GDT: 2019 NHL draft|6/21/19 6pm MT - Draft Day!

Who do the Avs take at #4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Yeah I’ll follow up on this. I don’t know the kid or his dad at all but his dad is a local legend in Halifax I found out tonight. He’s been at SMU for over 20 years and is heavily involved in multiple sports in the area. Knows everyone. Everyone loves him. Probably plays into the character love.

Known as “Steiny” by all the sports players in the city.
Yeah I remember his dad as a Nords fan he played with the Halifax Citadels. Me and my buddy who is an Islander fan used to banter back and forth on players called me several years later and had been invited throgh a girl he was dating down to Stienburgs place for a party and boat ride and stuff. He said he was an awesome guy. This was probably 17 to 18 years ago . Stienburg was a few years into coaching St.Mary's then I believe

That's how he ended up here was through the Citadels and loved it , never left anc went back to Ontario.

Big spread on Terence bay on the Atlantic ocean is wear he lived at the time and I believe he still does an out 20 kms from the city.

Google Image Result for https://www.vladi-private-islands.de/fileadmin/_processed_/9/7/csm_ocean_property_terence_bay_005_58851361cb.jpg
not far from Peggys cove

Last edited:

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Did someone say that the Panthers were interested in Barrie yesterday? If true, who could be going back to us? Huberdeau, Hoffman? We'd have to add for Huberdeau.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I think the Avs did well with their pucks aside from the Steinburg pick. They must know something no one else does because I'm pretty sure they could have had him in the 7th round if they were that keen on getting him.

I really like the Beaucage pick. Though he's apparently a below average skater, the Avs lack scorers in their system. One hopes the skating can be worked on.

Helleson sounds like he has legit NHL upside. There are going to be GDT threads in here for BC games lol.

Strange that we didn't pick a single European.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Every year HFAvs fans are quite happy with the overall Avs' draft and not much come out of it. This year the consensus is not as good so maybe it will be the opposite and we''ll get quality NHLers out of this group. Who knows? That will be a surprise.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I don't know a thing about prospects, but it looks like almost every player we got excels at something or has a clear path (in terms of what they need to do) to become an NHL player. It also looks like we picked guys with a variety of skillsets, which I also like. Sure, it'd be nice to pick nothing but fast, high-skilled guys, but you also need guys with size, toughness, shooting ability, etc.. to round out your lineup. (The key part of that paragraph is the beginning).

As for free agency, I think you guys know what I think. Stay away from the older guys (Pavelski, Zucc, Nyquist) unless it's for short term - 2 years is ideal. Stay away from Lee/Ferland/Dzingel unless they inexplicably are willing to sign below-market-value deals here. Go hard at Panarin even though that aint happening. Sign Donskoi (or Panik). Scour the trade market, dangling the likes of Barrie and Kerfoot. Try to get Lehkonen out of Montreal, Bjugstad out of Pittsburgh, Granlund/Smith out of Nashville, Kadri/Johnsson out of Toronto, Trochek/Huberdeau out of Florida, or Stastny/Karlsson/Haula out of Vegas. Don't rest until at least one legit top 6 player has been added and another legit top/middle six player has been added. Re-sign Wilson to a short term deal if necessary to fill a bottom six role.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I checked out after the third round (honestly I didn't even know the guys that deep) but reading the main boards it seems almost unanimous that we had one of the better drafts right up there with LA.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not really a fan of any of the bigger UFAs outside of Panarin. At least at what their contracts are going to cost. Someone at the level that replaces Wilson will probably get an acceptable contract, but I'm not interested in paying the prices for some of these middle of the roster guys who are not clear cut top six forwards.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Trade Barrie for Kadri
Sign 6×7 Lee
Sign 4×7 Zucc.

Lee-Kadri-Zucc
Jost-Kamenev-Compher
Nieto- Soderberg-Calvert
O'connor

Last edited:

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Did someone say that the Panthers were interested in Barrie yesterday? If true, who could be going back to us? Huberdeau, Hoffman? We'd have to add for Huberdeau.

It likely depends on how UFA goes. If they get Bob and Panarin then they can easily move a LW and they do need a RHD although it would be more preferable for it to be a 2 way guy, but Barrie is likely the best overall player they could get.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I've always been of the mindset that I really only evaluate the first 2 rounds as anything after that is a wish and a prayer, like how the Avs did when taking guys with a 5% or less chance to ever play an NHL game isn't too big of a deal, its more for scouts to take the guys they like.

However in terms of the top 2 rounds my god did the Avs KILL it. The fact that they were able to make a high risk play getting the best Dman and were rewarded heavily by having 2 super high end center prospects fall into their laps at 16 was honestly crazy. The Newhook vs Krebs take will probably be a story line for a long time and I really hope the Avs got that one right. Its really difficult to imagine the Avs draft going much better than that.

Also with all the smaller high skill D they have in their system, drafting a big Dman who can skate and make a good 1st pass is never a bad idea and there wasn't anyone that went after him that I would have strongly preferred instead.

Hepple also said on day 2 they had some pretty rough luck with a lot of their targets just barely not making it to them.

On a side note, with Newhook taking 2 years most likely to develop someone like Pavs now makes a lot of sense for us. If there is a Kadri for Barrie type of deal to be had, that could also work out.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
After watching some interviews with our draft picks, I noticed the Avs seem to favor guys who started living away from home at a young age, which generally means they're more mature than their stay-at-home counterparts. In terms of a #1 trait to look for, maturity/character is a pretty good one. It means if nothing else the Avs will always be a team that's easy to cheer for.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
After watching some interviews with our draft picks, I noticed the Avs seem to favor guys who started living away from home at a young age, which generally means they're more mature than their stay-at-home counterparts. In terms of a #1 trait to look for, maturity/character is a pretty good one. It means if nothing else the Avs will always be a team that's easy to cheer for.

While most teams will tell you they value "character" (because so many hockey players aren't good people *eye roll*), I think its just really common to have billet families in the CHL more so than any actual tangible variable to look for.

Reactions: Barklez

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Only some on here are dissapointed with our picks lol. The consensus winners seem to be the Kings, Canes, Avs and Vegas

You wont find many people who were more strongly opposed to the Avs taking Byram than me, and the main reason for that was because the Avs need for a 2c was just so massive, but you know what, I ended up being wrong because 2 top 10 center prospects fell to the Avs at 16 some how anyways and the high risk pick ended up being a massive win. Even as someone who was also massively heartbroken that the Avs passed on Krebs, Newhook is also an incredibly valid option that I totally get. The Avs walked away with a top 10 player at center and the best Dman in the draft.

I don't see how anyone could call this anything other than a massive win for us given how everything played out.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So I just got done reading both Wheeler’s and Pronman’s takes on the Avs’ draft. Both gave it good marks, though they both agreed the Stienburg pick was not good, and it sounds like Hepple’s remark of getting “beat up a bit” in this draft was a direct reference to this pick. Apparently the guy they wanted there got snatched up right before their turn and they may have panicked a little. I guess they called time out before picking Stienburg? Oh well.

Anyway, I like this draft, it even included a player I’d heard of (Beaucage), so I’m diggin’ it. And hey! They even took a non-Euro goalie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad