OT: 2019 Football Thread: Part IV – More like the "Football Thread", amirite?

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
17 games is really stupid for many reasons, but only one team getting a bye is worth adding an extra playoff team. Only the best team in each conference should get a bye week. No more than 7 playoff teams in each conference though, otherwise you will regularly see teams with losing records making the playoffs.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I can’t see the players signing off on this. I wouldn’t. Unless you’re gonna pay everyone extra for the 17th game

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
No posts about the new playoff format? Completely changes the league.

In case anyone didn't see it: the proposal would go into effect next year. It would add an extra playoff team per conference as a 7 seed, and only the 1 seed in each conference would get a bye.

Oh, and there's a 17th game.

Early on my thoughts are I f*cking hate it. Unless of course the Chiefs finish first every year for awhile which is possible. :D Thoughts?
Jets and Giants still won't make the playoffs. I like the idea of fewer preseason games but that'll give them a reason to charge more for tickets.
I can’t see the players signing off on this. I wouldn’t. Unless you’re gonna pay everyone extra for the 17th game
Most players will wind up getting a raise out of it so if the NFLPA is a democracy they'd vote yes. But it's not and they'll vote no.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

In case anyone didn't see it: the proposal would go into effect next year. It would add an extra playoff team per conference as a 7 seed, and only the 1 seed in each conference would get a bye.

Early on my thoughts are I f*cking hate it. Unless of course the Chiefs finish first every year for awhile which is possible. :D Thoughts?
:blush: I know there's words somewhere in this post but I can't focus on them for some reason

Reactions: BreadmanGetsPaid

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
If the players don't agree it's because of their anger towards Goodell and for them getting trampled last CBA negotiation. Even though it's a pretty decent deal for them. That's how the world works today- reactionary and angry.

I heard a former player on the Radio this morning indicate the players SHOULD agree to it and he prefaced it with 'I know I'm gonna heat for this but'. It's like offering a view not agreed to by the echo chamber majority is offensive nowadays, it's really sad. There's 'Wrong' and then there's 'My Opinion'.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

I hate it too, but love the chick in your new avatar. Who is she?

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Pretty good game for the Guardians yesterday, better in the first half though. Luis Perez (3rd string QB) is the best Guardians QB so far.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Joe Douglas hinted that he's going WR, saying this team "needs explosive playmakers". With Robbie probably leaving via FA, giving Darnold a WR core of Crowder + a bunch of scrubs is almost as bad as giving him a terrible OL. I think the move is to use the high pick(s) on WRs and then fill in the OL via Free agency and later picks. I don't have concrete numbers to support this but i feel like high drafted OL who seem like "can't miss" studs seem to bust more often than elite WR talents.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Joe Douglas hinted that he's going WR, saying this team "needs explosive playmakers". With Robbie probably leaving via FA, giving Darnold a WR core of Crowder + a bunch of scrubs is almost as bad as giving him a terrible OL. I think the move is to use the high pick(s) on WRs and then fill in the OL via Free agency and later picks. I don't have concrete numbers to support this but i feel like high drafted OL who seem like "can't miss" studs seem to bust more often than elite WR talents.

There’s a ton of available OL in free agency. They need to add 2-3 of them at minimum and go after a stud WR in the first round.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Jets should take a tackle with their first pick and a receiver with their second pick.

WR class is stacked. There will definitely be a good receiver available at 48. Can’t say the same for tackle.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Jets should take a tackle with their first pick and a receiver with their second pick.

WR class is stacked. There will definitely be a good receiver available at 48. Can’t say the same for tackle.

Truly depends on what they accomplish in free agency.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Guardians were GREAT yesterday. Great defense, great running game, QB Luis Perez is improving.

Total turnaround from two weeks ago.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Do you guys actually enjoy it? I feel like it's just watching low budget football.

Edit: And no I don't mean the Jets and Giants.

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
The XFL rules are great, especially the kickoffs and the general transparency, and the storylines are there. In Week 2 when the QB said they needed to change the entire offensive gameplan it was embarassing, and the week after was even worse. But in the last two weeks they have started to turn things around. Following this has been awesome.

The football quality is basically college-level from what I've seen, so it is definitely watchable.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Do you guys actually enjoy it? I feel like it's just watching low budget football.

Edit: And no I don't mean the Jets and Giants.

I came in with an open mind, and have watched a decent amount. But after 4 weeks I gotta say - its bad. The rule ideas are cool but it's generally just bad football.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->