OT: 2019 Football Thread: Part IV – More like the "Football Thread", amirite?

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I came in with an open mind, and have watched a decent amount. But after 4 weeks I gotta say - its bad. The rule ideas are cool but it's generally just bad football.

It isn't TERRIBLE, but I am so much more interested in soccer, college basketball, and hockey that I've really only caught the XFL in passing. I did watch the second half of the Guardians game against LA and found myself rooting for them, but only because of the NY, and I couldn't tell you who seemed good or even if I enjoyed it.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Do you guys actually enjoy it? I feel like it's just watching low budget football.

Edit: And no I don't mean the Jets and Giants.

I was pretty excited about it the first week but I’ve barely watched since then. Just haven’t felt compelled to put it on even if a NHL/NBA/Spring Training game I care about isn’t on.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It isn't TERRIBLE, but I am so much more interested in soccer, college basketball, and hockey that I've really only caught the XFL in passing. I did watch the second half of the Guardians game against LA and found myself rooting for them, but only because of the NY, and I couldn't tell you who seemed good or even if I enjoyed it.

A few friends and i bet on the week 2 games and were out at a bar. That made it fun.

But otherwise - I agree. I'm soccer/hockey all day. now with conf tourneys and NCAA coming, college basketball too.

I guess I really don't need more football.

Reactions: NCRanger

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Bill O'Brian making more terrible trades after he gave up his top picks last season for an average LT and a good #2 receiver.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Giants should have about $32 million remaining. Gettleman wanted to leave $20 million cushion going into the season. Not sure why so much. Leaves $12 million to spend with that self imposed budget. Hate that they tagged Williams. If they extend him, his $16 million salary could go down to $12-$14 million. Gets you some more money to work with.

Really hoping they sign Littleton as far as remaining major free agents go.

I am not sure if there is an edge rusher out there they would like to add or can afford to.

I think they absolutely sign Witten.

I hope they draft Simmonds.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
So now the 1st day of signings and hype are out of the way, Brady gonna drag this out for a week like a gameshow I presume?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Martinez is a "meh" from me. It's not a terrible contract. He graded out bad last year but also had a broken hand. Issue is that his pass defending has never been all that great.
Yea this is my concern too. Is this just a slight bump to Ogeltree at the end of the day but 2 years younger? Or is it a little more than a slight bump with his tackling ability? Is he fine if we give him the right help at LB? Connelly, Mayo, and Simmonds*?

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Honestly don’t know much about Fant. Anyone got a read on him? Is decent?

Well Barnwell's write up on him at espn is LOL

Barnwell grades the biggest deals: Who won the Stefon Diggs trade?

The Jets desperately need offensive linemen to try to protect Sam Darnold, but I'm not entirely sure Fant is one. He is a college basketball player who took only a handful of snaps at tight end, and the Seahawks tried Fant as their starting left tackle in 2016, with middling results over 664 snaps. He then tore his ACL during the summer of 2017, with Seattle eventually acquiring Duane Brown. When Fant returned, he typically served as a sixth offensive lineman and quasi-tight end, though he was an injury replacement for two games at right tackle in 2018 and four at left tackle in 2019, including a playoff win over the Eagles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad