GDT: 2019 NHL draft|6/21/19 6pm MT - Draft Day!

Who do the Avs take at #4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I think we all would, but if we could get Stastny for cheap by taking on the Clarkson contract vs paying a premium for Karlsson, I take Stastny.

But does Sakic want him here after he bailed on us for St. Louis, and then chose not to come back when he could've in UFA last year?

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
But does Sakic want him here after he bailed on us for St. Louis, and then chose not to come back when he could've in UFA last year?
I don't think, it's just the nature of the business. We need to add a #2C for next season, and with Miller off the market, Marleau traded (so no Kadri trade most likely), there's not a whole lot of available centers to trade for unless we were to dangle a piece like Barrie. But I'd rather go for a stop gap option like Stastny would provide. Plus I think he'll age very well.

Reactions: MarkT and AvsWraith

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
I don't think, it's just the nature of the business. We need to add a #2C for next season, and with Miller off the market, Marleau traded (so no Kadri trade most likely), there's not a whole lot of available centers to trade for unless we were to dangle a piece like Barrie. But I'd rather go for a stop gap option like Stastny would provide. Plus I think he'll age very well.

I guess, as a last resort, it's not the worst.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Halifax hockey community is pretty tight community. His father coaches at St. Mary's University in Halifax And a former 1st round pick of he Nords. No doubt in my mind Crosby , Mack, Bowers and the boys know him. He will be on the ice this summer with the boys a few times.
Might help him a bit. He had health issues his last Bantam year which hindered his development.
Yeah I’ll follow up on this. I don’t know the kid or his dad at all but his dad is a local legend in Halifax I found out tonight. He’s been at SMU for over 20 years and is heavily involved in multiple sports in the area. Knows everyone. Everyone loves him. Probably plays into the character love.

Known as “Steiny” by all the sports players in the city.

Reactions: MarkT

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Just fire every scout and use the central scouting list. That's how HF determines draft success anyways.

Someone with too much time in his hands should compare the last 10 years if we used McKenzie's list instead of the Avs scouts'. That would be a lot of work but really interesting to see the results.

Me thinks McKenzie's list >>>>>>>>>> Pracey/Hepple's crew.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Looks like we're down to an overpayment for Pavelski or Lee to fill the 2C role in FA. If it's two years then I'd easily take Pavelski until Newhook is ready.

Not sure who might be available via trade but Miller is obviously no longer an option. I've yet to see anyone except Chris Johnston mention Stastny's name and Vegas should have other ways to clear cap.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Looks like we're down to an overpayment for Pavelski or Lee to fill the 2C role in FA.

Not sure who might be available via trade but Miller is obviously no longer an option. I've yet to see anyone except Chris Johnston mention Stastny's name and Vegas should have other ways to clear cap.
Those who'd sign Pavelski to 3 years must have missed the fact that earlier today Toronto had to give up a 1st round pick just to get rid of Marleau's 3rd year.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Those who'd sign Pavelski to 3 years must have missed the fact that earlier today Toronto had to give up a 1st round pick to get rid of Marleau.

Not to mention how huge of an overpayment that would have be as he's already on a squad that made it to the WCF this year...over us.....

So barring some Hoffman level fallout, I can't see him in an Avs sweater anytime soon as he'd be smarter to re-sign than go with us.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
“Somebody say a 2C?”

giphy.gif

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Those who'd sign Pavelski to 3 years must have missed the fact that earlier today Toronto had to give up a 1st round pick just to get rid of Marleau's 3rd year.

I've said a number of times I wouldn't go three years regardless of the cap hit but would take the risk for two.

Reactions: MarkT

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019

Big difference though between Marleu signing that deal at 36 coming off a 46 point season compared to pavelski at 34 coming off a 64 pt season.

Reactions: mapletreemarty

AFK

Jan 8, 2014
Someone with too much time in his hands should compare the last 10 years if we used McKenzie's list instead of the Avs scouts'. That would be a lot of work but really interesting to see the results.

Me thinks McKenzie's list >>>>>>>>>> Pracey/Hepple's crew.

Would be pretty easy with a bit of code. Wouldn't take much time at all.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017

If they re-sign Karlsson, they are going to have to dump a lot of salary. Their three highest paid players are Stone, Pacioretty and Stastny. Stastny would be the most logical salary dump. Every GM trading with them knows they have to dump salary, so they aren't in a great bargaining position. Statsny is getting paid more than Sakic would have offered him to stay or come back on the open market last year, but it's for just two more years and he's still cheaper than most UFAs would be. His contract would be up when Landeskog needs to be re-signed... for two years it shouldn't put any cap strain on the Avs. I'm sure Stastny would be happy to return, he never strays far from the region of his own volition. I think it makes a lot of sense out of available options.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad