GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
You're right, both are/were #1s at time, but I want an all around All Star like a Lidstrom or a a Keith. A rock that the whole team can depend on for a solid decade. The Leafs haven't had one in the three decades I've followed the team.

Aside from that, it annoys me that really solid Dmen get traded every single year and the Leafs are NEVER involved.
I mean, that would be nice, but they're quite hard to come by.

Comparing it to Boston, I don't think Rielly is far off McAvoy (when he's "on"); the issue is that the next 5 D men that you would likely have are on Boston.

Building the group up as a unit and allocating cap space to that needs to be a priority. Look at Vegas and Tampa.

However, I'm also starting to believe that Rielly may need to be part of the 'purge' that needs to happen with this team, but we'll see how that develops.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gallagbi

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I mean, that would be nice, but they're quite hard to come by.

Comparing it to Boston, I don't think Rielly is far off McAvoy (when he's "on"); the issue is that the next 5 D men that you would likely have are on Boston.

Building the group up as a unit and allocating cap space to that needs to be a priority. Look at Vegas and Tampa.

However, I'm also starting to believe that Rielly may need to be part of the 'purge' that needs to happen with this team, but we'll see how that develops.

Rielly has been a warrior through his time here and he's signed to a very fair contract. I want him here through whatever we're about to go through personally. He's been good and does a ton for the team on and off the ice.

In a few years when the inevitable rebuild/retool happens, then maybe it's something that will happen but I don't think that will be for a few years at the minimum.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Rielly has been a warrior through his time here and he's signed to a very fair contract. I want him here through whatever we're about to go through personally. He's been good and does a ton for the team on and off the ice.

In a few years when the inevitable rebuild/retool happens, then maybe it's something that will happen but I don't think that will be for a few years at the minimum.
That's likely what will happen and I can't see a full-scale rebuild while Matthews is on this coming contract. However, that doesn't preclude them from having a bad season and finishing in the bottom 10 in a one-off, as some teams have done.

But this summer and next, some big things need altering, which extends past the players. But aside from Matthews, I think everything should be on the table, and that may include pushing/forcing some players out.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
This team needs a real #1 dman. There hasn't been one in at least 3 decades.

Rielly is a great player. But he's just not capable of anchoring a D corps to a Cup. That much is clear.
Agreed. An elite goalie improves all your d-lines, and costs less. They can make an average defense look good, and a good defense look elite.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Beyond the fact that Marner has a NMC, his contract expires the exact same time as Tavares. Re-sign Marner and use Tavares' money to built out the rest of the roster.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If he wants out. Who would be trade candidates.

Of playoff teams.

Isles.
Caps.
Preds.

Need scoring.

Jersey.
Seattle.

I could see being interested and he may be willing to go there.

Not sure the fits though.

Isles you might do Dobson? Or one of pluck/Pelech plus?

I still think that mercer/nemec would work.

Seattle I don’t see a fit really?

Anaheim could give up some prospects if they want to compete.

Would Detroit take him?

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
If Marner were to move, LA would likely be the destination.

To Toronto: Mitch Marner
To Los Angeles: Pierre-Luc Dubois + Brandt Clarke + 2025 2nd Rounder

PLD is definitely not a popular name especially around here but we do kill two birds with one stone here. We add a second line center and a right hand future top four all around defenceman.

Moving a position of strength to address weak spots in our lineup.

I would then use our 1st, this 2nd along with whatever else to acquire Saros.

Last edited:

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Marner isn't going to waive

He's a Toronto boy, A fan of the team, he's been here close on a decade and I'm sure he's got a ton of mates on the team and his family lives in the GTA

Best of luck getting him to agree to move

Reactions: ACC1224

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012

PLD is definitely not a popular name especially around here but we do kill two birds with one stone here. We add a second line center and a right hand future top four all around defenceman.

No thanks.

Don't mind the rest and the Saros cycle though.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Beyond the fact that Marner has a NMC, his contract expires the exact same time as Tavares. Re-sign Marner and use Tavares' money to built out the rest of the roster.
$22 million gets you a defenceman or two and an elite goalie.

At some point, we have to lean into our strengths and cut our weaknesses in order to finally address our on-ice systemic problems.

If we can do that deftly, that is: Flip Tavares $11M into something resembling very good pieces, not necessarily elite pieces, and if in the next two years we stumble into the type of wingers and depth we need through our prospects...and if Marner re-signs at an objectively team friendly deal, then I see a way forward with him.

And that's an if caveated by what else is available in two summers. I'm no longer in the camp that needs to trade him in order to maximize his worth. Our cap allotment for him is his trade value. $11M dollars to spend elsewhere offsets lost value by simply buying it back.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

He has a NMC. Very unlikely he waived for Toronto.

They have fiala. Kempe. But I guess they could go for Marner.

It would have to be a July 2 and dump 1/2 the cap on a team like Anaheim. Then la.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He has a NMC. Very unlikely he waived for Toronto.

They have fiala. Kempe. But I guess they could go for Marner.

It would have to be a July 2 and dump 1/2 the cap on a team like Anaheim. Then la.
Looks like Dubois NTC kicks in for next season, so there’s a small window he can be traded wherever. He would address the second line center position but he would also be in the dead for cap purposes more than anything.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

He's a Toronto boy, A fan of the team, he's been here close on a decade and I'm sure he's got a ton of mates on the team and his family lives in the GTA

If only our prior GM was clever enough to figure all that out when negotiating his contract. Maybe Tre will.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
If only our prior GM was clever enough to figure all that out when negotiating his contract. Maybe Tre will.
I don't see it. Nylander kind of rolled over him and there had never been any sign that Willie wanted to play anywhere else. The boys seem to own this GM just like the last one.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

There’s two sides to that coin, every year he stays he gets more disliked in his hometown and the more the media puts pressure on him and his family. Throw in a 12+ mil contract onto that fire and it could get ugly fast for him. The alternative of making more money after taxes somewhere with better winters and more freedom when he comes home for the summer starts looking better and better.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008

Nor should we want him too. Fans are emotional right now. I get that he bought zero goodwill with his contract demand. Of course fans will turn on any player once they believe his greed takes away from the teams ability to win. But he is an elite winger and still young. You don’t give that away. Tavares contract is the one killing us.

He really needs to restore fans faith with a more team friendly next deal. If he has learned he will. If he demands every last dollar he should drive himself to the airport

horner

May 22, 2007

I don't think we are going to beat Boston ther goaltenders is incredible.
The noice in Toronto is going to get loud.
Ĥe may want to leave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad