, C (Only player within their realm of what Hepple was talking about is Warren)
7th: Goaler was always going to be in their plans, even if he was going to be an unranked random Euro.

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
Wait...Avs invite Regis, but not Justin Bergeron to rookie camp. Dafaq?

I would give us a B- in this draft. I buy those comments about Hepple saying they got beat up, but it's perhaps hard to trade when your guy is like 3-5 picks away and gets selected in the two right before yours.

If I was going to guess...

2nd: Helleson, D (Was always their guy, except if they wanted Rees)
3rd: Steinburg, C/RW (Easy to figure it out, it had to be Alexandrov - seems like the biggest off the board reach here)
3rd: Beaucage, RW (Avs probably wanted Legare or Puistola)
5th: Mutala, RW (No clue here, Lindmark?)
6th: Burzan, C (Only player within their realm of what Hepple was talking about is Warren)
7th: Goaler was always going to be in their plans, even if he was going to be an unranked random Euro.
+1 on Justin Bergeron.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
And on the topic of free agency...

Should get a good idea tomorrow of who the Avs target as we're already hearing this evening of some teams plans to talk to specific players(Florida with Panarin and Bob, Vancouver with Myers)...

I'd like to see us target Nyquist, Zuccarello, Pavelski(If its 2 years), Dzingel, and Lee.

I'm not sure Pavelski is the greatest fit but for 2 years and in the right role he could do quite well on this team. I think Lee would be a great fit on the 2nd line especially if we can get a solid 2C via trade to pair with him.

Nyquist is probably my first choice for free agency. I think he's a very crafty, creative player and essentially a much, much better version of Kerfoot off the wing. If we break up the top line to balance out the offense I think Nyquist would fit excellently with Mack on the top line.

I also hope the Avs weaponize the cap space we have in the same way New Jersey and Carolina did today. Both teams used the cap space they have in different ways with Carolina using it to get a high draft pick next year and New Jersey got a legit Top pairing guy for very cheap.

Avs should be looking hard to go the same route New Jersey did, and targetting players that can improve the team now. But if that deal cant be found we shouldn't be afraid to make a play for extra picks either. Those picks could be used as currency at the deadline next year or for help this summer. For example I'd be pushing hard to get Stastny out of Vegas but if they wont move him then why not make a play for Clarkson and get a 1st or 2nd round pick back as well.

On the Barrie front, I feel more confident in that situation now that the draft is over. If he's traded then it is what it is, I see where the organization would be coming from having Girard, Makar, and Byram now in the fold but I still wouldn't agree with the idea. However, I like hearing that the rumored piece involved was the #10 Pick + other pieces because that is some solid value and the fact we turned it down probably means Joe is putting a preference on getting help right now if we're moving Barrie. So if we can find a deal around Horvat, or Trochek, or a 2C that can help us get better tomorrow then fine. Just dont move him for an uninspiring futures package like what Winnipeg ultimately opted to do earlier this week.

dmac7719

Apr 27, 2018
Ontario
I understand the need for a 2C, but I have a feeling that if Sakic is looking at VGK for a trade he will have more success going after one of their wingers, not Stastny. Stone/Patches would most likely be out, leaving Smith and Marchessault.
Reason being, if they trade Stastny they will be in the same situation as us, looking for a top 6 C. However, they may be more inclined to trade a Smith or March considering they have Tuch to replace one of those 2 in the top 6.

Reactions: Tru
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad